Hello

QPdoll

I got the Orchid kit today on a whim. I've read the instructions. I've looked at many of the Orchid photos in the Community Gallery here. I'm a bit nervous about starting my Orchid project because I really had no idea how complicated building a dollhouse could be! Oh, well, I'll do my best and try to make it be fun! :lol:

Welcome to the Neighborhood!! If you follow the instructions, step by step, you'll end up with a dream house just like it is on the box. I personally always add my windows and doors last but do what you feel is best. Do a little bit at a time. It really is not as bad as it looks. :lol:

Hi Suzanne, and welcome! :) The Orchid is a very pretty dollhouse - good choice! I'm sure you will have fun with it. This forum is a great place to learn all about dollhouses - I guarantee you will have lots of fun here! :D

!!!Welcome to the forum!!!

now dont let all those sheets of parts scare you!

the Orchid is a great house to start with!

read the directions a few times and take the time to make sure you have a place to work(that does not have to cleared away each day)

make sure you have the tools needed for a build

masking tape (easy peasy clamp system)

xacto knife with extra blades

sandpaper or sponge

glue

2 tips for you

NO HOT GLUE

DO WINDOWS LAST

I dont care what the directions tell you

it is a WHOLE lot easier to decorate inside and out without the "glass"

I usually put my windows and inside trim on last....window glass on the inside

allowing me to decorate the outside first.

there are alot more tools and tips out there...just go looking through the site.

the Orchid Blog would be a most excellent place to start

there are 2 of them with lots of examples for you to take inspiration!

I do hope you will come share with us your fun!

Happy Building!

nutti :)

Hi there Suzanne,have fun with your kit,dont be afraid to "think outside of the box" and add your own special touches,such as real glass windows or paperclay exterior. There are so many possibilities! I really love this forum, and there is another one, google "small stuff digest" that is also wonderful.I think probably most of us here are members there also,everyone in this hobby is a kindred spirit!

Welcome to the forum!

I just made my first dollhouse, also an Orchid! It was so much fun, even though it seemed very daunting at the beginning. I prepped and assembled all my windows first, but didn't add them to the house until everything else was painted, papered, and assembled. The only problem with my Orchid was that it wasn't enough space to use all my ideas, so I had to get another dollhouse! Addicting little buggers.

I have a lot of photographs in my gallery, if you'd like to take a look.

welcome to the forum, Suzanne.

Actually there are two building blogs for the Orchid because it was a fun competition between the Building Team and the Community. Small Stuff Digest has wonderful archives full of how-tos as well as links. Oh, and here's my blog.