Van Buren progress.

Erick

I made a gallery a while back and have been posting pictures whenever progress is made. Today I posted a bit I am really proud of. I wanted the attic space to look like an unfinished attic like I grew up with. A few hundred Popsicle sticks and a razor saw later and it's beginning to look like I wanted it too. Once it's done I'll stain it, sand it a bit to age it and it should be done.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...i&img=15347

Your Van Buren is shaping up so nicely. I love your attic work. I have the Van buren kit and according to my oldest DGD, it should be the next one to go on the work table. She wants an studio/apartment combo made from it. So I will be following your progress for any hints and trouble spots.

I have the Van buren kit and according to my oldest DGD, it should be the next one to go on the work table. She wants an studio/apartment combo made from it.
I hope you're still going to build it the way you showed me.
The only part I didn't like about the kit as delivered were the stairs, they just look too big for the house.
That's when you bash smaller ones.

The stuff I'm using to age the wood is Steel wool and Vinegar left overnight aka 'bug juice'. I discovered the hard way not to keep it in a tightly corked bottle too :thumb:

I should have some more pictures of the stairs tonight too.

I discovered the hard way not to keep it in a tightly corked bottle too
Oops. I read either to poke holes in the lid with a nail or to wrap a rag over the top & secure it with a rubberband until the vinegar dssolves the steel wool. I think I like the isopropyl alcohol & India ink, it's not inclined to blow up on me.

You are most likely one of the most creative users of craft sticks in the world! I planned to do something similar with the attic in the dreaded Heritage rehab. It is too low for rooms and the sticks would cover all the drips of hot glue used by the origional builder on the shingles. I am not removing them because there is no glue on the outside, they are stuck fast and I truly hate shingling. I would usually us a printie I made from a photograph of bare wood strips and just add wooden braces but I am inspired so I am going to use skinny sticks. I like the stairs too!