What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Keller, I've been thinking about you. I hope all went well.

I spent yesterday unpacking from our trip and washing all the clothing. Today we have to move all the hurricane panels away from the garage door since I am getting a new door this week and the workers need that space to work in. Since the new door requires a bigger lip where the concrete slab meets the door, they have to cut the concrete and make a huge dusty mess. So I'm going to try to cover everything in plastic and hope everything doesn't get full of the dust. The better plan would have been to move everything out of the garage but it's monsoon season here.

I'm having a terrible time readjusting to the 6 hour time difference. I fight going to sleep at 6 pm and I'm waking up at 3am. They say it takes about a week to readjust.

Today begins "crazy week" for me: baking and decorating a wedding cake for a friend, while packing for our vacation to Boothbay Harbor, Maine....we take the cake to the wedding in VA on Saturday- stay long enough to watch the ceremony and eat some cake, then head home, re-pack the car and head north the next morning!

Looking forward to lobster and blueberry pie!  :)

• Like 1

Hi Everyone!   I am back in the mini business now that summer is on the way I was getting the itch to build something again.  Sometimes a nice break helps to motivate the old creative mind.

I have been ill for a couple of months but starting to recover (I hope).  I didn't have the energy to do much more than the household routine at best.  The nice weather seems to have perked me up a bit.  :)

I will go back and read to see all I have missed. 

• Like 1

I'm home, sore but ok. I'll update more later.

Thanks for updating us. Continued thoughts for healing.

I have been ill for a couple of months but starting to recover (I hope).  I didn't have the energy to do much more than the household routine at best.  The nice weather seems to have perked me up a bit.   

Good to see you back. Hope you continue getting well. Enjoying your minis may help.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!   I feel like sleeping all day but have made myself go out for short walks with my doggy.  I am waiting for my "stuff" to arrive in the mail to start working on a project.  I even took out my rapidly dwindling box of minis and tried to see what pieces I can use. 
Kelly, hope you are starting to get better too!
Selkie, how are you doing?   I feel like I just dropped out and lost track of everyone and everything.  Hopefully I will get back on track and enjoy the summer!   I had forgotten how HOT it gets out here in New Mexico!!!   I went out to water flowers this afternoon and got so light headed I had to come inside and lay down.   I hate to think how hot it is south of me, I am up in the mountains and that sun was more than I could take!   Ok I am done whining!  Thanks for the very nice welcome back! :)

Roxy, try a nice wide brimmed hat, and avoid peak sun times (10-4). You might also want to try this trick: take a thin towel, get it soaking wet, place in a plastic bag in the freezer for an hour, and before going outside, take it and drape it around your neck. By cooling the blood that flows through the major veins in the neck, you keep your body cooler overall. Hope this helps! I too am very sun and heat sensitive.

• Like 1

Sporting goods stores used to sell a product our friends in Oz call a "cobber".  Basically it's a strip of soft, absorbent cloth sewn into a tube containing an absorbent mineral.  You wet it in cold water and tie it around your neck to keep cool.  I wore out two of them before I finally acclimatized to our summer temps.

• Like 1

Garden shops sell headbands filled with those water-holding beads. I used them a lot while working outside. They cooled my head a bit while keeping sweat from running into my eyes. Now that we're in NOLA, I'm guessing they will see use here, too. That's a good thought, Holly, to tie it around my neck instead of forehead when out and about. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your suggestions!   I always wear at least a ball cap and I do have a nice straw hat.  Its so windy and DRY here.  You have to drink copious amounts of water.  I can feel the water just being sucked out of me after a few minutes outside.  I don't even sweat, it just evaporates!   I am going to water plants after dinner from now on.  Its nice and cooler then.  I took Diesel for a walk last night around 7 and it was still warm and pleasant but not too hot.

Holly,  I know you have really bad humidity there.  It was pretty bad in Southwest Virginia in the summer also.  I do not miss that at all!   I am going to look at the next craft fair in the park.   Sometimes there is a woman selling those things you wrap around your neck to keep you cool!  :)

I made my guys a fig cake using the recipe from my Cajun cookbook.  The recipe calls for a cup of sour milk; the recipe on the facing page calls for a cup of hot water.  I managed to mix the two up and made the fig cake with hot water and the darned thing is so light!

• Like 1

You invented a new and better recipe! 

I had to learn to cook and bake all over again.  I pretty much stick with the few recipes that work most of the time!  I have had some strange results let me tell you!  ha ha

You invented a new and better recipe! 

I had to learn to cook and bake all over again.  I pretty much stick with the few recipes that work most of the time!  I have had some strange results let me tell you!  ha ha

Yeah, well you have to deal with altitude, don't you?  Our 50th Anniversary camping trip down Skyline drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway sure taught me a few things about high altitude cooking!lol

• Like 1

Skyline is about half the altitude that I am at!   I am somewhere over 7,000 ft !  The first time I tried to make a cake it came out like a big squashed pancake.  Water takes a year and a day to boil and things bake in the oven in half the time!  This has good and bad results!  I am getting better at it but just when I think that its safe to try something new, I get a science experiment!  lol   Its fun trying!  :)

My work schedule is slowing down for the summer, since I don't work outdoor events - too much skin cancer, don't want any more!  I did one outdoor last weekend, as a favor to my boss. It was a new venue for us and she wanted my opinion as to whether it was a good one or not. Very hot weather, and very little business. :(    It was the Scottish Highland Games event and there were a lot of vendor tents there also. I'm not crazy about bagpipe music, even though I have some Scottish ancestry in the genes, and on the first day we heard bagpipes NON-STOP for 10 hours!   :insane:

However, I suspected this might be a slow event for a home-improvement company, so I brought along some minis to work on!  I cut out and glued together the 1:144 replica of the Appleby Cottage.  Worked on it right there on my table and tucked it out of sight when a customer showed up. Made my day go a lot better!  :cheezy:

• Like 1

CJ too funny! I admit, I do like celtic music, but those bagpipes better be uillean (Irish) or Scottish smallpipes: they have a much sweeter sound, not as harsh or as loud as the highland bagpipes, which is what most people think of when you say bagpipes.

• Like 1

I am going a little crazy here ordering things!   I haven't done minis is quite a few months and all of a sudden I am getting all kinds of projects to do.   I will pick up my ShadyBrook cabin today at the post office but then I got a 50% off coupon from Michaels so I ordered a little folding castle to make a Hogwarts or some such nonsense.  I have been wanting to do that for a long time.  Of course its an all day trip to even get to a craft store so I pay the shipping and save the gas???  I have a summer of little projects to work on now :)   Happy to be back at it !

Holly, things like eggs and veggies, meat etc don't seem to have much difference when cooking but baking is another issue.  Anything that has to rise must be adjusted.  At 7,000 ft I add  2-3 Tbs of flour, add 2-3 Tbs. water, remove 2-3 Tbs of sugar and cut baking powder and baking soda by at least half.  They often say in the recipes to raise the oven temperature 25 degrees but I have found that just makes stuff get dry around the edges.  Also, don't bake cakes in glass dishes.  Metal pans cook more evenly.  I make  mostly bundt cakes because the shape of the pan with the hole in the middle bakes nice and evenly.   Hints from baking experiments in Roxy's kitchen in the clouds.