New Here

LadyAlways

Hi....... I'm LadyAlways aka Julie. I live on the gulf coast of Mississippi.

42 yrs old medically retired mom of two. I decided to build the dollhouse Dad always

promised to build me. Hopefully with his help from above my Orchid will appear finished

one morning from the mini elves. ( One can hope huh? LOL :D )

I dabble in alot of hobbies, needlework, polymer clay, beading (jewelry and french),

and of course my online adventures.

One of my hopes in between the Orchid would to be able to build my Mom a

mini-miniature village. She has Alzheimers, and is stuck on the thought of me

building her a dollhouse. So I am looking for ideas on what I could create mainly out

of things I have on hand (Which according to my husband is everything under the sun ...

Okay I'm a pack rat :) )

And also how to size them.

Future adventures in dollhouses...... my ten yr old daughter has already picked out

at least a half dozen for me to build for her :mad: But time will tell for those LOL

I have no doubt I will learn alot from the groups here. I have alot of reading to do :thumb:

Hello Julie - welcome to the forum! You have just joined a wonderful group of people - staff and members alike. :)

Sorry to hear about your Mum - but how great that you can fulfill her mini desires!

All of your other hobbies can be put to work as you explore the miniature world. You will find all kinds of terrific info here (check out all the topics, galleries and blogs), and also at your local library. There are DIY links in a pinned topic here that should give you plenty of ideas!

The most common scale (size) is 1:12. In other words, one inch equals one foot - a 6' man would become a 6" doll.

There is also 1:24, or half-scale. A half-inch equals one foot. That six foot man would become a three inch doll.

Some people like to work with 1:48 quarter-scale. A quarter inch = one foot. 6' man, one and a half inch doll.

If you wanted to build a dollhouse for the dollhouse, that would be 1:144 scale.

The Orchid is a great first choice - such a pretty dollhouse! Please remember that all questions are valid here - if you're wondering about something, chances are good that others are wondering the same thing. We all learn when a question is asked - the answers given are often quite varied - and always helpful.

Welcome, Julie. Where on the MS Gulf coast? Y'all took a terrible beating from Katrina!

The Orchid is such an easy-peasy house to build that you'll only need the elves to hand you things and your dad for inspiration & a cheering section! There are two sets of building blogs for the Orchid to help you along. That was the second kit I built in an RV camper.

There's a lot of other information scattered amongst the different subforums. Happy reading! And ask lots of questions. Also, it's OK to make mistakes and to mess up, you can always use them as opportunites to bash the kit into something even more wonderful. Do listen to the kit, often these little houses have very specific preferences for what they want to become & how they want to look.

Hi and welcome. So DD has picked out 10--not an unreasonable number as you will see once you start reading. LOL Greenleaf sells a miniature village, might want to look at it for possible solution to your Mom's ideas.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm really looking forward to getting

started on the Orchid. I'll have to look online for the village. I was thinking

of maybe doing them in a foam board, but have no ideas on patterns.

Time to get inventive .... lol

Welcome to the forum!

the Orchid is a great starter house!

I built and decorated mine in 7 days....the paint and stuff have to dry between the steps

LOL of course how fast it can be done...doesnt mean you have to do that...but just to show you that it is a good build and if you have an idea of what you want on the inside it will go even faster for you!

I do hope you will share your progress with us!

Happy Building!

nutti :hug:

This is Great !!!!! Addicting....... I think I already am.

Having to rearrange things in my building area so I have room.

To start my Orchid..... We may have to do take out this week

So I have more mini time LOL :tomato:

Yes, we did take a direct hit from Katrina here in Biloxi.

It was a nightmare, hopefully will never have to do that again.

But we were one of the lucky ones, even with nine hours of

165 + winds. Houses down the street from us were flooded.

And the one large tree fell the opposite direction from the house.

So we feel very lucky.

The idea for a village for my mom, I'm still wondering about.

I've heard mention in a post that there is a Greenleaf Village.

What I'm wanting to build I would like to fit on like a serving tray.

So I'm thinking will need to be very small... I've not been able

to find the Village locally...... does anyone know if it is available

online...... and what size the buildings would be?

I've considered just doing freehand foam board...... but I want them to

look somewhat real. My mind is just going in so many directions as to

what to do. LOL

This place has gotten addicting already.....I love it

heard mention in a post that there is a Greenleaf Village.
I think at one time there were three different sets of 1:48 houses available, plus one or more two-house sets. I have The Greenleaf Town. I also have three 1:48 scale kits for Chinese houses from http://www.woodcraft-puzzles.com .

HBS has The Greenleaf Village: 58010.jpg

and Santa's Village: 552497.jpg

(which I may get for the April Fool's sale).

Oh those are great...... I'll probably have to get both for myself.

But I think they are still a bit bigger than I had in mind for

my mom's tray. She'll be goin to a nursing home at some point.

And would be very limited space for display. The picture in my mind

are several lil houses and maybe a store and bakery and a church

I have the feeling that I'll just have to find some dollhouse

instructions/plans and just kinda wing it :thumbup: with maybe foamboard

or lightweight wood.

Um, Julie, I don't know how your math is, but a 1:24 scale dollhouse is 1/8 the total size of a 1:12 scale dollhouse, so a 1:48 scale house is 1/64 the total size of a 1:12 scale house, and I'll bet you could fit two or three of them onto a good-size tray.

Foam core is also a perfectly good structural material if you want to design your own.