Shackman miniatures?

nechee

Shackman's been around a long time . . . I remember, even as a kid, having several pieces. I still end up with them, especially when I buy lots of stuff on ebay. I would say they are a nice enough "middle of the road" miniature, of course . . . we're NOT talking Reutter or Bespaq! I also had several of their 1:12 baby dolls when I was a kid. I still think the baby dolls are beautifully done, especially for the price. They have little molded shoes and painted socks, and all the ones I had were wearing a little diaper or tights and had a hooded fleece jacket in either pink or blue.

In the 1970's B Shackman Company in New York Made novelties including paper dolls and dollhouse furniture. The products where made in Japan, ROC and Taiwan They made many mass produced knockoff of Schoenhut and Lumby pieces. The quality and value of the pieces vary considerably but many are sturdy somewhat chunky so good for small hands. I have a Victorian settee and a piano that looks nice in my dollhouse as long as you do not examine them to closely!

The furniture has an undeniable charm, though I have many much finer pieces, I have kept these around and used them for years and years.

I have a Shackman deacons bench with the label on the bottom. It says Shackman made in Japan. An armoir I have says B. Shackman, 85 Fifth Avenue, NY, made in Korea. It even has the inspector's number on it. I figure they are from the 70's. They are two of my favorite pieces. I have a few other pieces of Reeve's Line from the 70's.

I have some Shackman pieces from when I was a kid in the 70s. I *think* we ordered them from that mail-order catalog that also sold Chrysnbon-- the catalog was called Liberty or Federal or a name like that.

They're cute, mid-range-- the wood's kind of grainy, i.e. unpolished.

I probably have 1/2 doz or so shackman items bought cheaply on evil-bay over the years. I like how simple and solid they are without looking too 'toy' like. My favorite is a grandfather clock I have in my Glencroft.

I happen to be a big Shackman fan. I adore it.

I agree and I have quite a lot of it in my houses. The finish of the pieces ranges from exquisite to somewhat rustic and the prices range widely also. I find it all delightful.

:)

• 2 years later...

I went to your shop (on Ruby Lane) and did not find any Shackman (perhaps they are not up yet?)

I do know that the prices on eBay vary from the OK to very high (for my budget). I love my Shackman and I have pieces in all my dollhouses. Since some of them are very slightly below 1:12" scale, they are great for the smaller houses we all love to build (as well as the large houses we all love to build)! Seeing the prices on eBay, I am glad that I inherited and bought as many pieces as I did a couple of years ago -- many would be out of my reach now. :)

:)