What are you up to today? This week?

heidiiiii

Just thought of something mum and dad will get as a "mission" while in the US, buy a set of those measuring thingies for cooking, ie cup, tbls etc etc as when reading some recipies online one do get confused at times when trying to translate that into the "metric/litre" system...

Hugs

I think the therapist is the best idea yet! And if the therapist is any good, you and Loyd will come in for sessions to help them both avoid each other's "buttons".

Lloyd and I have an appointment to see him together, first. Xochi will see him alone. Then they each will see him separately, and we will leave it up to him to decide when it would be most advantageous for us to meet in join session ... the two or them of all three of us.

Liz, X is Lloyd's daughter. I came into her life when she was 10.

Heidi, that's amazing about Perla, and wonderful!

We're just back from the ophthamologist. Lloyd will have cataract surgery next week. Never a dull moment around here ... :flowers:

According to some history site, Tollhouse cookies are choc chip cookies made with nestle choc chips. Have they further evolved, and what makes a cookie 'tollhouse' now?

The package of chocolate chips actually says Toll House on it. I guess it's like a sub-brand or something. Actually, I just looked it up, and all their cookies, chocolate chip or not, are of the Toll House brand.

http://www.verybestbaking.com/

Wherever they came from, I could sure do with a couple of Tollhouse cookies right now. Not allowed to have caffeine in any form for 48 hours before the cardiac tests I'm having tomorrow. SIGH!

I'm taking our van service to and from Yakima for these tests; they'll pick me up at my place in Roslyn and take me to the door of the heart center in Yakima, and then do the reverse to get me back home again. Sadly, I don't really have any control over WHEN these pick-ups happen, and they only make the run on Tuesdays, so they'll pick me up at home at 7 a.m., get me to the heart center around 9 a.m. (my first test is at 10 a.m.), then pick me up at 3 p.m. and I'll probably be back home maybe by 5 p.m. Loooooong day, with some waiting in between tests, and I'll probably see more of the countryside around Roslyn, Cle Elum, Ellensburg and Yakima than I really want to as we pick-up and drop off other folks.

Well, I'm taking some mini crocheting and hoping I'll be able to find a table and good light at the heart center and get some work done in between tests. Beats just sitting there counting the minutes LOL!

So the tollhouse brand do cookie dough or powder that you make up? (Here they don't do cookie dough ready made, except in ben and jerries ice cream :flowers: )

I read the story of how they started at the Tollhouse, but from that it just sounded like it was just choc chip cookies made with tollhouse choc chips that were called tollhouse cookies... but someone mentioned making oat and raison ones so I thought i'd check what it was! :D

All this talk of cookies! Might have to find some today...

Uh, Muriel, honey, you can make the cookies, it's really not all that hard:

The real, the original, the authentic Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup (2 sticks, 1/2 pound) butter, softened

3/4 cup granulated [white] sugar

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 eggs

2 cups (12-ounce package) NESTLE TOLL HOUSE Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels

1 cup chopped nuts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in morsels and nuts. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.

BAKE in preheated 375-degree [Fahrenheit] oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

PAN COOKIE VARIATION: PREPARE dough as above. Spread into greased 15"x10" jelly-roll pan. Bake in preheated 375-degree [Fahrenheit] oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack.

(recipe from http://www.well.com/user/vard/cookierecipe.html)

It has been 22 and 1/2 hours since my last cigarette. I am white knuckling it and basically going cold turkey. I think the fight in me is stronger then the cigs. I want them but I have not bought any..so that must mean something.

I see the neurosurgeon today about my discs. Hopefully whatever he says does not send me rushing to buy a pack of cigarettes!

Heidi, hang in there, my dear! I'll be thinking about you today and sending strengthening thoughts your way.

P.S.: I'll be joining you in the white-knuckle department tomorrow. (gritting teeth in anticipation....)

Are you quitting smoking also? Or are you showing knuckles for something else? Hugs to you and Thank you.

White-knuckling the cardiac tests today, tomorrow quitting smoking. Have smoked since I was a teenager and am ashamed to say I've never REALLY TRIED to quit before, but am facing the fact that I must, or stroke out, have yet another heart attack, etc., etc. I do want to live LOL, so the &*$$$$ things MUST GO.

Good luck with your appt with the surgeon, and don't let the buggers get you down!

Back from the surgeon.

I have to talk to the family, call my primary so he can send paperwork off, and wait for insurance to accept but I guess I am having surgery. He will have to make an inscision in my back, drill a hole in the bone of the spine, and shave off the part of the disc that is giving me trouble. I will be in hospital 1-3 days (matters on how I do), a week on narcotics, and a month of modified activity. Very modified.

He sees that is effecting my walking on the right side. If it was not as bad as it is, he would tell me to just wait for it to heal. But because of the scope of the herniation, surgery will be the only way to correct it. The area of space between the disc and nerves is very narrow.

So I will be laid up for a bit. But he says that there is a 90% chance of full recovery

Well, it sounds like he knows what he is doing and that 90% getting better is WAY better than all the pain and limitations you are forced to live with right now Heidi so am keeping figners and toes crossed for you while sending HUGS, and hmm, now is the time to start planning itsy bitsy light weight projects to be able to keep you busy with, right?!?

HUGS

I have a physical scheduled on November 3rd. They are going to also make it a pre-op appointment. I have to have the surgery in 30 days after that appointment. So some time in November will be the surgery.

My head is swimming about what I am going to do to keep myself busy. ugh!

I have a physical scheduled on November 3rd. They are going to also make it a pre-op appointment. I have to have the surgery in 30 days after that appointment. So some time in November will be the surgery.

My head is swimming about what I am going to do to keep myself busy. ugh!

A good thing to have dates set allready I suppose as it on one hand gives you something to lock onto and start the planning for etc etc. And I ccan really, really understand your head is spinning!!! Anything I/we can do to help out keeping you busy?!? :flowers: Minis or otherwise please just holler, ok?

HUGS

Forgot to ask, how is Perla doing?

thanks Holly!

I made corn bread instead of cookies :flowers: Better for me. With some corn cernals in, some olives, some jalapenos and just a dusting of cheese on the top. Goes well with a cupa soup for lunches.

Placed my mini order, very expensive, but over half isn't for me....still a lot for me though :p Wonder when it will arrive. No email to say anything today, but as far as i remember they didn't send an email last time and it just arrived one day a few days after placing the order.

Good day at work today, though the time did drag a bit. Back at the branch where I trained tomorrow, so that'll be nice.

Hope you find plenty to keep you occupied Heidi! Sounds a little scary, but will hopefully help a great deal and be worth the pain to get through it.

Hi Heidi,

My DH had this operation two years ago and are we glad he did. His life has been immeasurably better and all the pain and numb nerves in his hip, foot and leg went away. Heres hoping yours goes as well!

Sounds like relatively good news overall, Heidi, at least there is a 90% successful solution in sight. See what all these caring and loving folks can do when they put their minds to it? Wonderful!!

No results yet on my cardiac tests today, have to go back next Tuesday and finish them up. But, BUT....if there had been anything major wrong, the tests/scans/etc. wouldn't have gone as smoothly as they did, and I'm taking that as a good sign. Really, what I'm looking for is, is there anything horridly wrong that will mean surgery rather than angioplasty (meaning open-heart - PLEASE not!), and what damage has my heart already racked up from the previous heart attacks? I'll know soon enough, I guess.

And yes, I did do some mini-crochet in the waiting room while I waited, and waited....It's funny, no one there even seemed to notice I was doing something interesting - people usually do and I can tell them about dollhouses and scale miniatures, with a little show and tell. The only folks who did notice and ask questions were a couple of guys who were waiting with me to transfer vans on my way home, one just out of jail hours earlier and the other on foot/bike/van service because he'd lost his license for - you guessed it, DUI!! Go figure LOL.

Mary,

Thank you for the support. I will be sending positive thoughts your way that everything will turn out okay for you.

I am a little bit freaked out about the surgery but not because of the surgery. There are many things I want to get done around here before I have it done. So much to do.

I went to a Tastefully (something) party last night with my friend. It was really nice. It was two hours long, lots of stuff to taste and I ordered a couple things. The beer bread and a seasoning called Garlic Garlic.

I think the atmosphere and the laughter were the best medicine for me. I had fun.

I think I will do some modified cleaning today before I have to take the computer to be looked at.

>plop< OK, so you know I have been participating in a course for being able to apply for a principal/head master? Well, or rather yesterday the lady working in the school's office called asking me to call the "big boss" for the school district in our town this afternoon. OK, so when I do he offers me a temp job as a headmaster next semester, not a full time so I will keep part of the time at my school I work at now and 40 % at the other position, could have floored me with a feather. This will be an interesting journey! :flowers:

Hugs

Today is the trek with most of the refrigerated food to the Little House on the Highway, as we'll be leaving after breakfast tomorrow AM. I hope to finish the 1:24 stove for the FF and hunt for my icebox pattern.

Congratulations, Anna! I hope this means more money for minis!

Anna, that's fantastic! Congratulations!! What a load you'll have on your desk with teaching, administering, remodeling your real house, and miniature play. You go, girl! :p

Healing thoughts and prayers going out to all of our friends who are hurting. :flowers: