Starting to get worried...

Mini_girl81

Hey there everybody.....I just joined and then introduced myself in the new memeber area and then went around and read some of the posts. I am becoming very worried that maybe this hobby is way over my head. I am not that crafty, I get frustrated easily. I love dollhouses and miniatures SO much. I really want to do this. I think that aside from motherhood this may be the most difficlut project that I have ever undertaken. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for me?

Rebecca

No, you are not in over your head. I felt the same way (and still do at times). I'm not crafty, and also get frustrated easily, but if this is something you really want to do, go for it. I have learned a LOT these past few months. That I do have some creativity, it might take a few tries to get there :wave: , but it is so worth it to look at something you made! We are our own worst critics, that's for sure. And feel free to ask all the questions you want. This forum has helped me through so much! I never would have gone as far as I have if it wasn't for all the great advise/ideas I got from here. Just remember, this is not a contest, it is a hobby and should be enjoyable, but if you have an ARG! moment feel free to come here and vent, because we have (pretty much) all been there done that.

And most importantly...WELCOME to the forum!!!! :wub:

Hi Rebecca & welcome to the forum!

First off let me assure you that you can let your worry that you are over your head with this hobby go :wave: . I think many of us here on the forum can attest to the fact that we had similar concerns when we opened our first dollhouse kit & saw all of the pieces, read the many pages of instructions, etc. But once you start your build, you'll see that everything is done in steps - the house goes up one wall at a time and you can go as fast or as slow as you need or want to. The kit I'm currently working on, I began last January - sometimes I work on it steadily for a few days at a time, and sometimes I walk away from it and don't work on it at all for several weeks at a time - especially if I'm frustrated with some aspect of the build.

I love dollhouses and miniatures SO much. I really want to do this.

This love of dollhouses & miniatures, along with patience with yourself and the building process is all you need to create a dollhouse you will love & be proud of!

Best words of wisdom I can offer, read the instructions over a few times, to get a feel for the various steps. Do a dry fit of the basic house shell (put it together with masking tape) to get a general idea of what you'll be doing. Use wood glue or tacky glue and not hot glue as some instructions call for. Ask questions as you go along and don't kick yourself if you need to walk away from it for a little bit. And most of all have fun!

Lisa gave you the same advice I would have given. First opening a kit causes the panic button to go into high gear, but once you break it down into steps it is not as overwhelming.

Oh gosh. I just started my first house today and I totally understand. It arrived last Monday and I just let it sit in the box. I was afraid to open it. And then I knew I couldn't do anything with it until this weekend. I think I started panicking yesterday. I want it to be perfect and there's just no way I'm going to live up to my own expectations the first time around.

I started on it today and I feel a little better. It's not quite so overwhelming. But I already am seeing what I can do better and it kind of drives me crazy. I think I've already messed up the floor, but I'm just trying to tell myself that I'm a beginner and I'm learning as I go. I'm soooooo glad I chose a smaller house to start with. If I had gotten my big dream house I would have been defeated already.

Funny though, how much these little pieces of wood mean to me.

Hi!... All the advice so far is what I would say -- take your time, remember this is supposed to be fun, don't worry about "making mistakes", and just get started. Many many of us were like you -- just loved dollhouses, thought, "hey, that can't be all that hard!" and then were overwhelmed when the first box landed on our doorstep. For me, that was about 3 houses, 3 roomboxes and 3 years ago...and I'm still at it, still feeling a bit overwhelmed when the box arrives (I stare at my new Brookwood every day, but haven't gotten as far as pulling out the instructions yet!!).

I suspect there will be times that you'll want to take a sledgehammer to what you've done, or turn it into kindling...just step away for a few hours..or days. It'll be there when you get back, and generally the solution to your frustration will be obviousl

The folks here are very friendly and very helpful, and really like helping "newbies" with your first house.

So...read the instructions. Read them again. Make a pot of coffee or tea, and read them again, over a few days. Then open that boxpull out the first sheet, and set off to make yourself your dream!

First BIG RULE, though: DON'T use hot glue, even if the instructions say so..at least not for the primary construction. Any good wood glue..like Elmer's (and there are lots of others) is much better and you'll be much more pleased with the results. I use Elmer's, and Aleen's craft glue (which, like Elmer's, comes in various "thicknesses" and "tackiness"). Others will have other suggestions too..but not hot glue.

Have fun!

My advice is similar to Ann's. Enjoy it!! Remember it is your house so you are the only one who has to be happy with it. I know I love decorating them and have been known to stop for years once I can get the inside decorated. There will be tough times with them--we all get frustrated at times, but it works out. Remember it is a hobby and to have fun!!

Hi Rebecca,

Don't worry. I started my first house in August, and I'm still working on it. There have been times I ade to take some time off (esp. from wiring) but everyone here has been super helpful, and when it starts to come together, you'll be so proud with your work. Just relax, put on a good cd, and get to it when you are in the mood to.

Also, it's amazing how much you can catch up on tv shows on dvd when you are doing the tedious stuff (shingles, etc)

I'VE MADE QUITE A FEW DOLLHOUSES AND I STILL FEEL OVERWHELMED WHEN I FIRST LOOK AT THE DIRECTIONS OF A NEW HOUSE. BUT ONCE I START IT AND GET A FEW PIECES TOGETHER I START TO FEEL BETTER AND THEN I CAN'T STOP WORKING ON IT. IT'S SUCH A REWARDING HOBBY. FRUSTRATING AT TIMES, BUT THE END RESULT IS SO WORTH ALL THE EFFORT.

Rebecca, it is kinda scary to see that first kit in an opened box. Just remember, by and inch it's a cinch by the yard it's hard. Take baby steps. Do all of step 1 the first day (unless step one has part A - J :) ). Once you see that first step completed, you'll see for yourself that when you finish step 2....step 3 and so on that each step gets you closer to a completed house. Some of us work slower and some of us work faster. It's not a race and is supposed to be fun.

As long as you follow the steps, you CAN have a house exactly like the picture on your box cover.

I don't think anyone here has taken a sledge hammer to their houses yet. Just relax and have fun with your house. It will talk to you if you listen and tell you what it wants to be.

The only kit I ever wanted to set fire to wasn't a dollhouse, it was a grandfather clock that I was assembling for my son as a wedding gift for his bride. The instructions read that one person could put the kit together, they lied unless that one person was an octopus. Getting the clock to it's final stages was a nightmare but it did go together.

You can do it Rebecca! It's not hard, really it isn't! Just take one step at a time, and be sure and take a break when you get frustrated. Also, be sure to view the blogs for thoughts, ideas, steps, etc.

The issue of the Miniature Gazette, the publication of the National Association of Miniature Enthusiasts (NAME), arrived today. In it are a couple of great sayings. They probably deserve to be embroidered on a mini pillow. :)

If you don't make mistakes,

you don't make anything.

Mistakes are embellishments

waiting to happen.

Calm down and read your instructions. Read them over and over. Then try dry fitting the pieces. Hold together with masking tape that way you will see how each piece works with the next one. Once you do this it will give you an idea on how one piece relates to another. Remember that if you puch out the pieces number and label them with a pencil or tape. We all have made mistakes, but sometimes they turn out even better then if you followed the directions exactly. Of course the main pieces have to be done right to get the building square. But things like railings and porches can be changed to how you want it to look. I have made many "mistakes" and really liked the changes. This is your house and you can do whatever you want with it. You will find out that you have talents that you never thought you had. Bedding was scarey for me, but now I make it all the time. Just relax and calm down, walk away if you need to. Sometimes just getting away for it for an hour or even a day or so helps. Usually when you come back to it you'll say now why didn't I think of that. Or it will be in the back of your mind and a solution will come to you. Remember we are all here to help with any question. No question is stupid. Remember it isn't a race. I mainly work on mine in the winter months, so I'm not fast with my builds. I write down when ideas pop in my head. If not for this house then for a future build. Now that I wrote an essay go and have fun.

Welcome again, Rebecca. I have built a dollhouse kit or two and I still get "butterflies" when I open a new box. I have learned that the forum "Search" button is a useful tool (maybe why it's there).

I want it to be perfect and there's just no way I'm going to live up to my own expectations the first time around.
All y'all who feel like this, LET IT GO! Did you obsess like this when you were making mudpies in preschool? I don't think so... We are not all the dh artists that Tracy & Deb & several others are, but we do the best we can, we have fun and when we mess up some of us take it all apart and do over, and some of us go with the flow and change it into something different. There is NOTHING that cannot be covered with paint, wallpaper, SPACKLING COMPOUND, architectural embellishments or structural changes.
I am not that crafty,
Creativity has nothing whatsoever to do with craftiness, and we learn how to do crafts.
I get frustrated easily.
You should be a fly on the wall of my workroom! Feral cats LOVE it when I build!
I don't think anyone here has taken a sledge hammer to their houses yet.
Gayle hasn't read my building team blogs. Frustration has NOTHING to do with patience, BTW. I have developed almost infinite patience, but sometimes you have to "coax" the wood to fit, and whamming the bejeezis out of it with a big hammer usually works.

havanaholly's "cure" for frustration: walk away; pour yourself a stiff drink or grab a big piece of dark chocolate (a handful of baking chips works for me) and read a few chapters of a trashy novel. Actually, this was one of the ways I got into sculpting dolls... I also work on accessories whilst waiting for the frustration to go away so I can go back & fight with it refreshed with new ideas & enthusiasm. Y'all starting on your first build have the advantage of the years of frustration we have dealt with teaching ourselves all this stuff, finding forums & members to help us & bounce ideas off of.

Sorry for the sermon, I love this hobby and I love y'all new folks, and I want you to have the fun and total delight and wonderful discoveries it holds, and not let the occasional obstables and paintbrush dried to your beautifully finished floor (I won't tell you THAT story) stop you from having fun (you'd be amazed what a pretty effect the paint solvent gave when the color got worked into the wood...).

Calm down. We all started out the same way - just like you! Just take things one thing at a time, get used to that, and then move on! We're all here for you if you need us. All you need to do is just ask for some help and/or suggestions.

Don't give up! Never give in! If you do, you won't be able to tackle any other problems in life! Hang in there!

Rebecca,

Everyone has given great advice in this post to get you on your way to a great start!

The beauty of buildling dollhouses from kits is that creativity and high-level craft skills is not a requirement to build a beautiful house. If you can glue two pieces together and paint a flat surfice, you can build a dollhouse!!!

The picture on the box is a great a starting point for paint colors so you don't have to worry about creativity too much. Some people paint their house exactly like the box, (which takes the guesswork and decisions out of paint colors). Some people take a little more freedom and change the colors around. Your house will talk to you about color schemes and such and you will be amazed at the skills and talent you have that you didn't know you had!

My best advice to you is relax, enjoy the hobby, and take it nice and slow. I wouldn't recommend doing anything too advanced (like major bashing - changing the structural design of the house) or things like that until you feel comfortable moving to that level. Not to worry though, you'll be at that skill level in no time (by the time you finish your first house and are thinking about another ! :banana:

Keep in mind also that there are TONS of houses out there to be built and if this one doesn't come out exactly as you want it, you can always build another house with the skills and experience you gained from your first house!

You're going to do GREAT and your house will be gorgeous!! Take lots of pictures along the way and please, feel free to ask for any and all help you need :)

Christine