I have my first house!!!!

keinanna

I went to the local hobby store today and they had got their shipment of houses in sindce they had nothing earlier this week. I got an Orchid house. It was between that and the Coventry Cottage they were only $10 difference in price but i liked the Orchid better. My DH likes the Westville so i think i may need to do that one eventually. I still have a possibility of getting an Aurthur as well since i am currently winning that one on Ebay but there is still another 25 hours left so i will have to see how that goes. I cant wait to start working on them. I am sure i will have pictures in the gallery later today.

I am not too sure what exactly i am going to do with it.. I guess it depends on if i win the Aurthur or not cause that one was going to be my daughter's house but if not i will use this one instead. If this ends up being her house it will probably be very basic and quite pink.

I got a pinky/purple colour i was thinking of using for the trim and was thinking white for the main exterior. But i am not sure if i like those colours so much i will have to do a test of the colors on a scrap piece of wood. I wanted a light purple for the trim but there was none at the store so on impulse i got the pinky purple instead so i will have to see i may be going out to get new paint for the trim in the near future.

I have not decided if i will stain/paint the shingles or leave them plain yet or not. I am playing with different ideas for the interior but have not decided on anything yet i thought i knew what i wanted to do with it but now that i have it i just dont know. I am hoping that once i have more if it put together some inspirations will come to me.

So far i have the "base" of it done the little part at the back and the front is drying right now so it does not look like much at the moment once it dries i will take some pictures.

I also have a bunch of furniture but i dont know if it is what i am using for this house if it turns out to be mine so the decor may change if i get new furniture as well.

One thing i found quite interesting is that the instructions say to use hot glue to put it together but i have read on here thats bad so i have been using white glue but its hard at times with the long pieces to get them lined up any suggestions?

I almost forgot i had thought about trying to have 3 small rooms in the attic area by adding a second duplicate wall on the other side of the indent in the middle. Has anyone seen this done or think it would work?

Hi Keinanna-

Sounds like you are off to a good start. I used the color scheme of pink, purple, and white for the Laurel and Primrose I built for a little girl last Christmas. Here is a picture:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/gallery_1697_1449_242754.jpg

I used pink as the main color as you can see. I'm not usually a fan of pink houses but this was for a little girl. At least it gives you an idea of what the colors look like together.

As to adding a wall, go for it! I added walls for a stairwell in my childhood house and it was easy. Cut an extra one and put in in there without glue and see if you like it first.

:missing: Congratulations to your first house!!!! Am keeping my fingers crossed so that you win the Arthur as well, one for you and one for your daughter, sounds like a fair deal :)

Hugs

yes i am currently working on it my work table is right beside my computer :missing:

You may want to do the sanding someplace else. Computers don't like sawdust, and you'll create a fair amount of it.

One thing i found quite interesting is that the instructions say to use hot glue to put it together but i have read on here thats bad so i have been using white glue but its hard at times with the long pieces to get them lined up any suggestions?

You can use a dab or two of hot glue on the edges to hold pieces in place (and then peel it off later), but many of us rely on masking tape or the blue painter's tape to keep the pieces where they belong while drying.

I love the colors on that house it turned out really nice. maybe my pink trim wont be too terrible after all.

Thanks for the tip on the not sanding near the computer i did not even think about that its on the floor under the desk but i would think even in the same room it would probably pick up the dust i will have to sand elsewhere but i think i will still use this area for building since its really the only place i have for now.

I did not get pictures up last night cause we ended up taking the kids out to swim and then i was working on the house and my dh decided at 12:30 it was bedtime without giving me much warning so i forgot to post the pictures. I will be putting them up now though.

So i think i have decided on colors for the exterior anyways. I found a really pretty purple today and i am thinking i am going to use it for the main part of the house and do the trim probably in white and am thinking of doing the shingles grey. I am going to look through my massive collection of scrapbook paper later and try to decide if there is anything i like for wallpaper. I have a really pretty dark purple fabric that is wanting to be used to cover the seats of my dining room chairs. I think i would like to do the bedroom in purples as well but will have to go find some more fabric for that since i dont have a lot of purples.

If i ever do a halloween themed house i am all set since i have a ton of halloween print fabrics. Including some great spiderweb novelty prints that would make great curtains. I am hoping that i dont run into the problem i am having right now with every house i get. I am finding that i had a lot of great ideas but once i got the house they dont seem right for it but i can think of all kinds of ideas for other houses i want later.

I did win my Arthur house so that one will be my daughter's house. So i now have 2 houses which is a great excuse to buy more furniture :)

I like that i am doing the first house for myself it gives me practice this way i can have a bit better idea what i am doing with my daughter's house so i can hopefully make it a bit sturdier to hold up through play.

Congrats on the Arthur win! You'll find that your houses tend to "talk" to you, so that's why you'll have a plan and the house wants something else. That's how we end up with such stashes.