Arcade Vintage Kitchen Set

alycemina

Hi all,

I have a vintage Arcade kitchen set - stove, refrig, table and chairs, Hoover cabinet - it is metal and has chips as would be expected. Clearly I dont want to paint it, since it will lose its value and it was expensive. However, it looks ratty and when I did a mock up of the room box I was envisioning, it didnt look very nice.

Should I make an equally ratty room - wornout wall paper, etc? What would you do.

Thanks

Alyce

You could do a kitchen roombox. Use the method shown in the gazette for brick showing through the stucco. Tile the floor, but break a few corners off so it looks worn. Have an old person in a robe living there. Maybe a bunch of kitties. It would be cute.

I like the idea of a worn out old kitchen, you could have coffee rings on the table and a cat scratching at the chairs
Don't forget the wornout linoleum spots in front of the back door & at the sink & stove!

Michael Garman, my favorite miniature artist, does grittily realistic scenes of real life and part of the wonder of his work is the distressing that he does. He works in 1:6 scale but all the detailing is totally amazing. I've been to his gallery a dozen times and feel like I'll never be able to see it all. Each time I discover something new. Here's one of his scenes of a kitchen that you might find inspiring.

There are a couple of close up pictures of that scene as well as pictures of the rest of his inner city in my gallery here.

I found out a couple of months ago that Mr Garman is retiring and closing his art gallery in Colorado Springs. I almost cried.

Deb

Deb I love all the details one can discover in your gallery of Michael Garman's work, I have been pouring over those pics again and again!!!

Hugs

You could even put the kitchen set in a cottage - lots of people use old furnishings and fittings in their cottages/cabins. Sometimes, they purposely buy them for the look; sometimes they've just "always been there".

I will be aging another set of Chrysnbon kitchen kits when I build the Adams, just for that look, Deb! BTW, that looks very much like a short story illustration from an old Saturday Evening Post!

• 1 month later...
Michael Garman, my favorite miniature artist, does grittily realistic scenes of real life and part of the wonder of his work is the distressing that he does. He works in 1:6 scale but all the detailing is totally amazing. I've been to his gallery a dozen times and feel like I'll never be able to see it all. Each time I discover something new. Here's one of his scenes of a kitchen that you might find inspiring.

There are a couple of close up pictures of that scene as well as pictures of the rest of his inner city in my gallery here.

I found out a couple of months ago that Mr Garman is retiring and closing his art gallery in Colorado Springs. I almost cried.

Deb

I used to rent a place with a fridge like that 8 years ago - kid you not. Anyone that yearns for the good old days needs to have a fridge like that to defrost every week. They will find out very quickly that the good old days weren't so good. Gah - the mess it used to make!

I just found this thread and was surprised to see these Michael Garmen pieces. The name seemed sort familiar and the aged kitchen pic rang a bell with me so I searched through your gallery to see if I could confirm my gut feeling! And there it was.....

Years ago, in Hudson, Ohio, I came across a couple of pieces for sale at like a yard sale or outdoor shop sale or something and showed them to my Dad, who loves that sort of artwork....he bought one, a wall hung building facade - "Leroy and Bertha's Bar and Grill". Slightly different than the one in the picture here. There is no figure on the steps, but there is one standing inside looking out the grimey windows. It is a fascinating piece and fabulously aged!!! I'll try and snap a pic next time I'm over there if anyone is interested.