New kid on the block!

Laurie

I am just getting ready to build my first dollhouse. The Lily, cause I'm getting a great deal on it and I like it a lot. I was thinking of doing the Beacon Hill first but can't afford it just yet. I am an Interior Designer and have built models for my profession but never a house just for my own enjoyment. I wanted to do a period (historic) house because I don't get to do that type of house in my area. I am truly amazed at the variety of furnishings and decorations that are available on line. Also floored by some of the prices! :lol: Well, say hi to me I'll probably be asking a lot of questions once my kit gets here.

Hi Laurie, and :lol: to the community!

We'll look forward to watching your progress. The Lily is a great house for period decor. As you get into it, you'll find you can make many decorative items and furniture, which leaves more dollhouse dollars for the just-can't-do-without pricey items. :wave:

Hi Traci,

I've given it some thought since I read a post here from someone who didn't feel that it felt Victorian. Well, I'm from the south and we like to change things up a bit down here. If you flatten out that porch roof add wrought iron style railings and french doors off that upstairs stair hall she's got French Quarter/Vieux Carre written all over her. Lily is a southern Vicky as I see her.

Welcome to the "little" family here, Laurie, your Lily can be as Southern & Victorian as you could want (just bop on over to Appalachicola or even White Springs!). I have one still in the box that wants to be a Tuscan villa.

I'm about a two-hour drive from you in Havana, NW of Tallahassee, but we do a bit of camping, paddling & riding in Okaloosa & Santa Rosa Counties. Our favorite campground used to be a block & a half from the Gulf in eastern Destin, but the owners retired & sold it to a developer and now it's about 100 houses!

Miniature sources are mighty sparse where we are.

Hi there!

There's not much available here either. AC Moore in Ft Walton has a few things, Michaels here in Destin has nothing specific for miniatures but a lot of stuff to work with. Thank God for the internet. I originally going to build a house while I was in Germany. There was a ton of stuff available and for a lot less than they sell the German things for on line! But, as life goes, I wasn't able to stay in Germany for as long as I thought. I'm very excited to get started.

THANK YOU! I couldn't remember if the AC Moore was in Gulf Breeze or P'cola; it was in Ft Walton! Next time we get over there I'll go look. Is it on the road to Niceville, or along US98?

The closest mini "store" (if she still has a brick&moter store) is Tina's in Starke. She didn't have much when we were there; she was at the CIMTA show & her mom said she was leaving that building & going to sell out of her garage, but I haven't seen anything online.

I'll PM you when we head back over that way, maybe we can get together. Wish you'd joined sooner, Nutti was just in Pensacola recently, visiting friends. Maybe next year we can all get together & play minis!

Good Morning Holly,

The AC Moore is actually on Mary Esther Blvd. (Used to be M E Cutoff) right across the street from Home Depot. If you are looking at a map it's on the end closer to Beal Pkwy but you can still get there if you hit M E Blvd from 98.