Hello Everyone

Aunt Kathy

Hi Everyone, I'm Kathy from St. Louis Missouri. I have been stalking this board for a while and decided to finally join in the fun. I purchased my "Beacon Hil" before my daughter was born over 21 years ago. I had a vision of us working on the house and decorating it together (I love crafts, sewing and painting).

When Amy turned 5 and the house was still in the box my sister took over. She put the frame together and did all the "real work" (wallpapering, flooring, etc) and delivered the house to Amy on Christmas Eve. We never really worked on the house as I planned. We bought some cheap furniture at craft shows but it was never what I "Imaged" the Beacon Hill to look like.

It also went through many owners.

The first owners were little wirey people who reminded me of Marsha Brady and Davie Jones from the Monkeys (she had long blond hair and a pink dress and I don't remember what he wore.) Amy had no idea who Marsha Brady and Davie Jones were at the time which made it all the more fun for me. I believe Marsha and Davie lived there for several years until their heads fell off...

The next inhabitants were My Pretty Ponies. Amy never liked dolls much but loved ponies. She swore that all ponies should live in big victorian houses and sit down at the table to eat and sleep in beds... Sometime shortly after the ponies lived in the house she abandoned the dollhouse altogether to hang out at the barn with the "real ponies".

About this time my son Matt decided that the house would make a great place for the "Power Rangers" to live. During the time the Power Rangers lived in the house it went through some serious destruction. (Have you seen the way the Power Rangers jump around and beat on things???) Matthew had a great imagination so naturally the Power Rangers had pet dinosaurs who also lived in the house.

When Matt outgrew the Power Rangers and moved on to other interests the house sat vacant in the basement for several years until a few weeks ago when I decided it was time for the "Beacon Hill" to come out of storage and become the "Showcase" I've imagined for almost 23 years, since I saw it for the first time at Aunt Heidi's Corner (a miniature store in St. Louis, that has long since closed). The problem is that years of hard play has taken it's toll and it's definitely not the beauty I vision when I close my eyes and whisper "Beacon Hill".

I visualize women dressed in beautiful dresses being served tea in the parlor, while the men smoke cigars in the study. The children playing quietly with simple games while the nanny looks on attentatively, and definitely a cat sleeping on the landing. I know the Beacon Hill has brought much joy to my children over the years and not many children can say they "played" with a dollhouse that was as expensive as this one, but the time has come for the "Beacon Hill" to be restored to it's well deserved "Splendor".

As you can see I have big, big plans but I am going to start small and work one room at a time so I don't become overwhelmed. I am starting with the outside which needs a ton of work. Filling holes, New paint, New shingles (it never had shingles, just sandpaper roofs). I also plan to open up the tower and eventually turn it into a (haunted) attic. So my dreams are big everyone and your thoughts and suggestions are definitely welcome. I would appreciate if anyone knows of good places to purchase miniature accessories in the St. Louis area as I've only found a couple of stores so far. I will post pictures of my progress as soon as this is available to me.

Well I'm sorry this post is so long but I wanted to give you all a really good inside look at the BEFORE Beacon Hill.

PS - I know that this miniature thing really can balloon, which was evident last night when I stopped by the Hobby Lobby to check out their minature section and prices and I started looking at the completed "Orchid" they had on display and I couldn't help thinking what a nice home it would make for all those homeless Little Ponies that are packed away in the basement...

Welcome to the community, Kathy! I'm west of you, in Marshall, MO, and looking forward to starting my own Beacon Hill this year. You've lived with your BH so long that you probably have a good conversational relationship with it. After what it has seen, I'm sure it will tell you just exactly what it wants! :p

Welcome, Kathy, you're in good company here!

I visualize women dressed in beautiful dresses being served tea in the parlor, while the men smoke cigars in the study. The children playing quietly with simple games while the nanny looks on attentatively, and definitely a cat sleeping on the landing. I know the Beacon Hill has brought much joy to my children over the years and not many children can say they "played" with a dollhouse that was as expensive as this one, but the time has come for the "Beacon Hill" to be restored to it's well deserved "Splendor".
One of the gallery albums you'll want to check out is Susanne's/ Missymew's BH, with her little people doing just exactly those things.

Hi Kathy, welcome, welcome! You are indeed at the right place - I'm so glad you found this forum! Please have a good look around here - your Beacon Hill will soon blossom into the elegant and charming home you have for so long envisioned. :wave:

Hello and :wave: Kathy!

Your Beacon Hill sounds like it's been through the ringer alright! Power Rangers? Oh boy...my oldest loved them too and YES they can really do a number karate-chopping and kicking! I've had my Rutherford 26 years and it's seen a lot of play as well, but it's now slowly becoming the house I always dreamed it could be. There's so much inspiration, encouragement, and help on this forum and the people here are more than happy to help you make your dreamhouse become real!

Hmmm, My Little Ponies living in an Orchid..what a fun idea!

Thanks so much for all the comments. I LOVE all the pictures I've found here of completed dollhouses and want to use many of the ideas on mine. My problem is I've been spending more time here on line looking at pictures and reading posts than I am working on the house!!!

Hello everyone,

to Aunt Kathy when you are finish the repairs on your Beacon Hill. You can get some neat pre-made stuff at minishop.com. But the best is some neat stuff you can make out of stuff around the house. The best books to make some of your own is 1. victorian dolls'house projects a day in the life by christiane berridge. 2. making miniatures projects for the 1:12 scale dolls' houses by christiane berridge. 3. the dollhouse decorator by vivenne boulton. I hope this is helpful. Michelle

Hello everyone,

to Aunt Kathy when you are finish the repairs on your Beacon Hill. You can get some neat pre-made stuff at minishop.com. But the best is some neat stuff you can make out of stuff around the house. The best books to make some of your own is 1. victorian dolls'house projects a day in the life by christiane berridge. 2. making miniatures projects for the 1:12 scale dolls' houses by christiane berridge. 3. the dollhouse decorator by vivenne boulton. I hope this is helpful. Michelle

Oh, well, if it comes to that, both of Andrea Barham;s books are also great for DIY; but IMHO the queen of recycled trash-into-minis is Patircia King! Even the introductions to her books are informative as well as hilariously entertaining!

Oh, well, if it comes to that, both of Andrea Barham;s books are also great for DIY; but IMHO the queen of recycled trash-into-minis is Patircia King! Even the introductions to her books are informative as well as hilariously entertaining!

What is the name of her book ( patricia king's)? michelle

Hello and welcome! May you get your thoughts together and start building!

Wolfie

Hello Gina, It's me Michelle from dreamdwellers. Wow, what a nice castle box. I haven't done anything like that. But I would like to do something like that. I hope the attachments that I emailed you got to you. And enjoy the reading when you get your book, and doing some of the projects.

What is the name of her book ( patricia king's)? michelle
The ones I have are Making Dolls' House Furniture (includes instructions for making & dressing Major Rodeahead & his family & staff), Making Victorian Dolls' House Furniture (includes making plants), Dolls' House Bathrooms: Lots of Little Loos (her introduction in this one is especially entertaining!) and Dolls' House Fireplaces & Stoves (I've made one of her stoves twice):

blog-242-1129237311_thumb.jpgand here's how I made it.