What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

15 minutes ago, grazhina said:

For days I've been wanting a couple of those fantastic fresh made doughnuts at an area doughnut shop and restaurant. I couldn't go yesterday so I planned on going today. Good thing I checked their hours on the website, cause they've gone back to offseason hours. Closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. I'll have to wait till Thursday. Cookies wouldn't do, a box of drugstore chocolate wouldn't do, I crave the doughnuts, the cream filled ones, the custard filled ones, the honey dipped ones! I didn't know what else to do to help stave off my craving, so I made a dozen pumpkin spice muffins with raisins. They helped.

Krispy Kreme opened a shop about 30 minutes away a few weeks ago, it's the first one in Maine. My son said he drove by it the other week and there was a line of people out the door and into the street, all waiting to get in. I think I'll go check it out in a few weeks once the crowd thins out.

You go, girl!

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah - a dozen doughnuts just for me! You know, I'm seriously considering the 45 minute drive up to the European Bakery tomorrow. When cravings come over me they just stay and stay until I get what i need. If I get pastries, maybe I won't want the doughnuts so badly. Actually, the pastries are better for me than the doughnuts.

The cake doughnut is an American invention. Blueberry pie is also an American invention. The pizza, in the form that it is known and loved all over the world today, is also an American invention. I've been listening to a food history podcast lately.

I am still up to my armpits in moving in. It's taking as long or longer than the packing up phase. Maybe because I'm not working on a deadline. Have set a self imposed deadline of Thanksgiving to have all boxes emptied and everything in order. Yesterday I put together a little drop-leaf table that I'm using for my computer.  Now the desk that held the computer needs to move into the craft room to be used as a work table/storage. Too heavy for me to move myself, so must wait for helping hands. Also need help in hanging heavy pictures and pictures too high for me to reach comfortably. I find I'm a bit leery of getting more than two rungs up on the ladder. Balance isn't what it used to be. Am hoping to corral a couple of nephews into doing the heavy lifting this weekend. Meanwhile, the rest of the boxes await.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

Kathie, I was just about to offer to come by and help, and until you mentioned heavy, tall, and balance. Not sure I'd be much help with either. :( 

LOL ... thanks for the kind thoughts, anyway. Other than the heavy lifting, this really is a one-person job, me. As each item is unpacked I have to think about where it will go and put it there. And then move it later when it becomes obvious that wasn't a good choice. Most of the paintings are leaning against walls and furniture as I wait for them to tell me where they want to hang. Dollhouses are not the only objects that talk to me! :D

I'd love for you to come by after I'm settled, though. 

Today was 10+ hours on the road with my oldest daughter and granddaughter.   Tonight in Steubenville,  OH.  Tomorrow off to the Homer Laughlin factory.  My birthday present to my daughter,  she loves Fiesta ware.  The 2 of them will get a factory tour in the morning, my ticker keeps me from going .  Company rules.   After the Fiesta ware factory,  it's off to Roanoke VA, to Black Dog Salvage.  Just because we can.

• Like 2

I'm up in Vero Beach cleaning the cottage for my niece from England who is coming to stay here with her best friend for a week. She is such a bright young woman, teaches high school physics at a very exclusive school outside of London. I warned her that it's pretty boring in early November before the snowbirds arrive but she doesn't care. She just wants peace and quiet on a deserted beach for a week. 

They will be arriving in Miami next Saturday and I've insisted on picking them up and driving them the 2.5 hour drive to Vero (arriving in Orlando would have made more sense) where they can rent a car for the week.  Although it's a little bit of a pain, I'd feel better getting these "left side of the road" drivers away from the Miami traffic and craziness before they get behind the wheel and have to acclimate to right sided driving.

Now I've got to watch some videos on how to fold towels into swans like her mother does at their vacation home in France.

7 hours ago, Sable said:

I'd feel better getting these "left side of the road" drivers away from the Miami traffic and craziness before they get behind the wheel and have to acclimate to right sided driving.

Now I've got to watch some videos on how to fold towels into swans like her mother does at their vacation home in France.

Good thinking!

:hmm: Swans? Maybe pelicans would be more appropriate?   Granted, they look a lot like swans, but if you point out every pelican you see on the drive to Vero Beach, they might be passable. 

Making slow progress on the needlepoint rug I'm doing. Forward! When I'm done, it'll have a classic leaf border and a stylized oval wreaths center. I went with sage green tones for it. This weekend I need to finish some stained glass soldering so I can have a frame cut for one of the pieces.

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Good thinking!

:hmm: Swans? Maybe pelicans would be more appropriate?   Granted, they look a lot like swans, but if you point out every pelican you see on the drive to Vero Beach, they might be passable. 

Thanks Kathie, for reminding me about the pelicans.

Ok, that worked.  Cleared the glitch

My daughter better love her mommy.  LOL.  I just spent over 400.00 on fiesta ware for her birthday.  I could have purchased (but honestly would not), a really big house for that.  

Buying it on line would have been twice that much, and I get a road trip out if it all.  Life is good!!!

I ordered LED lights from Evens, for some reason I found the ordering process to be difficult, I am not usually that dense, but I have had a lingering hayfever/cold/flu or any of the above since I finished haying.  This is the first time I have gotten the creeping crud for years.  So I called him, and he was most helpful, I then placed my order and screwed it up anyway, ordering the wrong LEDs for the double A battery.  Meanwhile I wanted a couple flickering LEDs and couldn’t find then on his site, so after placing the order I did a general google search, and what popped up was flickering lights on his site.  I called him again and asked if he could add the tow flickering lights to the order, and that is when I found out I had ordered the wrong LEDs.  So in the end even though he probably thinks I am a dizzy blond, it all worked out better, I will get what I wanted instead of what I ordered, and the flickering lights can be sent in the order saving postage.

We bought a new car a couple of weeks ago, with lots and lots of computery stuff to do on it to make things work, omg, you even have to use the correct wording for voice commands. Personally, I didn't feel we needed a new car, but he'd been itching to buy one badly. So, after almost 2 weeks of trying, he finally got the car's app to load and work on his phone, and now he's back to making both of our phones work in the car hands free. I've lost track of how many times I've had to answer the phone or call him back in the car. Since he finally got both of our cell phones to work I had to sit in the car and listen to him explain it all to me AGAIN. First you use the mouse to scroll over and change his device to my device as the primary phone. Only the primary phone can both make and receive calls. Then, once you've scrolled to the correct spot, and changed the secondary phone to primary phone, you have to hit the button on the steering wheel to do a voice command and say the command correctly. The car responds by saying that number is not in the data base (DH says he always has to say the command call home again and then the computer will begin to dial home). The whole time I was thinking, wouldn't it be faster to just pick up the phone & dial?

1 hour ago, grazhina said:

wouldn't it be faster to just pick up the phone & dial?

Amen! I'm assuming that you are not driving while attempting all of these gymnastics. Talk about distracted driving! I shudder to think about it.