Hello from the Bayou State

jdeer96

Hey everyone. My name is Jeremy. I'm from the Bayou state of Louisiana.

I have always been interested in building dollhouses since I watched my only

sister and her husband build one almost 20 years ago, and now I am getting

the chance to build one for my oldest daughter that is going to be 13 in

March of 2009 as a X-Mas present this year. The wife told me after I build

that one i have 4 more to do. 3 more for my younger three girls and one for

her. I think I can handle it. :lol:

I just bought the Orchid last week and going to start working on it this week.

I read in the instructions that hot glue is good to use but seen where other

people are using white and wood glue. Does it matter what kind i use?

Hello and Welcome to the group Jeremy. I can tell you that we use Wood Glue. I have never used hot glue for my houses. Could luck on building all thoses houses. Please send pics after you get stated.

Hi Jeremy. I'm new to the forum and dollhouses too. I'd noticed that the instructions say hot glue but everyone on here seems to prefer wood glue or white glue - I was wondering which was better too.

Good luck making all those houses. At least you've got plenty of time before Christmas to get your first one made.

Welcome to the forum family, Jeremy, and I hope Fay will leave y'all alone!

...I read in the instructions that hot glue is good to use but seen where other

people are using white and wood glue. Does it matter what kind i use?

It really matters that you use something other than hot glue; I rehabbed this Laurel that had originally been built with hot glue: gallery_8_1103_130685.jpg

my next rehab will be a Pierce that was built using hot glue, it's hanging together a bit better, but the original builder gave up and painted over a lot of the glue globs & drips and some of it's hanging together because of the tabs & slots, rather than the glue.

Actually Ben is slowly rewriting all the kit instructions. You do not have to seal all the wood with shellac & denatured alcohol (as a retired RN I would like to see that no one uses denatured alcohol without a haz-mat suit); stain & primer will do a pretty adequate job for you. A lot of your questions have been answered in many, many posts & threads scattered throughout the forum, mostly buried, so if you can't find an answer, ask; I'm sure that we are all delighted to help in any way we can to get another miniaturist hooked - er, interested in this hobby.

Thanks everyone for your help. I am going to start hopefully this week or next week on it.

I am already driving my wife nuts over all the things you can get for these dollhouses :) .

I am already planning on electrifing it and make it have a brick facade.

Hi and :)!! I think enough people have said not to use hot glue. The only place I use it is on the shingles and if I want something to be temporary. Some people use it with tacky glue or wood glue just because it will hold faster. Enjoy! I can't wait to see pictures.

:yes:

make it have a brick facade.
I had so much fun "stoning" the McKinley tower after I'd bricked the rest of the exterior front (and all the back) wslls that when I made my Orchid General Store it wanted to have a "stone" exterior, too. This is a gracious little kit, and makes up in any number of delightful ways!

NO HOT GLUE!!!

That being said - Welcome to the forum.

You are a lucky guy with all those houses to build. Just remember that the finished job will only be as good as the prep-work. Skimp on sanding and pay for it later with bumpy paint.

Are you going to use round wire or tape wire in your houses? I prefer round wire.

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I only use Titebond II wood glue, works great, dries fast, grips well. I used to use regular wood glue but it doesn't grip or dry as fast. I highly recommend the Titebond!!!!

Hi and Welcome Jeremy!!!

It's very nice of you to build for everyone, actually I think I enjoy the building more than anything. I find it very relaxing. I use Aileen's Tacky glue and only use hot glue for shingles. Good Luck! And have Fun!!! :)

• 1 month later...