My first Dollhouse, built by my father ...

KathieB

We've been on the south side of Chicago this weekend, visiting some of Lloyd's relatives and some of mine. At my niece's house, I spotted the dollhouse that my dad made for sister Helen and me when we were kids. I thought it had perished a very long time ago. My niece has given it back to me, to take home and refurbish and refurnish. We'll load it into the van tomorrow and head home to Marshall with it. I'll post photos in a few days, but for now I just had to share ... it's like finding a long-lost friend!

Do you know what house it is? Can't wait to see some pics! You will surely refurbish it into a showplace.

We're home! I've posted photos in a new gallery album. See it HERE.

Here's a tease -- it's a removable wall. When it's in place, the house is closed up. Cool touch, Dad!

The rooms are huge ... the house is 24" deep and 36" wide, with 10" ceilings. It was built from plans, I believe, not a kit. If anyone recognizes the plan, I'd love to know what it is.

This is just too neat!! :D

What a surprise that must have been to see the "old friend" after all these years! And now you have it. Like a dream come true? And has good memories for you too!

Wolfie

Dream come true hits it right on the head, Gina. I'd been thinking about this house ever since I got busy with minis more than a year ago. The niece and grandnieces are well grown now, so I figured it was long gone.

Thanks, Heidi ... so far, no plans. I'm still in shock, trying to wrap my head around the fact that it is HERE, under my roof, and I can touch it whenever I want to!

First order of business is cleaning. It's been in a garage for a few years and had a musty smell, which has pretty much gone already. I don't think the wallpaper is salvagable, and it needs repainting. I'm amazed that all of the real glass windows have survived.

How wonderful for you. I can just see you petting it everytime you pass it and your eyes straying to it even after you've sat down. If your Dad didn't sign it, you maybe can put his initials in or on it somewhere.

Very nice of the neice to let you have it.

How wonderful for you. I can just see you petting it everytime you pass it and your eyes straying to it even after you've sat down. If your Dad didn't sign it, you maybe can put his initials in or on it somewhere.

Very nice of the neice to let you have it.

Yup. I'm planning to make a little photo album to go with it. I wish I could find a photo of it when my sis and I played with it, but neither of us recalls ever having seen one.

I have it on loan for rehab. It's going back to my niece when it's finished. <looking around to see who's listening and whispering: I haven't told her that dollhouses are hardly ever "finished"> :D

She isn't married yet or even going steady. By the time she has kids to play with it, I'll probably be ready to give it up.

he isn't married yet or even going steady. By the time she has kids to play with it, I'll probably be ready to give it up.
By then she may, with any luck, have forgotten all about it!