Hi from a new Guy

Hi all:

Well my wife finally got me to log in to the wonderful world of Greenleaf.

This site gots more buttons and options than a than a Rolls Royce headed for Saudi Arabia.

In the next few months I hope to find my way around and back home again!

Monica and I have just about finished our first house; a Lily. Phew what a challenge that was for a first timer.

I got to tell you now hooked like a bass on bacon. ;) My favorite part was the Mansard roof. After: wetting, steaming, forming on soda bottles, I finally got mad and bent the hell out of it by hand and with a cracking, splintering sound it finally surrendered. I also made a tool to hold it to the roof supports while the glue dries.

If I figure out how to post it I will share my roof bender/fitter/holder while the glue dries tool.

That is what I do make tools and bend stuff to make it work, glue things and add the electricity.

I'll see you around (if I don't get lost) and look forward to finding out what all you all are up to.

Bye now

Welcome Russel!!! Boy do we ever NEED another MALE!!!--LOL Being a person who has invented a few tools myself, I would be very interested in seeing this bending/holding/glueing tool!

Jump on in, mostly we get "put up with" but hey, I have a lot to learn and these folks have forgot more than I will ever know.

And, what is even better than that, you can keep a eye on that DW of yours, you won't BELIEVE how thay talk about us poor ole husbands!!

Kevin

Welcome to the forum "family", Russell, and Kevin knows we only pick on those who pick on us first (do a search on LOSHBB to see what we mean) and enjoy building your action-figure support structures (AKA dollhouses). Since you are here on your own account (so to speak) you'll need to make a total of five posts and then you can post pictures, and I also want to see your roof bender/fitter/holder thingamajig; my method is to mark the side I want to bend at 1" intervals, score it across halfway through the depth of the plywood with my utility knife & a steel straight-edge and "gently" force it along the curve I have liberally smeared with carpenter's wood glue and then staple the d**ned thing into place with a Stanley heavy-duty stapler and a spate of *magic* words that'll make Hell's Angels blush like little schoolgirls! DH & I used to own a bookstore in Jacksonville, FL's west side and many of our customers were members of either Hell's Angels or Outlaws, so I got lots of practice!lol

Holly Hi

I'm in Real Estate out here in California, so I thought it would be cool to set up a mini Real Estate Company and web site for selling mini homes Market being what it is). But my wife tells me no one EVER sells there homes. Oh well I thought it would be a great way to add some more income. The only problem is getting paid in those mini bucks.

I figured out how to add my holder/gluer/tool and it is up now in a reply. Lets see that's 3 post so far. I trust it's quanity and not quality that counts.

Russel out

That looks like it will work!! How long do you have to keep it clamped before you release it (and what happens if you don't wait long enough--LOL). If that glue ever letts go Russel----LOL in the middle of the night--LOL

Russel, I notice you have used a TERRIBLE word in another post (actully two words)----HOT GLUE. Little did I realize before I joined this forum this substance is respossible for every WOE on the earth today!! UNDER NO CIR-COME-STANCE USE this substance!! Even at a point of a large caliber gun, don't DARE ever even THINK of useing it!! (I am carefull not to type the two horrible words more than once). Russel, when a stray thought of this substance enters your mind, REPENT and for God's sake don't ACT on any stray impulse to USE this horrible substance!!

All these years I have been BLIND, having NO IDEA I was encouraging the horrible people who actully MAKE this terrible product by useing it! May God and Holly forgive me in the life to come, I shall pled gross ingorance and hope that grace will be shown a poor dumb southern boy!!

Kevin (the REFORMED!!)

Kevin, the holder works great I left in on for 24 hrs. There was one edge that did not stick, so I put a bit of carpenters glue on the blade of an Xato knife and stuffed it in along the edge and re-clamped. Again for 24 hrs, it held. Don't tell my wife she hates it when I slop glue around. One of the things I realized was gluing to a wallpapered surface is not a good idea because it is only as strong as the wall paper glue. The way I over can this was by wetting the wall paper a bit and then adding the carpenters glue. I hope it would soak through and some how get to the wood behind the paper. I guess it did because the parts are still holding. I used a wet Q tip to aid in the clean up

Now I understand why my wife freaked out every time I pulled out the ______ ______ gun. I never used it for anything that needed any real holding power. Honest Guys. The 2 main glues I used where Quick Grip from Walmart and Special 'T' from Woodcraft. The Special 'T' is a 60 sec super glue gel. Make sure you get the glue solvent (also at Woodcraft) to clean your fingers (and other unwanted stuck stuff). The label says it can cause cancer, but hey what doesn't these days. My other glue is Hot Stuff also from Woodcraft. This is a 5 sec glue. I used it by putting it on thin pieces of wood like siding before cutting it so that my knife or saw would not follow the wood grain. That's my story of glue for now.

Thanks for the heads up about the _____ ____ gun. Realy I knew that it would not work for anything that needed real holding power. I don't understand why the manufactures say to use it all the time????

WHEW!!!! What a relif!! It sounds like you (with the help of at WONDERFUL wife) have avoided the dreaded condition. As for "the manufactures" I am sure it is some muliti govermental one world conspirscy!!! Put in place years ago by the banking cartell with the aim of leading unsupecting people astray! Ther has to be SEVERAL books on the subject by now.

Russel, I have only been a member of this forum for a scant 2 months and I have been a witness to the HORROR ____ _______ has been responsible for in the dollhouse world. I thought of calling my congressman and asking for a investgation, but I soon realized the goverment HAS to KNOW!!

In any case I am soooooooo gald you have avoided tragidy and heart break!! Welcome brother dollhouse builder, may all your "bashing" be constructive--LOL

Kevin

Welcome to the forum. and wonderfully, addictive world of dolhouses and minis!! I see no reason you can''t build and sell them!! Too many dh shops are closing up, and too few are opening up!! Love your ingenuity in the tool things! My DH creates stuff that works too. He once made me a "chiner",( a screw driver with a bar welded to the handle, for those nasty little furniture pieces that require 3 hands to hold down, when you've only got two, and your chin! LOL

Can't wait to see more of your work, and not to worry, you;ll be an expert forum surfer in no time.

Holly Hi

I'm in Real Estate out here in California, so I thought it would be cool to set up a mini Real Estate Company and web site for selling mini homes Market being what it is). But my wife tells me no one EVER sells there homes. Oh well I thought it would be a great way to add some more income. The only problem is getting paid in those mini bucks.

I figured out how to add my holder/gluer/tool and it is up now in a reply. Lets see that's 3 post so far. I trust it's quanity and not quality that counts.

Russel out

Due to space limitations I have to sell some of my houses, my hairdresser begged me to put them in her shop to sell for me and my Coventry Cottage has been there for asmost three months. I priced it at my usual cost of materialsX2 and made a neat little sign describing what it started as & how I made everything in it and so far my hairdresser says no one wants to spend that much. (I'm just as happy, I really don't want to sell them, it's just that I have an unbuilt kit or two patiently waiting to be built: the Newberg, the Willowcrest, the Lily, the LE Arthur, the Washington 2.0, the Greenleaf Village, two Fairfields, the Fantasy Villa, the 1:24 furniture kit, a Buttercup, a Sugarplum and three 1:48 Chinese house kits... I guess that's more than two, but you get the idea... Oh, and the 1:24 "pueblo" kit I'm building now.)

I think back in the 70s & early 80s, when the instructions for the older kits were written, hot glue was supposedly a better product that melted at a higher temperature than more modern glue guns work at, and held together better (I doubt it, for several years I watched a Greenleaf shop model built with hot glue slowly fall apart in a Sylvester, GA, shop window). On the other hand, here is the condition of the Laurel I got for US$2 to rehab last year.

I do admire well done jigs & tools, and your bender/fitter/holder thingie is a winner!

gluing to a wallpapered surface is not a good idea because it is only as strong as the wall paper glue.
No, NOT a good idea, and for some strange reason wood glue doesn't like painted surfaces too much, either. For this reason I rarely decorate before assembly any more, unless the dry-fit shows me it's the only way that place will get done!lol Sometimes this means turning the built shell upside down to reach some corners... Thanks to Linda Cullen for that particular tip! That's the reason I began to use the stapler, to reinforce the "seams" as I flip the house around, so it doesn't fall apart while I'm decorating it.

Wow, thank you all for the welcome! I did find a legitimate use for Hot Glue. It's Ok it's not for the mini's no one panic. Kevin tells me that strange things happen when you say hot glue. I thought I saw the Archer shaking on the work table at the mention of the substance.

I use it for making sanders. I bet everyone does this but I'm new and want to share stuff and find out things.

What I do is wrap those free stir sticks with sand paper and HG them. First one edge is glued to the stick edge then wraped and HG glue to the edge again. I have reused the sticks many times.

Again, thank you all for the welcomes.

post-2781-1200842145_thumb.jpg

Hi Russell! :p

Good to see another hubby here! Mine is around but doesn't post much. I was wondering how those mansard roofs went on...been looking at the Beacon Hill and the Lily. It's great to see how someone did it. :wave:

blog-70-1141784422_thumb.jpg

I hope Peggi doesn't mind my sharing this picture of how she did it, from her Team Lily building blog. Curving plywood for the roof is a problem to be solved however one can.

Don't mind at all Holly. I'm just glad to hear that I wasn't the only one to have such a horrible time with this roof.

Welcome to the forum. If you ever read my blog you will find that several strange things were done to make that roof fall into submission. I came very close to throwing the house out the door because of that roof. LOL Wish I had your tool at the time, may have save a lot of cussing.

Other Lily builders don't be discouraged though, the other team builders seem to have been able to get their roofs to comply without any trouble at all.

Sorry to be so late with my welcoming greeting. It's very good to have another man here - I sometimes think the others may feel lonely. Perhaps you'll even get a section to discuss your action-figure structures in! For now, you'll have to put up with "dollhouse" terminology. :)

I like the roof-bending tool - if I ever build a mansard roof I'll know who to talk to!

Thanks for the tip about ___ ____ for holding the sandpaper on sticks. I usually use masking tape, but that would be a good way to use up all my ___ ____.