How do you use your Dremel?

Liggysasha

So my Dremel should be arriving any day now. Santa is being very nice and letting me have my present early and not wait until Christmas Day!

Soooo... how do you use your Dremel? What tips and tricks have you found? Obliviously sanding... but what else??

(Can you tell I'm excited about getting it???!!)

I use mine for sanding, drilling, grinding, cutting, routing, channeling, shaving and just about anything else in miniature or full size you can imagine. :wave:

same here now if it would only wash the dishes for me I would say it is best thing ever invented!

I have a great attachment that will plane the edge of a full size door, I live in a very old house that constantly twists and turns and my doors start to stick, so I break out my handy dandy Dremel and my palner attachment and the door is fixed in just minutes without even having to remove it from it's hinges. :wave:

All you need in life are water, food, shelter and your Dremel. :wave:

I need to set myself one of these. I really don't like sanding - I use an electric nail machine or just regular sand paper. It is tough on my fingers/ hands especially in small areas. If you have your nails done at a salon, it's that machine they use to file down the acrylic. My sister has an old one that she doesn' t use.

I use mine for sanding, drilling, grinding, cutting, routing, channeling, shaving and just about anything else in miniature or full size you can imagine. :wave:

Routing!! I'd love to do that. I've been hoping to make my own moldings or cut out windows. I have the router bits and even Dremel's plunge router attachment but I just can't figure it out. I've looked for tutorials online but I'm still stuck. Any ideas for me?

Thanks a million!

My husband bought me a dremel last year for the spring fling--which is a VERY sore subject b/c I never got it done; it is ALMOST done, but NOT completely done and I want to throw it every time I look at it. I didn't know what to do with the dremel then and I don't know what to do with it NOW. But I BET I could have FINISHED my Spring Fling a lot quicker using it!

I used mine today to drill peg holes in the front of a house. Wait. I should clarify that statement coz it sounds like I was doing something that would worry my neighbors. :) I'm working on the RGT front opening shoppe and, well, I don't like dollhouses that aren't open where you can see everything inside. I love the Greenleaf style of having the house back open where you can see into it all the time. But the only bit of character in the shoppe exterior is the front. So instead of hinging the front and the roof, I tossed the hinges in the scrap box and drilled holes in the frame on the front of the shoppe and on the roof. Then I drilled a second set of holes in the sides of the front and on the roof piece and glued pegs into them. Now I can attach the front and the roof when I want to or just leave them off with no obstruction to the interior view. The dremel was perfect for that job. I'm always finding uses for it and keep it standing in the charger on my work table. It's literally my right hand.

Deb

All you need in life are water, food, shelter and your Dremel. :)

And internet access to you can get to the Greenleaf forum! :banana:

I mostly use my Dremel for sanding. I wish Lowe's or somebody would hold a class on using the various attachments. I don't feel like investing in add-ons if I'm not going to use them, and I need to know how to use them before I can decide if I will use them.

It's arrived!!! I spent half an hour this afternoon looking through all the papers and instructions that come with it. I think I've got my head around what all the different bits do now! But I am making a mental checklist of all the extras I want to buy! Actually most of the ones I want I think hubby would use for work, so I might be able to get him to buy them!

So I'm off to try a little bit of sanding - starting out easy!

(Oh and I might polish my jewelry as well!!!)

I use my Dremels for everything !!!! All that Greg mentioned, plus I make my own molding, siding, floorboards, even windows. The uses & ideas are endless. If somebody said your wife or your Dremel, I would have to think hard about it ! (lol)

Steve in PA

Let's see, how many ways can you use your Dremel? I use mine for drilling, grinding, routing, carving, cutting, sanding, and many other things.........polishing too! It does not work well with my bread machine however.....................

When I got my first house my husband took me to Lowes for a Dremel. He bought me a zillion attachments most of which I have no clue what they are for. I am trying to figure it all out and not to be scared of it :yes: But one part of it that I do love and have gotten the hang of is my little skill saw attachment. Once you figure out what the stuff is for it's great but I really could of used a class :congrats:

Well then, there are more people who'd like to join a class. Wasn't there a gantleman forum member who used to work/demonstrate Dremels? I recall him giving advice on which one to get. Maybe he'd be willing to teach an on-line class?

(Can't recall his name for the life of me but I can remember what some of his project looked like. The CRS syndrome is kicking in hard this morning.)

Sasha,

It's a miracle tool, I hope you adore it.

I use mine for everything Greg mentioned, plus yes, there is a jigsaw attachment (came with my mega-set), which I have used in my little apartment to do plywood-cutting up to and including scratch-built additions.

I've chucked tiny dowels in my drill and used the Dremel's sanding attachments on the dowel to essentially rig up a mini lathe (for turned spindles on chairs).

In full-size life, I've used it to get stubborn grout out from between tiles, and used the planer attachment on doors at my parents' house.

The best mini work I've used it for was cutting over 1,500 tiny slate chips into shingles for my daughter's main dollhouse and its two additions. The diamond blades for stone work are expensive (well, it adds up over the 1,500 tiles), but a *lot* cheaper than the only place I could find to buy real slate scale roof shingles from! This took forever (and requires access to slate country), so I can't really recommend it, but now I know exactly why buying them costs so much. The Dremel made it happen! Without that tool I couldn't have done it at all.

I want that dishwashing attachment, LOL!