Frog House ... 1/2" scale?

KathieB

Well, I made the pet shop for one niece, and now it's time to think about niece #2. She's a 3rd grade teacher who is nuts for frogs. After turning the internet upside down, I found a set of Calico Critters/Sylvanian Bullrush family frogs, who are now on their way here from Edinburgh, Scotland. (When these critters go out of production, they really disappear!) The little girl isn't with the set, but Walter, Lydia, Algernon, and baby Moses will be looking for a home.

I'd like to use something unusual for their home (like the Tiny Mouse Twins spice can or Linda's birdhouse), but haven't yet spotted anything that says "a frog family would like to live here." I can envision the lilypad bed for the parents but not where it is located.

Also, with Walter being all of 3" high, am thinking this should be a 1/2-scale project.

Any suggestions to get my imagination rolling would be most appreciated!

hi,

that is a great project!

the mushroom idea is adorable

in the garden here, the toad/frog houses are large, partially-buried terra cotta flower pots.

they look sort of like the old clamshell bandstands from the big band era.

the flower pots are painted with bright colors, which does not seem to bother the inhabitants. there's an opening at the back, in case a quick exit is needed.

My kind of favourite project, I have been collecting frogs as well....

I were thinking of using an old shoe kind of building... Or why not make a papier mache hollow stone, that way you can get it as big as you want and with a neat kind of texture. I did that once for a school project, used an old platic ball one uses in the water. Enforced it with chicken wire, then added another couple of layers of that papier mache. Painted the whole thing in a stone colour, cut out a door and then cut of a part of the top as well so that I could get access to the inside.

This certainly sounds like a fun project!

One could also give them a pet or two, perhaps a ouple of flies or a dargon fly or domething like that in a "bird" cage...

Hugs and please share pics when you work on this.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

Anna, my thinking is heading in the direction of constructing a papier mache frog den. Or perhaps using half of a small basket, something more natural in appearance than flowerpots or ceramic toad houses, something that would blend into the bank of a pond.

I won't get to this for several weeks, so the ideas have a while to germinate. The little boy will definitely have a pet of some kind, and I wonder what a mother frog would cook up to feed her clan. Dad may even have a computer so he can work from home. :lol:

I wonder what a mother frog would cook up to feed her clan.

Big, fat bluetailed flies, of course!

I also like the idea of an inverted flowerpot divided into rooms with a notched branch for a stair and twig furniture, lovely lilypad beds, pond rock bathroom fixtures, Edwardian era kitchen appliances...

Big, fat bluetailed flies, of course!

I also like the idea of ... Edwardian era kitchen appliances...

:) Your Wind in the Willows is showing. :lol:

As for food ... Shoo Fly Pie, for sure, with realistic flies, of course. :) ... those gummy worms ...

I had a thought while out running errands this morning: what better place for a frog family to live than a HOUSEBOAT???

<grabbing sketch pad and inserting lily pads>

The houseboat idea is fantastic! Frogs love mud, so how about the boat for outings, and an adobe mud hut with a straw roof and lovely mud floors for staying at home? It could be decorated with all sorts of finds from the river - old keys, rings, and so forth. (Like The Borrowers, using full-size items in their home.)

Loooove the houseboat idea, and as it might be a bit on the "big" side size wise, that would also add the possibility of having pehraps two floors in it so tha tthey will be having their own "bot" kind of mansion? Lots of room to roam around in and decorate, perhaps even their indoors mudpool area, along with a swimming faciclity etc etc....

And when you do start going from sketch pad to actual building we most defintiley need pics!!!! :wave: Pretty puleeeez??? :wave:

Hugs

the house boat idea is a great idea! i was going to suggest maybe using the travel trailer kit. since they are so small i bet you could put a 2nd floor in it!!

hope my idea helps.. u know... i gave myself a good idea :wave:

Nutti said:

would this be a bad time to say I thought of the house boat also??

but your frogs are a little small...so you may have to do some bashing.

Excellent timing! I've always felt that a good idea or invention will always find a vehicle with which to make its place in the world. The houseboat pushed on through the chaos of brainstorming to make its presence known!

Went out to lunch with some gal pals and then to a quilt shop, and the houseboat just wouldn't get out of my mind. I thought about the scale ... but I'm thinking these are ELEGANT frogs, so a parlor with silk wallcoverings & wainscoting, high ceiling and a crystal chandelier would not be out of line, with a walnut-paneled library/wheelhouse for Father and an over-the-top Edwardian or Victorian kitchen for Mom. The top deck could be covered over to become the bedrooms, parents and kids. Maybe, because of their size, it will end up a tri-level. And the back deck is available for junior's toys and an array of fishing gear as well as Mom's potted plants. And it's probably tethered in a quiet, lily-filled corner of the pond, protected by the arching branches of a bridal wreath or jasmine or some kind of bush.

BTW, I'll probably enter this in the contest, but I'm not going to keep it secret. It's waaaaaaay too much fun to share with y'all and get feedback. :wave:

Guess I better think about getting a houseboat kit. :wave:

oooo, i love the idea of the elegant edwardian abode.

and you painted such splendid word pictures.

a thought: If Mr. Pfrogg has a home computer, would it be :wave: an I-pad?

Maybe, because of their size, it will end up a tri-level. And the back deck is available for junior's toys and an array of fishing gear as well as Mom's potted plants. And it's probably tethered in a quiet, lily-filled corner of the pond, protected by the arching branches of a bridal wreath or jasmine or some kind of bush.

I like the idea of a houseboat home for you Pfroggy family. Probably should get a mantis nanny for Junior.

I don't have the kit yet, but printed out pictures. I have the overall dimensions of 31.5 W x 13.75 H x 13.25 D.

Could some kind soul with the kit share some detail dimensions? I'd like to know the ceiling height and the LxW of the top deck, please.

TIA :welcome:

From the descriptions I just read, you have a contest winner on your hands. It would definitely get my vote.

Is the male frog named Phineas?

Hi Gayle ... thanks for the good thoughts, but it's a long way from words to deed. :)

This is the Bullrush family ... Walter, Lydia, Algernon, and baby Moses Bullrush. Phineas has to find his own digs. ... lol