Philadephia Miniaturia

Heidi

I am thinking we can travel up Sat am do the afternoon show and stay over to shop more on Sun am before we head back. The 4 hr window seem sooooo short for shopping that huge list of vendors. The hotel rooms are running $125.00 for the show price. Le tme know what you think. I est the drive time to be about 3 1/2 to 4 hrs w/o traffic. Dawn

Dawn, I would love to. But after finding out about how much oil is going to potentially cost this winter, it would be stupid and selfish of me to make any plans to spend any money on anything.

Maybe next year.

• 2 months later...

I have been to the last four and took classes my first year. I will be going again this year with a local club that sets up a bus for their members. They have a wonderful range of vendors and products from expensive down to the very affordable. I love looking at what is there for ideas. I go with a list of things I need for my projects and those are my first priority. After that I will cruise looking for special items depending on how much money I have left.

Although some of the classes are expensive there are a few that are doable and the skills you can pick up make them worthwhile.

I will be going and members of the club I belong to (First State Mini Club). The show in Cherry Hill is pretty big! Bring your walking shoes because there is a lot to see. I am making a Christmas shop which I will be entering as an exhibit so make sure you stop in the exhibit room and check out "Ira's Christmas Shoppe." The workshops are great and if you have the extra "do-re-mi" to attend one, you owe it to yourself. I so wanted to go to one but I've been unemployed for the last five months ;) ...maybe next year.

Lynne

I've been there too, it is A LOT to take in.

Besides good shoes, think about things you need when garage sale-ing: an empty, lightweight bag and plenty of cash (much easier than wondering who takes what, plus it makes it easier to know when you're done!). Take all the business cards you can, because you WILL forget who had what two seconds after you leave. I brought a camera and politely asked a few vendors if I could photograph things that wowed me.

Like Beverly said, bring a list. For one thing, you forget what you wanted when confronted with so much amazing work. It also helps with the "I want it all" syndrome, but not as much as a cash limit does. :welcome:

The things I most enjoyed last year were Elle Piccolo's figures, and Ferd Sobol's unbelievable furniture. Don't miss them. I can't do (or afford!) work like theirs, but oh, I can admire the artistry!

Oh! Can't wait can't wait! I went two years ago and I had so much fun. Couldn't go last year, my brother had some big marching band thing we all had to go to. But this year, Dearest Mother is bringing me! So excited! and maybe I will finally meet some of the people from this forum. *jumping up and down*

I've been wanting to go every year for the last 3...always real life things get in the way...You see my birthday always falls around that weekend and this year I'm gonna be away...on a cruise (don't feel sorry for me :) ) maybe next year guys huh?

Hi everyone, I am new to this group, but had to respond to this note. I was fortunate enough to attend one of the Philly Miniatura shows.....think it was the last one held in Philly and Pat Bauder was still running the show. I haven't been able to get back since that time, but I can tell you that the show is fabulous; can't imagine that would change just because the show is now in N. Jersey. There are so many top artisans at Miniatura....so many lovely minis to see and to BUY if one has saved up the dollars!!! I don't know if I will get there this year, but I certainly would love to because as I said, that is one fabulous show. Make plans to go, if you can, and take a workshop,too as they are a bit pricey, but worth it!!!

Nancye in Miami, FL

• 3 weeks later...

I just have to tell you all this...my mini mentor convinced me to enter my Christmas Shoppe as an exhibit for the Philly show next week! To say the least, I am waaaaay nervous about this but I sent in the entry form so I am committed. I'm not looking to win a prize or anything but I just want to share this very special project with people and maybe get a photo or two in a mini mag! :)

Lynne

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone! I haven't been on the forum for a while, as I have been just too busy to do minis. I know, blasphemy! Anyway, I will be going to the Philly show (actually, it's in Cherry Hill, NJ.) I tried to get someone to go with me, but nobody I know wanted to or was free to come along. :nana:

Does anyone from here want to meet at the show tomorrow morning and walk around together? I will be there tomorrow at 10, but I can't stay past 12:30 because I have something else in the afternoon, and am usually visually overstimulated at these things after two hours anyway. I haven't been to the show in this hotel, so I don't know the layout, but perhaps anyone who wants to, could meet me by the door prizes, wherever that is, at a convenient time?

I'm particularly looking for 1/2" scale items this time around.

Does anyone want to meet me there?

Lynne, I saw your piece today! Whoo-hoo to you! Congrats!

(That's a lot of exclamation points.)

Folks, they almost had to throw me out. I got there later than I wanted to, about noon, and I stayed until 5pm.

Can you say "eye candy"?

Much drooling was done by Kelly, as usual. I *love* Miniaturia! I got a few things for me, a few things for the little person, and a major case of wish-I-could-win-the-lottery-itis. Wow.

My can't-miss-list, if you're going tomorrow: Frogmorton Studios (Rik Pierce's houses are even more beautiful in person); Elle Piccolo's dolls (and she's always very nice to talk to, also); Paula Gilhooley's amazing-amazing flowers; and right as you go in (or come out) Owen's Deluxe Dollhouses. Get one of the folks there to show you how the stone house opens up. It is so realistic on the inside, and so clever on the outside, I wanted to move right in. OMG.

Best cheap thrills: tiny "fairy lace" and other ityy-bitty supplies at Miniature Luxuries and a gorgeous gingerbread house from The Kennedys, both back in the Riverside Pavillion. My favorite person, every time I've gone: Tony Knott. Really nice to talk to and buy from.

Thing I missed the most from last year: Ferd Sobol. Seeing his work in person is awe-inspiring.

They're open tomorrow from 11 to 4, and nobody's paying me to recommend it highly if you're in the area, LOL!

Hi! Oh darn Kelly I wish I had met you and thank you for the compliments on my shoppe! I worked on it until the last possible minute on Friday. As you can tell, I'm a bit of a procrastinator! We probably passed each other at some point! I got there about 10:00 a.m.! I thought the show was awesome but definitely missed Ferd this year. I wonder why he didn't make it. I made a good dent in my wallet when I visited Miniature Luxuries. Their stuff is really neat. You would have thought I would buy something besides Christmas stuff since the shoppe is officially finished but noooooooooo....couldn't resist buying a few pieces of fabric to make tablecloths. Also, Cottage Miniatures wasn't there this year. You can buy a ton of neat stuff for very little money.

I talked with Owen's assistant, Verne. He's a neat guy to chat with. So, which of Owen's houses are you gonna buy? The $5,900 one or the $9,000 one? He does fabulous work! Guys, this man builds houses from the ground up...even cuts his own stone! You provide a photo of a house and he will make a replica of it. He's from Canada.

Cuppa-Tea I wish I had checked the forum on Friday because I certainly would have met you but I was busy putting the final touches on my shoppe. Did you make it there?

Okay, I took a bunch of photos of most of the exhibits. Check out my gallery to get a look at the very nice work that everyone did. Oh, and you'll get a peek at my shoppe and me!

Lynne