Sewing machine update

alycemina

Hi all,

I did some research on the web and found out that the vintage Singer Featherweigth sewing machine is much loved by quilters and some references to making doll clothes as well. Looking at pictures on ebay, you can see the stitch length goes up to 30/inch and that the throat plate is very narrow and low profile (since it doesnt have to accomodate fancy stitching like zig zag). I have a bid on one that seems in especially good condition but if I lose it, there are tons of them. Made circa 1930s and early 1960 they are also collectors item for the fancy designs, but I just want one that works well, so dont have to compete with the collectors. I'll let you know if I win and it works well for mini clothes.

Thanks for all the replies to my previous post as well as the super hints on using beading needles and thin thread for hand sewing.

I've read the same thing about Featherweights. Quilters adore them for their even stitches, and they're quite pleasing to the eye. Another good thing about them is that all inner parts are metal. These machine were built to last a lifetime.

I hope you succeed in getting a good one.

Other than the belts and tyres and regular cleaning & oiling, those little critters are wonderful. I, too, wish I had one, but I'd need somewhere to put it and I covet every spare inch of space for my houses!

I have one of these machines. When I was a teenager my mom found it at a garage sale. It was in perfect condition, not a scratch on it. She only paid like $15 for it. She was trying to get see if it worked and could not get it to and I sat down to look at it. She told me if I could get it to sew than I could have it. I got it to sew and it works great! The needle just goes in different than on her other machines. So when I left home I got to take it and even though I don't sew all the time like she does it has been so handy. I have seen some of these sell for a really high amount on ebay but I would never part with mine. My another one that belonged to my grandmother. She used hers all the time so it was scratched up and looked well used. But it still works. If you can find one at a reasonable price I highly recommend it!!

I still sew everything on my old singer treddle sewing machine that belonged to my mother and grandmother, it is perfect for sewing quilts and dolls clothes as the stitches go really small and even. I have two electric sewing machines and an overlocker (Serger) but I never take then out of the cupboard anymoe lol I just love my ole treddlie. There is even a group for sewers who use a treddle sewing machine lol. I think it is called treddle on.:)

Cheers Debra.

I learned to sew on my grandmother's old treadle. It was a White not a Singer but I did inherit my mother's old Singer. Wish I had kept it but I traded it in for my portable. It is ok but mom's was better.