Dachshund Rug

prariegurl

Finished another item for the room box! I wanted a dachshund theme rug, but had no luck finding a kit or pattern. Then I found this real life sized Claire Murray rug on the web. So I bought some weaver's cloth, a transfer pencil and floss. I traced the design, and here is my version of the Claire Murray rug, in miniature!

post-306-1175392769_thumb.jpg

post-306-1175392786_thumb.jpg

:groucho: LOVE it!!!! Please do tell me more about how you did that, I like the sound of it and the outcome, just perfect!

Thanks for sharing!

Hugs

:groucho: LOVE it!!!! Please do tell me more about how you did that,

There isn't much to tell, really. It was very easy.

I searched the internet for a dachshund rug pattern or, kit. Couldn't find a thing in miniature, so I did a google search in hopes that I would get lucky, and maybe find a real life pattern I could adapt to miniature. I didn't find any needlepoint patterns I liked, but a link to this Claire Murray hooked rug came up during my search.

I remembered that needlepunch rugs look like hooked rugs in miniture. I have the single thread needlepunch on hand, just never used it. Also, I knew that there were iron on transfer pens and pencils available, so I printed a picture of the rug, off I went to Joann Fabrics for an iron on transfer pencil, weavers cloth, and embroidery floss.

At home, I laid a piece of computer paper over the rug pic that I had printed, and traced with the iron on transfer pencil. I have a glass top table, so I set a light under the table and had it shine through the papers from underneath. This made tracing much easier!

After ironing the design on the weaver's cloth, I was ready to go! I placed the cloth in the embroidery hoop and punched away. I kept my picture close at hand to make sure my design stayed on track. Printing the pic was handy, I used it to select floss, trace my design, and while working.

I made mistakes, mainly punching too close, but my rug didn't draw or pucker, so I was very lucky.

When the punching was finished, I trimmed the edges to about 1/2, folded them under, and pressed. I cut some iron on interfacing a smidge smaller than the rug, and ironed it on the back. I whipped stitched the rug edges so the white edge of the cloth would not show.

And that's it!

I just love the rug. Makes me want to make one of a Border Collie. Thanks for the tips. I also have the punch needle but it is just another one of those things I did not find the time to use yet.

Very very nice and fun to do too!! I bought a hunk of that weavers cloth and now its going to get lots of dust on it after trying hardanger. I've been using 22 hardanger with 3 strands and it's so much more fuller and the spacing of the stitches is so much easier and you can't see the back of the carpet through the front.