New Here

LadyAlways

Julie, if I were in your position, I'd be thinking more of a traditional dollhouse than a village. Alzheimer's patients tend to latch onto (and remember) familiar objects. I suppose the key would be to what your mother thinks of when she hears "dollhouse".

If she thinks of a traditional dollhouse, you may want to consider the McKinley by Greenleaf for this project.

It is constructed so that it can hang on a wall, which may be a good solution to limited surface space when your mother moves into a nursing home. It is 1:12, so even if her hands are a bit shaky or eyesight not what it was, she can comfortably move the furniture around -- if she's of a mind to do that.

The footprint for the McKinly is 33" wide, but it is only 9" deep, so it could sit on a dresser top while she's still at home or even on a deep window sill in a nursing home. You can buy it through the Greenleaf Store on line or through Hobby Builders Supply.

At the Greenleaf site, there are links to the McKinley building blog and other samples of finished houses that will give you an idea of the versatility of this house.

Hi Julie! Welcome to the forums!

The Orchid was/is my first dollhouse -- and I've just finished it (for now, that is). Once you start to figure out how things go together and what order you want to go in, it is nice and straightforward. (For example, I prepped and assembled the windows, set them aside, finished the floors, painted the exterior, papered the inside, assembled, installed windows, did touch ups and finishing stuff.)

I read that you were wondering about the overall footprint of the Greenleaf Village, so I went and found a tray (18 by 11 inches) to see if my in-progress Village would fit on it. It does! I've got photographs in my gallery, if you'd like to see them. I bought mine from miniatures.com. The shipping was reasonable ($16 total for the travel trailer, adams, and village) and they arrived quickly. To get to the point that I'm at now, I spent about 3 hours punching, sanding, and glueing the pieces. I've had them taped together since then, just took it off for the photographs, and will likely paint a few tonight while I wait for the bedsheets to dry. Very easy, so far, and a good level of detail.