New in Salt Lake City

:blink: I'm new to this site. I live in Salt lake City, Utah in what would be described in a real estate ad as "a cozy/quaint/charming 1941 cottage/bungalow in a quiet neighborhood on .33 acres, with over 20 trees, numerous fruit trees, an enormous grape arbor with a firepit, and plenty of mature landscaping". Translation: my house is small and my yardwork is never done. I have a longhair Saimese cat, Princess Caraboo.

I first got into dollhouses in elementary school. My first was a Christmas/birthday present built by my dad (wrong measurements, roof never completed, etc. For my 12th birthday/Christmas I got the Harrison. In my teen years I became involved with a medeival group and became dismayed with my Harrison, because it was never very authentic and a remodle was never completed. I gave the Harrison to my niece Heidi for her 13th birthday.

I made a few tiny houses for fund raisers.

After a few months of "homelessness" I recently acquired a near complete Pierce at a yardsale for $15. I am rehabbing it and need to get instructions so I can recreate some of the missing pieces (and know just what is going on with the dining room!). I have before pictures and am taking in progress pix to document its transformation. I intend to sell this house so I can afford bigger and better dollhouse projects. I plan to do the painted lady look and lavish interior detailing.

I currently have three unassebled kits: the Glencroft, the Duracroft Heritage and Farmhouse (my 11 year old niece's Christmas present). I am toying with the idea of creating roomboxes with foamcore.

Some of my dream projects include 221 B Baker Street (Sherlock Holmes' flat), a high Victorian with all the gingerbread trim, and an ultra authentic Tudor. Also, I want to do a bridal salon and dressmakers shop (Victorian).

Why I find miniatures so appealing is that you can have homes or furnishings outside of your budget, and you can encorporate so many different skills in furnisheing your small universe.

I do cross-stitch, needlepoint, crochet, sewing, costume design and other related skills. I have learned to turn on a lathe, which I hope to encorporate into my furnishings. I have a set of miniature woodcarving tools, but have yet to master this small detail work. I got a dremel tool last week. I have about 16 House of Miniaure kits to do (I'm working on the Queen Anne tester bed).

I have finished stitching a "Home Sweet Home" sampler, but its currently hiding, so I'll have to put it in the gallery when I find it. I am working on an early American style cross-stitch bedspread. I have two carpets (I made the Tabriz and my mother made the prayer rug) but these have blocking problems, so they need to go to a professional. I have made a few small objects, like a decoratively handwrapped broom, which I'm rather proud of.

I want to get into stained glass windows and collecting oil paintings by my 16 year old niece (I gave her one of those starter Tudor cottages with hearts on it for her first dollhouse.)

I am into interior design and want my houses to look as authentic as possible. I'm always scouring library books for ideas, appropriate details, and so forth. I plan to document my houses where possible.

My computer is unreliable and crashes at me for its own amusement. Will post pictures as soon as I gather them up!

Lynette

I have a respectable library and magazine clippings from the 70's.

post-3408-1219453741_thumb.jpg

Hi and welcome! Your off to a wonderful start. You can contact greenleaf directly and they can help with any missing parts. There is a spot just for instructions you can get off the web. ( not sure where. Not much help I know) Sounds like you have lots to keep you busy. After 5 posts you can start a gallery to keep all your pics in.

Welcome, Lynette! :D I'm so glad you have found us - you're going to fit right in. :blink: There is a lot to see here, please do browse around all over the site. I'm loking forward to seeing your pics and following your progress.

Hello and welcome to the forum! Congrats on the Pierce, i saw that one on KSL but I already have a Pierce so didn't want another. Can't wait to see how you fix it up! Sounds like you've got some great plans for other projects!

Welcome and have fun looking thru all the eye candy in the gallery. This site is wonderful for hints and eye candy! Overall very nice people here as well!

I'm a neighbor to you up north...close to Hill AFB :D:blink:

Belated welcome to the forum family, our power just came back on after having been turned off by Tropical Storm Fay dropping a couple of large trees on our power lines in two places along our road (as well as other places all over our area). I also have a Pierce to rehab, only I also have a doll family clamoring to move into it when it's finished.

• 1 month later...