Another Hi From Michigan

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member and still learning how to navigate. I'm normally a miniature food artisan, but thought it might be nice to build a little place for them.

I'm just finishing up a commission piece--it is my first in dollhouse construction--a Halloween/Apothecary shop complete with my first doll creation...a witch naturally :D and haunted goodies--will post pics as soon as I learn how.

For my next project--this is more addictive than food crafting :lol: --I'll transform the Orchid and was wondering if anyone has used "craft sticks" as hardwood flooring (from Michael's). Any idea about the spacing and/or tips on installation?

Thanks guys!!!! Beautiful galleries everyone B)

I had some of the thick ones and used them in a small house cut the ends off and used as floor boards also used small ones as a mosic floor in my garfield found that you need a glue that has no water as it makes the sticks curl and a big heavy book to hold it down till it dries to keep it flat.

Hello Heddy, and welcome! You can open your own gallery after posting 5 times. :lol:

Somewhere there is a thread or two all about wooden flooring - including the craft sticks. Try doing a search - it's probably in General Mini Talk. Someone else may remember where it is, but a search should turn up a few interesting tidbits.

Welcome fellow Michigander! I plan to use craft sticks from Michaels in my futre RGT Queen Anne. I have been watching 'Kitten' s progress, and I believe she used them in her homes. I also use them to make picture frames.

Welcome fellow Michigander! I plan to use craft sticks from Michaels in my futre RGT Queen Anne. I have been watching 'Kitten' s progress, and I believe she used them in her homes. I also use them to make picture frames.

Hi Audra,

Thanks for the welcome! You're lucky to have a Hobby Lobby nearby in Jackson. I've been driving to Saginaw when I go up to Frankenmuth or Toledo, but I heard they're building one in Flint to be finished by October :lol:

You have been to Rau's??!! Isn't that store AWSEOME!!?? I went there a couple months ago for the fist time. It is a 2 hour drive for me, so I won't be going back anytime soon. I did however get back into contact with the store and ordered a beautiful bed that I could not find anywhere else. (picture below). I will be able to get it Monday (had it shipped to my aunts house - being a tad sneaky on this one) Anyway, the gal that worked there said that they are only one of 3 miniature stores left in MI. I have been to the one in Plymouth, but I don't care for the sales people at all. They seem very overwhelmed and snotty at times. I would typically prefer to support a small business, but I would rather shop online.

Where in Michigan are you?? How long of a drive is it to Hobby Lobby? You can order from www.craftsetc.com which is the Hobby Lobby online. I have not looked to see if they have the craft sticks though.

You have been to Rau's??!! Isn't that store AWSEOME!!?? I went there a couple months ago for the fist time. It is a 2 hour drive for me, so I won't be going back anytime soon. I did however get back into contact with the store and ordered a beautiful bed that I could not find anywhere else. (picture below). I will be able to get it Monday (had it shipped to my aunts house - being a tad sneaky on this one) Anyway, the gal that worked there said that they are only one of 3 miniature stores left in MI. I have been to the one in Plymouth, but I don't care for the sales people at all. They seem very overwhelmed and snotty at times. I would typically prefer to support a small business, but I would rather shop online.

Where in Michigan are you?? How long of a drive is it to Hobby Lobby? You can order from www.craftsetc.com which is the Hobby Lobby online. I have not looked to see if they have the craft sticks though.

Hi Audra,

I'm from Livonia. Rau's is awesome--it took over much of the inventory from Pinocchio's in Frankenmuth which used to be the largest dollhouse store in the USA. The owners are Karen and Steve and the main lady that does the ordering is the delightful Carolyn :D I totally agree with you on the Plymouth store. I don't know how they stay in business. They've got a lot of stock, but it seems like more is coming in than is going out, it's all rather cluttered, and you knailed it--downright snotty :D

It takes me 1 hr and 15 minutes to get to Frankenmuth and about 15 extra to get to the Hobby Lobby in Saginaw. I'm a featured artisan there (foods) and teach classes on making food in polymer clay so I try and get up there about once a month :wave: I'm with you though, I find many of the things online. Which are your favorite online stores?

Do you craft for business or purely as a hobby?

Thanks Audra

LOL! At first I thought it was me about that Plymouth store, but then the more I had to deal with them, the more I dreaded it. My son and I were trying to decide what my first house would be and I was looking at the interior of one, I mentioned that 'this room could be the living room' and she actually told me no, that it was to be the formal dining room! Among other things that were tacky - the next time I went there (only to get this $1.00 trim that I can not find anywhere) I made certain to mention when she asked that I used that room as a garage (HA!) and just needed to order the garage door. She said they had one in stock, proceded to show me, but would not sell it to me because it was not marked!! I WAS TICKED!! That is like dangling candy in front of a baby!

I only mini for pleasure. I get overwhelmed with my own stuff, I could not imagine making for others. I work almost full time with 4 kids, but only 3 at home. I order from www.miniatures.com & www.manorhouseminis.net and sometimes www.dejouxminiatures.com

I don't plan on going to Frankenmuth anytime soon (but need to get back in contact with Karen to order the Harry Potter books for me), but when I do go, I have to plan ahead. I'll be certain to let you know and maybe we can meet there. I was truely amazed seeing the Queen Anne in person!! Tht is my future home that I am picking up things for. They are phasing RGT out and bringing in The House That Jack Built. Not familiar with the homes at all.

Later Lady!

Hi Audra,

I'm from Livonia. Rau's is awesome--it took over much of the inventory from Pinocchio's in Frankenmuth which used to be the largest dollhouse store in the USA. The owners are Karen and Steve and the main lady that does the ordering is the delightful Carolyn :D I totally agree with you on the Plymouth store. I don't know how they stay in business. They've got a lot of stock, but it seems like more is coming in than is going out, it's all rather cluttered, and you knailed it--downright snotty :D

It takes me 1 hr and 15 minutes to get to Frankenmuth and about 15 extra to get to the Hobby Lobby in Saginaw. I'm a featured artisan there (foods) and teach classes on making food in polymer clay so I try and get up there about once a month :wave: I'm with you though, I find many of the things online. Which are your favorite online stores?

Do you craft for business or purely as a hobby?

Thanks Audra

LOL! At first I thought it was me about that Plymouth store, but then the more I had to deal with them, the more I dreaded it. My son and I were trying to decide what my first house would be and I was looking at the interior of one, I mentioned that 'this room could be the living room' and she actually told me no, that it was to be the formal dining room! Among other things that were tacky - the next time I went there (only to get this $1.00 trim that I can not find anywhere) I made certain to mention when she asked that I used that room as a garage (HA!) and just needed to order the garage door. She said they had one in stock, proceded to show me, but would not sell it to me because it was not marked!! I WAS TICKED!! That is like dangling candy in front of a baby!

I only mini for pleasure. I get overwhelmed with my own stuff, I could not imagine making for others. I work almost full time with 4 kids, but only 3 at home. I order from www.miniatures.com & www.manorhouseminis.net and sometimes www.dejouxminiatures.com

I don't plan on going to Frankenmuth anytime soon (but need to get back in contact with Karen to order the Harry Potter books for me), but when I do go, I have to plan ahead. I'll be certain to let you know and maybe we can meet there. I was truely amazed seeing the Queen Anne in person!! Tht is my future home that I am picking up things for. They are phasing RGT out and bringing in The House That Jack Built. Not familiar with the homes at all.

Good for you Audra for letting them have it! :D

I shop Manorhouse as well. Four kids and still time to play--my hats off to you--I don't think I would have time to brush my teeth! I've got two little ones at home (6 & 8 boys) so I do most of my crafting after they've gone to bed....ahhh sweet silence :D

I didn't know they were phasing out RGT--maybe they'll go on CLEARANCE :wave: I'm not familiar with House That Jack Built brand either--I'll have to look them up.

Yes, absolutely the next time your planning a trip drop me a line. Be sure to check out the Family Style Dinner at the Bavarian too---yumm!

Good Crafting!

Later Lady!

Heddy, I found a thread about flooring for you. (Craft sticks and other options.)

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...ft+sticks+floor

Hope this works for you! :wave:

Perfect Rosalind!

Thank you, thank you! Using a template seems like a great way to go I've heard that people template their wallpaper too for a seemless application. Is this something you would recommend?

Thanks,

Heddy

I'm no expert, Heddy! As far as building dollhouses goes, I'm still a newbie. :wave:

A lot of people do use templates for a smooth result. Also, it's often a good choice when planning to electrify your dollhouse. Having read and researched about lighting dollhouses, I think that if you plan to run wiring behind the wallpaper, using a template is a very good idea - it hides the wire, and is easy to remove (if fixed in place with double-sided tape) should some electrical repair be required in the future. (I've not wired a house yet - it's my next challenge).

I just got back from a two month road trip and hadn't realized you were a new forum family member when I answered your flooring query here, so allow me to welcome you warmly, if belatedly. We're glad you're here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...