Jump to content

What are you up to today? This week?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • havanaholly

    2949

  • KathieB

    1412

  • heidiiiii

    1094

  • Anna

    614

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started laying pavers in our front yard yesterday. My DW doesn't like walking in the grass from the car to the front steps, so we're getting about a dozen pavers that look like cobblestone, each pa

Today I am celebrating a bit as I have been offered a new job (still principal but in a different town/municipality) which I have accepted. Same driving distance just the opposite direction, a few per

SHE's HERE!!!      Little Junia Rosalie was born on her daddy's birthday- Friday, June 9 weighing in at 7lbs 15oz and 21.5 inches long!  She's beautiful and we are SO excited for our first gran

Posted Images

Jeremy it is good you have help. I know it is very difficult to, especially when you have so many lives depending on you, but try to take the worries back to one day at a time. Deal with what you can when you can, and don't let your mind take you to the dreaded "what ifs" and "hows". And always remember that thoughts become things, so think only on the good ones. It will all work itself out, and almost always to our benefit when we look back. It seems upsetting, but may really just be a giant opportunity in disguise. Big hugs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The International Festival was great fun and we got to meet a lot of really nice & interesting people who were mostly from some place else.  We ate our lunch from the Nepalese booth, chicken curry and chicken tikka masala.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally decided, with trepidation, to give my oldest daughter my mother's antique dinner table and chairs.  I spent the last 2 days redoing the detachable seats and today cleaning the chairs.  They are cane, well supposed to be, bottom chairs. The cane on 4 of 6 is dried and broken. The seats pieces just sit on top.  I had 2 recaned years ago, then the guy quit doing that.   Now she will have to find a craftsman to do it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone!

Kathie,

The guy who's getting it revoked was a 3rd opinion.  Every neurology doc I have ever seen, seems to either not know how to treat people who are fully functional, or are nervous nellies who are willing to ruin other's lives, fearing that IF the person has an accident someday, they may be held responsible.  It's easier to put a person on the street rather than explain to a court and jury why they didn't have the ability to see the future and tell a person might have a medical emergency some day in the distant future.  They also don't want to be the odd one out in the office, so they're supporting their colleagues, even if they're wrong.

 If we live long enough, we're all at risk of having a stroke, heart attack, etc., while behind the controls of a motor vehicle.  I would also point out that all 3 doctors failed to explain how I was actually at risk in the immediate future, and were from European countries with excellent mass transit systems, which we obviously do not have here in the U.S.  Their suggestions of "ride the bus or train" would be hilarious if my livelihood wasn't in jeopardy. 

My boss only works on small business, real estate and family law cases, so this isn't in his wheelhouse, but he does know many attorneys here in town and he does have a good grasp of the law, so we will figure something out on Monday.

Jeannine,

The laws are supposed to prevent people from being a hazard to themselves or others, but the way they're written here in Florida, they're easy to abuse.  When a doctor found my brain cyst in 1990, I didn't have any symptoms, passed two EEGs without any findings, and he still told me I would never be allowed to drive (about 2 weeks before I should have gotten my learner's license) and for the next 10 years, I rode a bicycle.  Despite obeying all of the laws, including all traffic laws, I was punished the same way habitual drunk drivers are, and was hit by cars in traffic nine times in nine years.  I was even involuntarily committed for a month for riding my bike.  I believe "self-destructive behavior" was the reason they put on the paperwork.  I was basically jailed, without ever committing a crime (I was actually trying to comply with their unreasonable restriction on driving) or getting a jury, lawyer, anything.  The only reason I had a license was thanks to an attorney I used to know.  He pointed out that an MD cannot restrict my driving privileges based on nothing more than a hunch.  He also said that when the DMV staff ask me if I have ever had a seizure, the correct answer is "no".  Getting my license almost too easy.  Now, once again, my constitutional rights are being trampled on without cause.  The worst part is, all 50 DMVs are linked online, so no matter where I move, my "revoked" status will follow me.  As soon as the DMV in another state enters my Social Security Number in their system, a flag from Florida will pop up. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To  point I can understand a Dr being nervous and taking the easy road I can also understand family members doing to for a driver will not do it himself but.. you have had a licens with no problems, surely the one long ago would be in your favour as you have clearly demonstrated you  are safe,

My husband had Alzheimers and I had heard horror stories about family fights over taking them away. I discussed it with my Dr for advice on when and he simply told me I would know. My husband was an excellent driver and he showed no signs of changing but one day he had forgotten the way to somewhere w e went often, I told him which way to go and he did but after we got home he announced all by himself he was giving up driving and he never drove again so I didn't have to do it. You probably would know in your heart too if there was a problem .

It was the part about you being on the street with your wife and losing your kids I was amazed at, why would that happen if you lost your license. It doesn't seem right to me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeremy, I know they can't take your kids away from you if you're homeless. They certainly can't in Washington, anyway. Also, if you're about to be evicted from your house, the first thing you want to ask for are the original loan papers. I don't think they can evict you without those. There were so many people facing eviction in 2009 and 2010, but a lot of them managed to stay in their homes while the banks were looking for the original loan papers. The loans had been sold so often, that some people never did get evicted because their loan papers were never found.

And for anyone who drives a car, one of the things that I think is mandatory in most states is that if you have an accident and bump your head, and you tell your doctor you bumped your head, the doctor can and will take away your DL. Of course, if you have bumped your head, if's a double edged sword because you don't want to end up with a brain bleed just because you don't want to lose your license. But if you know you haven't bumped your head, your answer to the paramedics and the doctor is a firm "NO" when they ask you instead of an "I'm not sure".

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am hating Photobucket right now. Why? I got a new computer!!!! Finally. My old one is 12 years old and running XP and none of the browsers can be updated on it (I've tried Chrome, Windows whatever, Pale Moon, and Firefox acts like it's drugged). This means I can access fewer and fewer websites. It's so irritating.

Anyway, I suppose I could have just gotten some network cables to transfer everything on my desktop over to the new computer, but most of the stuff there was pictures I needed to upload to Photobucket. So that's all I've been doing for the last 3 days, 8 hours a day until I can't see the monitor anymore. I now have over 6300 photos uploaded to PB and I bet I know every one of them intimately.

It also doesn't help when I'm loading stuff on a website that's slow anyway and I'm on a super slow computer. Then it also doesn't help that I'm combining some albums, deleting others, moving things around, loading the wrong pictures in the wrong albums, loading duplicate pictures in the right (and wrong) albums, or forgetting to load that last picture altogether.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm off on a trip to Best Buy to pick up a couple of thumb drives so I can upload the rest of the junk on my desktop on those. I have a couple hundred songs and some other stuff I don't want to put on PB, so it's all going on the thumbs. Then I can finally set up my new computer.

It should be so much faster than what I have now. It's got 16 GB of RAM, 1 TB of Memory, and has a Intel i5 core with 3.2 processing speed, whatever all that means. And if it sounds expensive, it really wasn't - I got a refurbished one. And I am so praying I didn't buy a pig in a poke. Of course, now that I have everything on Photobucket, my old computer will probably go like the wind.

Meantime, that damn burn on my arm is driving me crazy. It's scabbed over and itching like anything. It looks horrible but it's healing, so I guess I shouldn't complain. But why does it have to itch so bad? Grrr.....

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelly, if you can find it, this over the counter cream works wonders. Resinol is very soothing. I got mine at my local CVS, but had to ask the pharmacist to order it for me. Another good choice for healing, cooling, and itching is Silver sulfadiazine cream, but you'd need a dermatologist to prescribe it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you! I need to get out to the store tomorrow, so I may look for that. I think a lot of the itching is in my head, though. For the last couple of hours I've been getting something to eat, doing dishes, and watching 2 episodes of ER, and the itching hasn't bothered me once. So I think it's just a matter of taking my mind off it. Also, when I itch around the burn, it itches more, so once I stop itching, so does the burn. Interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did something grosser. When I took a shower this morning, the scabs got soft and I yanked them off. That took care of the itching problem. I hope that wasn't TMI.

Boy, is this going to leave a nasty scar, though.

I finally got to Best Buy this afternoon and got some thumb drives for my computer so I can save the last of the desktop stuff. The thumbs were for 3.0 USB drives and I thought sure, why not, my new computer takes 3.0 thumb drives. So I got them all the way home and then realized that my old computer, into which I need to stick these thumb drives, does not take 3.0.

So I had a hissy fit for a while until I read the package completely and realized these drives would fit both computers. Unless of course, my old computer only fits 1.0 thumb drives. I'm afraid to look.

I mean, let me put it this way: I have a thumb drive already. I got it about a year after I got my old computer, paid almost 20 bucks for it and it might have one MB on it. Ten songs fills it up. Today I got two drives with 16 GB each on them and they only cost me $7 apiece. Technology, we bow to you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year we knuckled down and decided we needed to buy a new front door. The frame was rotting out just like it did on the older door. Everywhere we went we kept seeing the same old doors with frames that would eventually rot again. We wanted something simple, yet a little different from the run of the mill. As winter neared, we put off door shopping till spring. When we started shopping again we finally found a place that said they could order the exact door we wanted and they sent their installer over to be sure we ordered the right size. He told my husband that he couldn't install the door because there was a chance we might have a rotting board under the sill and it wasn't something he could take care of. In other words, he only knew how to pop old doors out and pop new doors in. We began the hunt for a new door someplace else, we even had a rep from an expensive custom type door and window company come to the house. He said what we wanted should be no problem - untill he spoke to the guy at the plant who said, "No, we can't do that". Eventually we did get to order the door we wanted and it arrived today. When DH opened the box the delivery guys left in the garage he discovered that the factory painted it wrong! The company is going to send guys to pick it up and they're going to redo the door. It'll be installed in mid December as long as the contractor can do it. I hope the snow holds off this year.

Last time we ordered a new front door, about 10 years ago, first it arrived with broken glass, then when they brought it back with new glass the sidelights were installed backwards. DH just walked in and said "Do you want to cancel the door and forget the whole thing till spring?" I answered with a heck no dadgummit. I want the door over and done with. I never want to go look at another front door or lock set ever again. DH went out by himself last week and bought a new front door lock set because we never heard back from the guy who was supposed to order the set we liked best. I just didn't want to look at anything else that had to do with the dangblame front door. Oh crappola. I just remembered the doorbell. We have a sick doorbell and DH said we could have that taken care of while the door was being replaced. I don't recall us buying a doorbell. I'll have to go ask him about the doorbell.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Grazhe please don't be offended if I ask this question: Have you had someone look at what may be causing the framing to rot out so often? I only ask because my hubs (and dad growing up and brother) is a contractor. It has often come up that folks fix the effect, but don't know about or to fix the cause. I couldn't let the thread go without asking the question in the way off chance that it may be of help you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Its_a_sm_world_after_all said:

Grazhe please don't be offended if I ask this question: Have you had someone look at what may be causing the framing to rot out so often? I only ask because my hubs (and dad growing up and brother) is a contractor. It has often come up that folks fix the effect, but don't know about or to fix the cause. I couldn't let the thread go without asking the question in the way off chance that it may be of help you.

It's the weather that causes the door frames to rot. It's a common thing up here. Our next door neighbors didn't realize there was anything wrong with their door till they noticed that their living room floor in front of their door had begun to rot. Our houses face west and for parts of the year that's where all the rain and wind comes from, not to mention that we're within a mile of the ocean. Many Mainers rarely use their formal front doors, we have sort of secondary front doors we all use. Our secondary door is under a porch, so it never gets that snow wind and rain the front door gets. The only people who ever come to our official front door are kids selling school fundraising items or someone from out of state who got hired to ring doorbells for something. It used to be magazine subscriptions, remember them?

Anyhow, we were determined to buy a door with a non rotting door frame, which was one of the reasons it took so long to get one. You'd think, in a place where that's a common complaint, that more companies would make doors like that. I mentioned to my husband, more than once, that maybe we should take the front door out and put in a nice window instead.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017‎ ‎2‎:‎58‎:‎40‎, Jeannine said:

My husband had Alzheimers and I had heard horror stories about family fights over taking them away. I discussed it with my Dr for advice on when and he simply told me I would know. My husband was an excellent driver and he showed no signs of changing but one day he had forgotten the way to somewhere w e went often, I told him which way to go and he did but after we got home he announced all by himself he was giving up driving and he never drove again so I didn't have to do it. You probably would know in your heart too if there was a problem .

It was the part about you being on the street with your wife and losing your kids I was amazed at, why would that happen if you lost your license. It doesn't seem right to me.

Jeannine, I'm so sorry about your husband.  I couldn't imagine.

If I lose my license, I won't have a viable way to get to work and back (about 30 miles), so I would lose my jobs too.  I pay the mortgage, utilities, car payment, insurance and other bills.  My DW works hard, but she doesn't earn nearly enough to cover the few bills she has and mine.  Our schedules cross too, so she wouldn't be available or interested in being my personal taxi.  The city I work in (the next town over) does have a bus system (and only a bus system), but locally "RTS" stands for "Random Transit System" since the routes and schedules are always changing, never convenient and start about an hour after my shift starts, so it's completely useless.  Expensive too.  When I did live in Gainesville, I took the bus system once, one way (it was faster to walk the 8 miles home) and the amount I would have spent round trip, five days a week, was more than a car payment after a month.  In Florida, if your kids don't have a home, the state will take them from you.  All too often, the places they put them are far worse.  There's several infamous cases of kids taken from their loving parents, put in a foster home, then "lost" and never found.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh  my goodness that is terrible I know it is easy to say but I don't think I would want to live in Florida in that case.There has to be a better way,  surely the authorities must see that/. You must be eligible for unemployment insurance if you get fired surely which would buy you some time to make some changes . Isn't there a scheme for retraining folks who for whatever reason cannot do their present job. Rent your house, pay the mortgage with the rent and rent a place nearer to work, getting a closer job, ask your employer for hours to suit your wife's,get a job for your wife closer to your work and ride with her, maybe carpool with someone at work or a neighbor, maybe an ad in a local a paper for a ride...just racking my brains and  rambling here and probably none would suit. I am so sorry, It totally  mystifies me that a country who  is seen on the TV all the time as the best country in the world wouldn't have someway of helping in a crisis situation.. It is at times like this that I wish I had a magic wand and all I can say is I care and wish you the best of luck with your case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, pdlnpeabody said:

Jeannine, I'm so sorry about your husband.  I couldn't imagine.

If I lose my license, I won't have a viable way to get to work and back (about 30 miles), so I would lose my jobs too.  I pay the mortgage, utilities, car payment, insurance and other bills.  My DW works hard, but she doesn't earn nearly enough to cover the few bills she has and mine.  Our schedules cross too, so she wouldn't be available or interested in being my personal taxi.  The city I work in (the next town over) does have a bus system (and only a bus system), but locally "RTS" stands for "Random Transit System" since the routes and schedules are always changing, never convenient and start about an hour after my shift starts, so it's completely useless.  Expensive too.  When I did live in Gainesville, I took the bus system once, one way (it was faster to walk the 8 miles home) and the amount I would have spent round trip, five days a week, was more than a car payment after a month.  In Florida, if your kids don't have a home, the state will take them from you.  All too often, the places they put them are far worse.  There's several infamous cases of kids taken from their loving parents, put in a foster home, then "lost" and never found.

You’ve persevered before with all the tribulations that life has thrown at you, you’ll get through this too. 

Quite possibly there are other options like ride share programs, moving closer  to your job, working from home (I know two paralegals that do that). Things will work out.

As long as children are not neglected and are thriving, going to school and are fed, the state of Florida does not take children away based on homelessness.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeannine,, trust me Florida is not that cruel. There are plenty of programs available when children are concerned. Homeless adults are another issue but families count in this state. 

Edit: some of our rural counties do have issues since there aren’t many jobs, public assisted housing or public transportation but there are more programs available in urban areas. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, grazhina said:

It's the weather that causes the door frames to rot. It's a common thing up here. Our next door neighbors didn't realize there was anything wrong with their door till they noticed that their living room floor in front of their door had begun to rot. Our houses face west and for parts of the year that's where all the rain and wind comes from, not to mention that we're within a mile of the ocean. Many Mainers rarely use their formal front doors, we have sort of secondary front doors we all use. Our secondary door is under a porch, so it never gets that snow wind and rain the front door gets. The only people who ever come to our official front door are kids selling school fundraising items or someone from out of state who got hired to ring doorbells for something. It used to be magazine subscriptions, remember them?

Anyhow, we were determined to buy a door with a non rotting door frame, which was one of the reasons it took so long to get one. You'd think, in a place where that's a common complaint, that more companies would make doors like that. I mentioned to my husband, more than once, that maybe we should take the front door out and put in a nice window instead.

I'm glad it's just a normal thing and that you don't have any roof or foundation issues! We see a lot of weather related issues here in the rainy Northwest, too. I hope you get it all resolved quickly! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Grazhina, my front door is not wood, I think it is fiberglass, it looks like wood , it is heavy like wood , looks like dark oak actually, very nice  but it was VERY expensive. I almost fainted when I found out what it cost but it will never rot I guess, so maybe for your situation it would be the answer

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Grazhina, my front door is not wood, I think it is fiberglass, it looks like wood , it is heavy like wood , looks like dark oak actually, very nice  but it was VERY expensive. I almost fainted when I found out what it cost but it will never rot I guess, so maybe for your situation it would be the answer

Jeannine, our doors are fiberglass too, but it's not the door that rots, it's the wooden frame that surrounds the door. They manufacture long lasting fiberglass doors and then stick them in old fashioned wooden doorframes. There's a kind of composite material that can be finger jointed into the bottom foot or so of a wooden frame and there's also another kind of new thing in door frames, and frankly, I've forgotten which kind we bought. Can't remember if it's the frame cladded in vinyl, or a partial composite or what. We looked at so many and I read so much material and we asked so many questions I have no idea what we finally settled on any longer. I just want it to be done with. I want my 2 new front doors in before the snow falls! As long as our secondary front door is ok, the contractor will be able to install it tomorrow. He had planned on doing the large exposed  formal front door first as it was supposed to be sunny with temps in the low 50's/ Ah well, such is the life in the construction game. My dad was a carpenter, loved working in the outdoors, except in winter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...