Finished my potting shed roombox!

rbytsdy

Hi folks, I told hubby I would finish up the potting shed roombox today so he could box it up and send it-- it is my Mother's Day gift this year, and although I can sit around for a few more weeks (months?) and think of things to do to it, I had better call it a project... Well I need to put the picture hanging hardware on the back, but that is it:

The photos on the top shelf of the potting bench are all of Mom's grandchildren gardening, and the one on the second shelf is a reduced photo of a portrait of her mother who was an avid and excellent gardener. I made the bench out of balsa wood scraps, and dirty-washed it a couple times. The glads are from glad tutorial. The other flowers are some of my own design-- I don't know what kind they are! The walls are from egg carton, with joint compound applied liberally (thanks, havanaholly!). The floor is paperclay.

The hanging pot is the cap to a lotion bottle, painted and strung up with old necklace chain. The seed packets are printies from many sites that I can't remember. The little cheapy accessories (shovel, watering can, tub, trowel, scissors, Hyponex) are from Dollhouse Collectibles, as are the Reutters vases which were the highest dollar items in this project.

The soil is old cherry tea that had been sitting around in the fridge for years-- works slick, smells great! For all the plants, I put a wee ball of paperclay in the bottom of the pot for some bulk, then poured glue over it and then the "soil", and then pushed the stems down into the whole mess. Worked pretty well. I made all the flowers out of tissue paper and coffee filters (though the vine and the hanging plant came from a bought item).

The birds are a bit big for the scale but that is OK. I got some rattan and fiddled around for a while trying to make a nest but I finally gave up on that! One has to draw a line somewhere... I spent a couple hours researching the awning window before I finally came up with a design I liked, and put it together from balsa wood scraps. The roof is made of cardboard covered over with stained craft sticks and shingles left over from the Lily.

The trellis, I put together out of some scrap balsa wood, and dirty-washed it. The roses are based on mini picotee begonia tutorial and SusannaT's rose tutorial.

I got the frame and the wooden box that formed the roombox from a local thrift store. Sorry for such a long post-- I am tickled that I got it done in time, though!

Tried alot of new things.

and to me that is the best part of doing projects like this!

it looks wonderful!

I love the stone work that you did.!

everything came together soo nicely...if she doesnt know its coming she will be blown away by the love and thoughtfulness you put into it!

JOB WELL DONE! :whistle:

nutti :wave:

Hi nutti, thanks for your kind words! Well I don't think she reads this forum so no, I don't imagine she knows it's coming! She is big on thrift stores so she will get a kick out of knowing that I got the base parts from thrift stores, too... :whistle:

Your potting shed is lovely. Aren't roomboxes just grand? It is almot like instant gratification. Although it isn't actually 'instant', roomboxes are a tad quicker to do than an entire house. It allows you to focus on one theme in one area and really let your creativity come out. My oldest sister received her roombox from me this past week and she told me she cried everytime she unwrapped a piece of it. Great job on your roombox and I hope Mom loves it!

What a great project and one that came from the heart you can see that :whistle:

Thanks so much for sharing your eye candy with us!!

You will have to let us know what mom said after she opens it.

It is looking fantastic and I know that your mother will appreciate all the work and thoughts that have been put into this project!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Hugs

Your potting shed is lovely. Aren't roomboxes just grand? It is almot like instant gratification. Although it isn't actually 'instant', roomboxes are a tad quicker to do than an entire house. It allows you to focus on one theme in one area and really let your creativity come out. My oldest sister received her roombox from me this past week and she told me she cried everytime she unwrapped a piece of it. Great job on your roombox and I hope Mom loves it!

Thanks TinyJudi and folks-- like you said, it wasn't actually "instant" (I started about a month or so ago, and pushing hard ever since), but I did enjoy working on something with a shorter timeline than half a year, which was how long it took me to finish the Lily, and how long my Orchid is going to end up taking. My Pierce is still in the box, and I anticipate the better part of a year for that one.

The focus, I really liked. Hubby pointed out several times that a little person could not actually fit into the scene, but in my opinion that is not the point...!

I like this roombox concept-- I am already thinking of what I can make next. Perhaps a mini kitchen for my sister-in-law, who is one of the best cooks I have ever met...? A little study/library for my dad the scholar? A music room for my other sister-in-law the accomplished organist? This has got me thinking now...!

I love it. It looks so nice and all the personal touches will WOW any mother. I admire your skill in making the flowers they are all so pretty. Give yourself a big pat on the back for this one.

A music room for my other sister-in-law the accomplished organist?
DH's mom began taking organ lessons a few years ago, so one year for Christmas I made her a roombox in an ornamental birdcage from Big Lots! with a plywood floor and the Chrysnbon organ in it. I made her a vase of mini silk roses from a carved bead, and one of my chainstitched "braided" rugs and a doll to sit & play the organ.

that is absolutely wonderful!! your mother will be so pleased, and proud. :wave:

congratulations on a beautiful job!