Newbie Experiment, so far so good

NannaMc

I have put the final coat of varnish on the strip flooring that I cut from the veneer strips and it has worked very well. It hasn't buckled or warped, so I think it should be fine when I glue it to the floor. It didn't take as long as I thought it would and it sanded and stained easily. I used the floor varnish that was used on our house floors and am now wondering if it might be too shiny and if I should buff it down a bit.post-1625-1175665608_thumb.jpg

Shirley

I like the super shiny glow! It reminds me of the oak flooring I had in my last real house. They just glowed, and everybody just raved about them. You did an excellent job, and I don't beleive nothing is too flamboyant for a dollhouse. Above all else, it MUST stand out! I like them just the way they look in the pic. Thanks for sharing!

I personaly like a high gloss or shine to floors! it sets off the furniture IMHO

but now if its a haunted house Id have to tone it down some!

looks good!

so your experiment was succsesful!

good for you!

nutti :wave:

Great job. Personally, I think if you're going through the trouble to do a wood floor, you need to varnish the heck out of it!! "Too shiney" is not a word in my vocabulary! So I think you did just fine.

Thank you everyone, I too love shiny floors, but I wasn't sure about in a doll house. I really enjoyed building this floor, as it was easy to correct mistakes and didn't cost a great deal. Bec, I will have to learn how to use quotes, but yes, this is the veneer edging that you iron onto the edges of plywood, etc. The one I used was beech as I found the oak that I had splintered and split when I was cutting it.

It is so great to have this forum and the kindly folks who always answer my questions. Since I finally have a good internet connection, I will try to be more of a poster than a lurker. :shifty:

Shirley

Bec and Cory, I am really going to have to figure out how to do quotes, but for now. Since I am a real newbie, I didn't know any better and was unable to find any veneer sheets unless through the internet. I had a roll of oak in my work drawer and thought this might work. It didn't, it splintered and broke. Next stop Home Depot where I got a 50 foot roll for around $10.00. I think I said earlier that it is Beech, but I was WRONG, it's Birch. I cut it in 12 inch strips with the miter box, and then marked it into 1/4's. You have to gently roll it in the opposite direction so it will lie flat. It will slip with an ordinary straight edge (not enough Wheaties), but DH has a heavy straight edge and I cut them with a fine craft knife. I had to practice a little bit, but actually ruined very few. I then just ironed them onto a stretched brown paper. It worked great for me, as, if it was a little crooked, just reheat, straighten and press. The reason I was concerned about the gloss is that the varnish I used is for house and gym floors and I just used what we had. Thanks to all the good advice, I am going to leave them looking so shiny that they look wet. Hard to get a picture without a glare.

Shirley

Wow! The floor is lovely. I wouldn't even bother to reduce the shine...once you get furniture and rugs and such in there, you won't notice it! But you will notice the floor! Great job!

Wolfie

how to do quotes,
Shirley, to quote from another post you can click on "quote" in the lower right of the dialog box you want to quote from and when the reply box opens you can delete the parts you don't want to quote. My personal method (since I usually use "fast reply") is to click on the text I want to quote and drag to highlight the part I want to quote and then right-click and "copy" it. When I open the "fast reply" box I right-click in the box to paste the text I'm quoting, I highlight it again and then click the "Wrap in quote tags" icon (the balloon with lines) and when the post appears the quote is in this neat little box.