Tattoos

MiniMadWoman

Sherry, I know, I hate needles...I've gotten better over the years, but I used to lock myself in the bathroom, or have my mom (a retired RN) chase me around the table so she couldn't give me the annual flu shot when I was a kid. Of course, those shots were with glass syringes, and really nice stainless steel needles...that she (sterilized) and used over and over,lol. There's something to be said for disposable needles,lol. Honestly, because the ankle area is so tender, it took me a lot of concentration to not yell a bit,lol.

Holly, I hope I don't need any IV's near my ankles/calves when I get old...I'll make them give me PICC line or something,lol. I must be weird, cause I think it's kind of cool to see older ladies, like in their 80's with a tattoo---we had this patient named "Rose" who had a rose on her shoulder or chest...can't remember, it was about 16 yrs ago...but I was really suprised when I saw it, and thought she must have been fun when she was younger...so many times we see these wrinkled old bodies and think of people as they are today. My favorite part of nursing is to get to know my patients, and talk with them about their earlier lives--I once met a lady from the British "USO" who told me how she met her future American soldier husband by pulling up her skirt a bit, and hitching a ride in their jeep. :o

I do respect that tattoos are not for everyone though...I myself am not really big on piercings...except ears and tiny ones in the nose---I'd love to get a really really tiny diamond in my nose...that looks just like a speck of glitter...but I'm too sqeamish,lol.

Jen, I've usually gone by word of mouth as far as a tattoo artist--I really liked the guy who did my last one, my friend and I met with him before he did mine...I won't deny it's a little intimidating to walk into a "tattoo parlor", but I really wanted this one, so I bit the bullet, and walked in...lol I spent lots and lots of time researching that dragonfly. ( I love the symbolism of the dragonfly--they start out as nymphs ( I think that's the term) and when they break out as adults, it can be s a very long, difficult, and possibly painful process ( not sure who has talked to the dragonflies,lol) but they turn into these amazing ( sometimes beautiful) creatures....I'd like to think that symbolizes my struggles, and that's why I got it...

Theresa, can't wait to see your pin up girl.! My friend wanted to get the Memphis Bell on her hip...but she's still looking for a design of the plane that will come out with better detail. She wanted to get the "girl" from the plane instead, but she was worried it'dlook funny to have the girl on her butt...lol...maybe I can talk her into it now ( since they can make the design and "try it out" first).

I just think it's a great way to memorialize a person or pet, like Jeff and Terri---it's like they're always with you! I think the best tattoos are something that really means something to a person :)

The 20th anniversary symbol is 'china".I thought of somekind of design with Chinese symbols for our Anniversary date...but DH is not so sure of that ....yet....lol. He mentioned names, but I'm kind of superstitous, and think that would be really bad luck to have his name tattooed somewhere...maybe I could get that in chinese ,lol

Well, I have to "be quiet" now and get moving, off to Chicago to see my Grandma :p Have a great day !

Thanks for this topic Theresa, I love talking about tattoos...and seeing pictures....we're waiting Pam ;) lol :p

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 2 i have a huge angel on my back i got when i was 22 for my grandpa and my dear friend that died when i was in hs. I have a four leaf clover I got before my wedding on my left ankel for my husband bc he is irish. I have a few ideas in the works i want some sort of tat for my dear friend I just lost to cancer in the beganing of the month. Hmmmm what to do any ideas?? oh yea and im scared if needles too so go fig I love my tats :o ill try and get pics up.

you wouldnt think I had any either :)

I am not against tattoos at all. My dad had them up and down both his arms and on his chest. He had the old fashioned blue ones from the 1930s.

I have diabetes. I do not have healing issues but I guess I do not want to chance it. I always wanted to have a nose ring too but also I do not want to chance getting a infection.

I am jealous and wish I had some to share.

I have two small tattoos on my back. Unfortunately I do not have pictures of any of them. My mom says she is getting me anew camera for my 30th birthday next week, so i will be able to finally win the war with a camera.

I have a Mickey Mouse on my right shoulder blade that I got when I was 16 and Mickey Mouse was my favourite cartoon charactor (he still is) and I have a sword with a yellow rose wound around it that I got when I was 22. I loved the design that I seen in a magazine and tried to have it recreated, it did not come out the same but I love it anyway. I have been drawing my next tattoo which will be a large phoniex between my shoulder blades. I have been trying to come up with a good design for almost 6 years and I still have not gotten the drawing to match what I have in my mind.

OK.... you asked - I complied. I couldn't take pics of all of them myself. I have two that my arms don't quite bend enough for so hubby will have to do those when he wakes up.

post-3223-1238429963_thumb.jpg

OK, for some reason this isn't letting me load anymore. Says the attachment exceeded the space....makes no sense. So I will have to see what's wrong and post the others. In the meantime heres one of hearts and stars on my left foot. (What a horrible thing to show - feet are so ugly!)

I guess I can't ever post any more pictures. No matter where I try - it won't let me so I went into my controls and clicked on

Manage your Attachments and this is what it says:

You have used 5.89MB of 5.86MB

So I guess no more pics for me on Greenleaf huh?

I have a eagle feather with lace and beads on my left shoulder that i drew and got for my 60th birthday. It needs my Husbands name and the date of his birth and death yet and on the other shoulder I want the birthdates of my grandkids but have not decided how to do it yet. I draw all my own. Cayrol

Practically everyone I know has tattoos - except me! I could probably have as many free ones as I could possibly want b/c my old roommate was a tattoo artist and he now owns his own shop a couple towns over. I remember when he was aprenticing and his brother (another tattoo artist) would come to visit from Florida. I would come home from work to find a house full of people. They would pull the cushions off of my couch and lay them out on the floor and people would come in to be tattooed. He had trunks full of equipment (all of the stuff that makes it safe and sanitary, etc.). I guess I just never came up with anything that I would want on my body for the rest of my life

As far as tattoos fading as you get older - I saw pics of a 90 year old that had tattoos for 70+ years who would come in and get the color redone every so often. My old roommate said it really wasn't any harder to tattoo older skin versus young skin.

I spent lots and lots of time researching that dragonfly. ( I love the symbolism of the dragonfly--they start out as nymphs ( I think that's the term) and when they break out as adults, it can be s a very long, difficult, and possibly painful process ( not sure who has talked to the dragonflies,lol) but they turn into these amazing ( sometimes beautiful) creatures....I'd like to think that symbolizes my struggles, and that's why I got it...

I love your dragonfly Cathy.. and yeah the above is kind of why I am have used the name Dragonfly online for the last 9 years! They are also my personal Totem, and always appear (sometimes mysteriously) when I need a sign on what to do.

One day I will get a dragonfly tattoo on my ankle (to cover an existing one of someone's initials - urgh! ) just haven't got a lot of faith that somene will be able to pull off what I want.. LOL

Interesting topic! I love the story of the Older lady with the rose!

I've got a few, but none that you can see unless I'm intentionally showing them off. I can even get away with wearing a one-piece at the beach and you'd never know!

I dont' show them off because mine are for me, they're there as a personal reminder of things that have passed or will become.

When folks I know find out how many I have, and where, most of the time I think they're going to pass out!

Dragonflies & damselflies are the nicest insects to paddle with. The damselflies like to light on my hands & arms while I'm paddling, and some of their colors are so gorgeous! I feel like I'm wearing living jewels!

Greg, you should get back on that dragon! It's sooooo cool!

Here's a picture of hubby's dragon:

post-267-1238466788_thumb.jpg

This shows the original art work and the tattoo in the middle of his back.

[Well here is my dragon. It was going to be colored and a whole scene around it was going to be tattooed to my back, but I lost the time or interest to finish it.]

Thanks, Greg. That's kinda creepy. But then, you don't have to look at it! <_<

Greg, you should get back on that dragon! It's sooooo cool!

Here's a picture of hubby's dragon:

post-267-1238466788_thumb.jpg

This shows the original art work and the tattoo in the middle of his back.

Yikes! And I thought Greg's dragon was creepy! (I mean that in a good way, of course <_< .)

I should eventually finish it I guess, it's getting old and faded ( like me :) ). It's probably 20 years old now.

greg your never too old to get him finished my mother in-law got one for her 50th bday that was also 8 years ago but hey if you want to finish him than finish him. im on the search now for my next one ;)

I'm a big scaredy-cat so I'm too afraid to get one - but I think they're awesome! DH wants to eventually get one, a phoenix that wraps around his thumb and the back of his hand.

I'd get one on my hip or shoulder blade if I wasn't so afraid of needles. But I don't know what I'd want. Also - I change my mind a lot and I don't want something that I'll think is dumb when I'm 80. ;)

I'd get one on my hip or shoulder blade if I wasn't so afraid of needles. But I don't know what I'd want. Also - I change my mind a lot and I don't want something that I'll think is dumb when I'm 80. :)

get something that has meaning to you so when ur 80 you can tell ur grandkids what it ment to you ;)

I'm not one to worry too much about the future . . . I get tattoos that mean something to me now. When I'm old (okay older!) I'll look back and have the memory of why the tattoo meant so much to me "way back when". Kind of like photos of me in the 70's . . . I was so cool and so skinny!! LOL!!