Hi from Southern Mississippi!!

ercandy12

I am so excited to be picking out my first dollhouse this week! I've been researching on the internet for days now to make sure I make the most informed decision. I am 22 years old, and for years I have wanted a dollhouse like the one my pastor's wife had when I was just a little girl. All I can remember is the many rooms and thousands of miniatures. I want to say it was the Victorian style, (which I like) -- but from looking around online I really like the Georgian style. My father who has background in woodworking and craftsmanship is going to help with the construction. I was set on getting the Beacon Hill but now I am leaning more towards the Lily. I am not sure! I would like to have deep rooms since I will probably spend many years filling them up and also high ceilings (more than 8") I definitely want the 1:12 scale. Any advice? My price range is $150-$250

Welcome to the "little" family, Megan. If you build your own dollhouse you might findyourself, like the rest of us, with more than one; and that's OK. I'll come right out and let you know up front that this is an addictive hobby.

Do you have any miniature stores where you liive? I hunted all over when we passed through Vicksburg a couple of years ago, without success.

I hope Gustav fizzled out before it got where you are.

Welcome <_<

The Greenleaf houses I have built and seen have only had 8" ceilings in the main rooms. and while some of the houses are little jewels, the houses are not very deep nor are the rooms very large. If these are really criteria, it would be good if you could see some of these houses built (in a dollhouse store) or ask the people on this forum to give you the INTERNAL measurements of the rooms. The dimensions all dollhouse manufacturers give, that I have seen, are overall outside dimensions.

A lot of us end up bashing houses (all brands) because the dimensions are not quite what we want. If you like any of the RGT houses, most of their houses have 10" ceilings.

Good luck finding your perfect -- don't be afraid to bash -- and have fun!

:puke:

Well, I just couldn't wait any longer and we ordered the Lily. I think it will be fun, I am not sure about any stores that sell miniatures. Of course we have several hobby lobbys but I have found some really neat pieces on Ebay and will keep hunting for them in antique shops and fun little places like that. I'm sure I will have some questions once we start the building process! Thanks for the warm welcomes.

BTW --Gustav was a lot friendlier than Katrina. We made it through just fine in Hattiesburg

:fish1: Welcome to the neighborhood!

Congrats on the Lily. If you're like me you'll be popping out to see if it has come every few minutes. I'm expecting some cieling rosettes from England, and I'm going crazy! I'm rehabbing a Pierce and eyeing everything decorative and pouring over decorating books. I want to do a painted lady exterior! I got my first bags of shingles Tuesday, now I need to plan my exterior in detail.

Hope you have as much fun as I'm having! (Actually, decorate as much of the interior as you can before assembling - I'm pulling my hair out over some tight working conditions!)

Hi Megan, welcome to the forum! :p The Lily is a beautiful house - I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time building and decorating it! There are all kinds of wonderful members here, who will help you out with any questions you may have - and any problems that may come up. As Holly mentioned, there are blogs of Lily builds, and all sorts of wonderful places here to do your research and find inspiration.

Ah, ceiling rosettes! Andrea Barham has a nice way to make them using old brooches and polyclay for the molds and casting them in plaster. I would expect you could do something similar with other bits & bobs of jewelry for other architectural features.

• 2 weeks later...