melva

Hi,

This is so much fun and so interesting. I'm a new member to this forum and I really like this one! When I started filling out my profile I noted that I had not built a dollhouse because the 2 that I have started (about 5 years ago), have collected so much dust, when will I ever finish them! The fact that I rarely work on them does not keep me from buying things for my houses (1 is for my daughter and 1 is mine) I have enough furniture for 2 more houses and I continue to go to mininature shows and buy more things. But my longest obession was to find a car the correct scale and have it sitting in my driveway of my Beacon Hill. Now that I have found my car :D this has given me new incentive to finish at least my house.

I also forgot that I did finish one dollhouse for my mother a couple of years ago. I think it's called Victoria's Farmhouse. We ran a marathon and put it together in 2 weeks over 2 years. I was determined to finish it as my mother lives far from me and she couldn't do it by herself. At least her house is complete. And it's so cute! :wub:

Happy Miniaturing,

Melva

welcome.gifto the forum, Melva.
I had not built a dollhouse because the 2 that I have started (about 5 years ago), have collected so much dust, when will I ever finish them!
If we cannot light a match under your butt to motivate you to get cracking on those houses, at least you can become so inspired by some of what you see to go ahead on your own. We're all here to help, you know. I built my first kit over 3 1/2 years while going to nursingschool full time & working part time, so GO FOR IT! Which two half-built houses are sadly gathering the dust of neglect? Do you make any of your minis?

Hello and welcome to the forum Melva. You should be able to receive lots of inspiration on the site. The Beacon Hill is a beautiful house, is this one of the unfinished ones?

hello, and welcome!

love the avatar photo, and hearing about your gradual builds. you've come to the right place for inspiration, information and lots of generous, talented people. :D

so, there are two in the wings. might you tell us their names and your plans for them?

:wub:

Hi Melva, and welcome! :wub: As you can see, we're very curious about your "in-progress" houses. You mentioned one was a Beacon Hill (beautiful house), but what is the other? Does your daughter show an interest? I think it's wonderful when family members team up and share this hobby. (The word "hobby" really doesn't do our passion/obsession justice, but I suppose it is a correct word to use.)

Hi and :wub: Melva! When I first joined I had two houses started and none completed as well. Now I have 2 completed and a third that just needs interior trim and landscaping as well as three other projects started. This forum is a great motivator to get work done. I hope you enjoy it! I can't wait to see pictures of your houses. Where did you find a car to scale?

:D

Where did you find a car to scale?
I read somewhere that 1:12 cars actually look too large with 1:12 scale dhs, and that 1:18 scale vehicles actually look better. DH & I also collect vintage cars in 1:18 & 1:24 scale, so I'll see how bad it looks with 1:24 car when I finally build my 1:24 kits.

Welcome to the forum!

Im so glad you joined us!

so you have a Beacon Hill for youself and another house for your daughter.

I hope she isnt like mine and would rather you just built it. :wub:

which house do you have for her? I look forward to seeing your progress!

lots of ideas around here to help you get motivated!

Happy Building!

nutti :D

welcome.gifto the forum, Melva.If we cannot light a match under your butt to motivate you to get cracking on those houses, at least you can become so inspired by some of what you see to go ahead on your own. We're all here to help, you know. I built my first kit over 3 1/2 years while going to nursingschool full time & working part time, so GO FOR IT! Which two half-built houses are sadly gathering the dust of neglect? Do you make any of your minis?

Hi Havanaholly,

The match has definitely been lit! :yes: You're right looking at everyone's galleries has really got me wanting to finish at least one house. My daughters house is the one that's in worst shape. It has junk piled on top of it. It needs to be cleaned off before I can even see it! I have made some pieces from scratch a bed and a table. I have plans ( I actually sketched them out already)on making a wall unit for the living room. With all the inspiration I get from this site, I know my house will be finished this year.

Melva

Welcome to the forum!

Im so glad you joined us!

so you have a Beacon Hill for youself and another house for your daughter.

I hope she isnt like mine and would rather you just built it. :yes:

which house do you have for her? I look forward to seeing your progress!

lots of ideas around here to help you get motivated!

Happy Building!

nutti ;)

I have taken soooooo long to work on her house she has sadly lost interest. She still looks at every now and then and tell's me it won't get finished until she's out of college. She's now in the 10th grade! I of course have hope it will get done.

Melva

Hi

My Beacon Hill was a floor model. That had been sitting on the shelf for many, many years at an art store. It was on sale and I had to have it! I asked the salesperson to take it down so I could see it because I wouldn't be able to return it. In my rose colored glasses the house was just spectacular! I didn't notice that there were globs on glue everywhere, strings of rubber cement( I thought they were spider webs) the floors weren't level, the siding was put on crooked, the list goes on. So I realized I had purchased a real fixer upper! But I still like her. My goal is to make the interior modern.

My problem is I can't make anything simple which is why it has taken me so long to get these finished! My daughter's house is Victoria's Farmhouse. Needless to say I should have just made a house from scratch because I made so many changes it wasn't worth buying the kit! :yes:

I rehabbed a house that had been begun and was glued & puttied & painted to the point that the kinds of chemicals that disagree with me might have worked to get it apart, if the house could have survived them, but I wound up doing a cosmetic overhaul and donating the (improved) house to charity. If the glue's in globs it may be hot glue, which can be softened with a blow-dryer and scraped off. The rubber cement strings can be rolled together into a ball and used to remove the rest of the rubber cement. You may need a thin, flexible blade to wiggle between pieces rubber cemented together to pry them apart and then "scrub" the residue off with your rubber cement ball, but it can be done. You can also pry or pop the siding off and there are lots of things that may be used for siding as well as other treatments. Or you can offer it to Greg or one of our other members who's a whiz at rehabbing.

When you get around to completing your daughter's house you can enlist her to help you to restore her interest, she certainly sounds old enough to hop in and do a lot of her own work on it. One of our members is 17 and we have younger members than that. If she is truly not interested, finish it up for yourself. Many of us have (and play with, at our respective ages) more than one house (as you read the different forums you'll run across some threads on this subject).

Hi there and welcome!

If you look in my gallery, you will see I have a Duracraft Marquam Hill Mansion. It was a floor model at my local AC Moore.

I had to break it apart in the parking lot (the guys looked at me like I was crazy) so that I could fit it in the car.

If I could do THAT to a house..and bring it back to life..You can do it too!

Get out the feather duster and get cracking! We are all here to help you out when you need it.

Thanks for the tips. I am working on removing the glue. I've allready replaced the siding and unfortunately the windows. She is looking so much better. It's a lot of work but when I actually work on the house I do so enjoy it.

Melva

She's now in the 10th grade

that is the grade my daughter is in. her house is the MHM and I have noo idea when it will get finished.

but theres always "someday"

nutti :groucho:

Welcome from another new member! I tend to go in stages with my houses. I will work non-stop for a week and then not touch it for weeks or months. I teach school, so it is easier to get a working groove when I am on breaks. I do not want to make a big mess on a weekend and leave it for a week.

I tend to go in stages with my houses. I will work non-stop for a week and then not touch it for weeks or months.
I did that building my first kit, as I was working & attending nursing school full-time.