**Anything Goes Winter Contest**

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MiniMadWoman = Entry # 6 Now that is one Awesome Moosehead over the fireplace! The fireplace is impressive too! The exterior also is just gorgeous! I love the reindeer and the moose outside but most of all the really warm feeling of how the place looks. Makes me want to curl up with a cup of cocoa  Cold outside but warm inside!

Thank you David! I'm sure if you knocked on the door, the Clause's would invite you in for cocoa!! :)

Catcolorado =entry #8 Cat - my sis and I have been debating how the quilt was made in your scene - is it a printie? It sure looks cozy! I love what you did! It's a super great way to get non miniaturists (yet) interrested in miniatures! And I bet it looked great on your tree too! Where is everyone getting those tiny swags? What a great warm scene.

Thanks David! I loved your entry, you made the elf didn't you? I thought the elf was very well done, he looked just like I think a Christmas elf should :)

The quilt was made using Tracy's tips for printing on a paper towel. I used the wrong kind of towel so I did some very simple running stitches around the border to keep it from coming apart. You can find the tiny garlands at Hobby Lobby for about $2 to $3 regular price. You get tons of it, enough for many projects. I have the pine looking stuff and a holly type.

Thanks David!  I loved your entry, you made the elf didn't you?  I thought the elf was very well done, he looked just like I think a Christmas elf should :)

The quilt was made using Tracy's tips for printing on a paper towel.  I used the wrong kind of towel so I did some very simple running stitches around the border to keep it from coming apart.  You can find the tiny garlands at Hobby Lobby for about $2 to $3  regular price.  You get tons of it, enough for many projects.  I have the pine looking stuff and a holly type.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Cat,

No, unfortunately the elf wasn't made by me - I wish! LOL :) - well maybe someday I'll get that good. It was made by Margene Crossan - that's why the bottoms of his little feet are white instead of painted - it's where she signed and numbered him and I didn't want to cover that up. The Santa though was made by me :D We also don't have any Hobby Lobby's around here - they sound like great places to get things! Thanks for the info on papertowel printie quilt - I'm definitely going to have to try making one of those - Yours turned out awesome! as did your whole scene :lol:

-David

Thank you so much hydroped! The house is the glencroft.  I just love that house.  The tree skirt is a circle of white felt with fabric paints on it. ( like puff paints) I think it is done but only time will tell.  :)  I almost did not enter because I have been working on it for awhile but she said with alittle encoragement I am glad I did.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ShakyShaky,

Wow - fabric paints are the last thing I would have guessed! I remember my mom many years ago using fabric paints on tee-shirts and tennis shoes. I guess fabric paints have come a long way since then! I can't believe you almost didn't enter :) - I'm so glad you did! ! :lol: What a beautiful scene!

-David

I don't know where everyone is finding these great garlands in mini 

David:

You're very thoughtful to leave comments on all of the entries. I can't tell you how much I appreciated hearing your thoughts on my entry.

I got my garland and wreath from ebay - Petitepatchwork. She also did the Christmas stockings.

Yesterday afternoon I spent a couple of hours trying to sew something ... hmmm .... didn't look like the idea that was in my head. Oh well, back to the drawing board.

I loved your entry. The candycane pole between the first and second floors was a marvelous idea. The Santa Claus you made is awesome. I've still got to accomplish actually making something. I'm just not sure what I'd be able to make. So far my efforts turn up zilch ... I can decorate and arrange, but I don't know how to make anything.

I hope that everyone involved in the February Swap isn't worried now that I've admitted that I don't know how to make anything.....but, I've got a back up plan!! LOL

Susanne

I loved your entry.  The candycane pole between the first and second floors was a marvelous idea.  The Santa Claus you made is awesome.  I've still got to accomplish actually making something.  I'm just not sure what I'd be able to make.  So far my efforts turn up zilch ... I can decorate and arrange, but I don't know how to make anything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Susanne,

I'm sure you'll do fine in the February swap. You know I started in minis thinking I would just make character figures - even though I had no idea what I was getting into - my first attempts were terrible! but fun :) That's all that matters that you have fun! There is a lot to be said too for being able to arrange things. I'm organizationally challenged myself and that goes for decorating too! As far as not knowing how to make things - that's what forums are for :) to ask lots of questions and try out new things with a group of great folks like we have here (says the man who's been promising for a year now that he'd try to electrify something and is still procrastinating) :D It took me a whole year just to get up enough nerve to try putting a house kit together - I'm such a scaredy cat! So don't worry about not knowing how to do things just ask any question at all and if someone knows how to do it I know you'll get lots of tips and moral support :lol:

-David

Woohoo!! Congrats Winners!  :)  What a fun contest this was!  Ever single entry was fun to look to at - What a great way to share our work  :)

-David

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, ditto....what he said...Y'all have fun with your new projects!!!

(Dollhousegirl you're getting a house that's on my wish list! WTG)

Doe

Hydroped I ment to add earlier that I really liked your entry too. :)  The candycane was an insperation. I am gad you were ble to find a use for your elf.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks ShakyShaky (and everyone else who mentioned the candy cane too!) - That house changed direction so many times I wasn't sure where I was going with it lol :) I was originally going to have a slide for the elves to slide the presents down from the workshop upstairs.. but then I found Santa's Cane.. so he had to have a fireplace.. and I didn't want the presents sliding into the fire! :lol: So I moved the stairway opening to the corner and put in a pole. I'm really glad to find a place for my elf to live too - poor guy has been sitting on a shelf for a year, and even was up for sale for a month before I found the perfect place for him to live :D

-David

This is a Quick FYI:

I am still waiting on more than half of the addresses. Please send them to me as soon as Possible. We would like to ship them out together at the same time ASAP. Please send a PM to me so that I can send the addresses to appropriate person. If you miss the first shipping, your prize can be delayed.

I will send an email to those I still have not heard from. Everyone else, Thank you for responding so quickly!! It helps everything runs smoothly.

A big congratulation to all the winners, the entries were astonishing and I truly had such a hard time to decide on just one favourite!

I must also add that I found the scenes very inspirational and might pinch an idea or two for my own Santa's cottage when I get round to the actual decorating of it.

Hugs

My congratulations to the winners!  Thank you all for participating and special thanks to our judges!  I hope we can do this again next year!

Thanks again!

Dean

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be a lot of fun!!!

Hugs

Are we going to find out which pic was the forum favorite?

Sorry for the delay on this. I think that there was some confusion on how to vote on the forum favorite. I was hoping to use the rating system that is to the right top hand side of the Gallery picture.

rate.gif

I also didn't bother to mention that when people vote, they should vote on the first picture labeled "A". Another thing I left out is that the first, second and third prize winners would not be eligible to win the forum favorite. This coupled with the fact that all the entries were so outstanding led me to the decision that everyone was a winner!

I went through and checked the ratings and going solely by the picture labeled "A", shalean had the highest rated project with an average of 4.43. Since shalean won second place, the forum favorite would have gone to sunnyray who had an average of 4.40. All the entries scored within a point of each other… they were all forum favorites!

I would like to mention here that the rating system is available in all the Galleries and the Blogs too. It’s a fun way to give/get feedback, so when your browsing around, don’t forget to pick a number and rate it!

Thanks again to all of you who participated in this contest (that means those of you who voted too)!

Dean

My Orchid arrived today!  Yipeee!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine arrived today too - what a beautiful kit. I think it will go together beautifully! I'm already getting ideas for wall paper :lol: Thanks Dean, Lisa and all the folks at Greenleaf.

-David