Making Fabric Stay Put.

heidiiiii

I am working on a project (that I cannot divulge at the moment). I am using tulle ribbon cut into strips to make a skirt. The tulle is sticking up in every direction. If I tied it down with string, placed it how I wanted it, and sprayed with hairspray, Do you think that would keep it flatter then it is now?

I have never tried it and wanted some feedback before I tried it.

Hairspray is a lacquer and the spray dries in droplets, so you have all these neat wee irregularities to catch & hold dust. Dunking it in undiluted liquid laundry starch works, but i also like the diluted white glue.

Heidi, check your doll....do you see droplets? I don't think so. I've been using hairspray since 1990 and never has a customer of mine complained of their doll's clothing attracting dust or having droplets. Most of the dollmakers use hairspray - some use a bit of fabric softener with some water to dilute it, but it doesn't hold as well as the hairspray. You only use a short burst of the spray, don't soak the fabric in it. Perhaps that is the problem. What I do is to spray quickly all around then hold the doll in my hand for a few seconds, and then arrange the folds of her dress, sleeves, etc. There are no fumes.....perhaps it was the brand of hairspray that you used. There are brands that are not fragrant.

I made curtains solely out of lacey headbands and finesse extra hold hairspray. It worked, and I didn't find it got dusty or dirty, or blotchy in any way, either. Would aerosol, spray starch work, if your worried about using hairspray? The kind used when some folks(not me) iron?

I wouldn't expect the droplets to be a problem with the newer hairsprays, I'm thinking 'way back in the dawn of time when I still used hairspray. I use spray starch and smooth it with my fingers when working with draping.

I remember when I built my first house, I pinned my cotton curtains to a piece of foamcore and used hairspray to totally soak them. It's been over 20 years and those things are still hard as rock and unaffected by humidity. If you soak something down like that, it can change the color of some things - the pink satin curtains I did the same way came out darker.

Norman was an innocent little spider who hitched a ride with the doll Heidi got from Gina the Wolfmeister. Heidi greeted him with a mighty swat and now the only way Norman will wear a pink tutu is if Chelsea paints a picture entitled "Dead Norman in Tutu".

ROFL!!!

I am making Norman a death shroud. Next I am going to fashion popsicle and skinny sticks into a mighty ship, place Norman inside, float it in the tub and give him a proper Viking funeral!

Oh, I see, you're dressing Norman in the pink tutu for his funeral. I think it would look & burn better if you put the tutu on over the shroud, though. Maybe catch some of the stray bugs in your house to put in his liittle ship to send with him to Spider Valhalla.