LED lightning

Fericia

Some folks have used LEDs and other battery-operated lights; unfortunately, with the more than four letter restriction on the search feature here you'll not easily find their posts. You might try using "battery-operated lights" in the search box and see what you come up with.

I bought one for the attic in the New Hampshire house and I don't like it at all. The light seems bluish and cold and I have to take it out to find the little switch to turn it on and off. They are also really expensive. But I guess if you weigh the expense against buying copper tape, transformers, etc. It all balances out.

I bought some for a few of my houses that were not wired, I did not like the blueish cold light either, so I painted each bulb with a peach colored craft paint and it became a warm inviting light.

• Like 2

There are several kinds of LED lights - some come in strips, which can be cut, and can be wired right into the house. Available at RGT. I used those on my Miniature Museum and then hooked it all up to the transformer so they plug into house current. Then there are the individual LED lamps which have to be turned on and off individually. HBS has several of those. I think those would be a pain for dollhouse, but they are nice for a room box. Then there the little, individual, LED lights that are awesome for the smaller scales - micro houses, room boxes, teacup scenes, etc. They come in various sizes, cool lights and warm lights, and run off a coin battery which lasts a very long time. I use those all the time in my micro houses and scenes. They are from Evans Designs and can be found at modeltrainsoftware.com. They also have the flickering lights for a campfire or fireplace.

• Like 2

I put them in two houses---they were in the garden/floral section of our big store--intended for floral illuination. $7 and they do just fine. You do have to hide the battery pack, but for the price they do the job. The ones I have take double AA batteries that have lasted well, but I don't run them for long, either.

I've bought about twelve LED lamps, ceiling lights, etc. I also have the wiring and transformers (and lamps) for traditional doll's house lighting but since I am a total beginner, and also tend towards impatience (LOL) I decided to buy 'instant' lighting so I could admire my creations even if wiring-up my houses should prove too difficult!

I've just bought some of those stick-on-the-wall circular LED lights - the ones that take AAA batteries. Ah, you may be thinking, how big and ugly! No use for a doll's house... But I hope to transform a few of these into period-style chandeliers! How? Not sure yet Ha Ha. I am hoping to use a couple in my 1/12th scale deco house, because the colour (silver) and shape should blend in almost seamlessly. I'll have to research ornate deco lighting for ideas.

Thinking ahead it may be possible to place one or two behind a lovely deco panel to create a light installation.

I was in a dollhouse shop in Cocoa, Florida, having a conversation with a woman about battery operated vs tape wire. I said I preferred the tape wire because you can turn all the lights off at one time and not have to fiddle with each switch on the battery operated ones. Then the owner of the shop came over and "Clapped" his hands and all the lights in one house turned off. He actually sells a Clapper attachment for the battery lights. How ingenious!

• Like 3

A remote control clapper for battery lights? I can't wrap my head around this concept. The battery lights operate with an on/off switch that must be moved physically. How can a clapper do that? :hmm: Enquiring minds want to know.

The "clapper" is actually contained in the battery section of the fixture. You leave the switch in the on position. The shop does not have a website, but I found this example:

http://miniaturedesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=35624

Great idea! I must explore this more! I like the battery op LED lights and this is dandy :D

:bouncesmile:

The "clapper" is actually contained in the battery section of the fixture. You leave the switch in the on position. The shop does not have a website, but I found this example:

Thanks for searching for these. What a super idea.

@Grazhina ... do you have any of these at New England Miniatures?

This is my local dollhouse store! I'll have to go play with them the next time I'm there. :)

I saw one of these in my local dollhouse shop. It is really cool. My friend was so enthralled by it, she made it her personal mission to see to it that my house gets lit up. Originally, she was disappointed that I refused to wire the dollhouse, so she was very excited to discover these lights.

I didn't buy any "clapper" ones, but I like the lights I bought. One of them is a bit dim, so I may have to change the battery soon. My only problem is that for the hanging lights the magnets are hard to glue on the ceiling. I have to use a glue gun, but for one light, the magnet fell after a short period of time. I am re-gluing it tonight.

My only problem is that for the hanging lights the magnets are hard to glue on the ceiling. I have to use a glue gun, but for one light, the magnet fell after a short period of time. I am re-gluing it tonight.

I have only had success with E6000 for holding those pesky things up and I have tried everything.

I have only had success with E6000 for holding those pesky things up and I have tried everything.

Thank you Selkie, because I really need a hug right now. I simply cannot believe how talented everyone on this site is, yet it seems like I am unable to glue a magnet to a flat service. Yes, I know that flat service is a ceiling and not a floor, which means it defies gravity, but even so, my glue gun is totally inefficient tonight - or at least its operator is. Now that I know you had problems gluing these "pesky things" too, I don't feel so bad. I still need a hug, but at least I know its not so personal.

Glue and I never had a good relationship, and it's surprising I passed art in grade school. In kindergarten I got more library paste on my fingers than on my projects, and in eigth grade, I got really dizzy after I caught I whiff of Duco cement. But I really thought I had these LED battery-operated magnetic ceiling lights down pat after someone on this site suggested a glue gun.

The first light (which is the heaviest) gave me no problems. The second light I glued went up just fine, but recently fell, and I glued a third light the other night, and so far, it is still holding. However, for some reason, I cannot re-glue the second light.

So maybe I will try the E-6000 glue. I also heard that one company manufactures LED lights with a backing that can be peeled off before adhering it to the ceiling. (Hopefully the backing is on the battery and not the light itself.) Does anyone know what this company is and if that method is effective? - Also, any other suggestions would be appreciated, as well as some mental or electronic hugs.