New Member - Starting with Pierce

Molly

Good evening. I am a new member; new to dollhouses, new to this type of forum. I've started building the Pierce and love it. It is a tad overwhelming with all the choices. Any clues on applying wallpaper/paper? Anyone tried using stained glass for windows rather than the plastic? LOVE IT already.

hello, glad you found the forums!

the house is wonderful, and i think you're right. a stained glass look will suit it nicely!

looking forward hearing more from you. :yikes:

Good evening. I am a new member; new to dollhouses, new to this type of forum. I've started building the Pierce and love it. It is a tad overwhelming with all the choices. Any clues on applying wallpaper/paper? Anyone tried using stained glass for windows rather than the plastic? LOVE IT already.

:yikes: to the forum, and our "little" internet family, Deb. There are nearly as many suggestions for applying wallpaper as there are members, so I'll give you mine & I'm sure others will share theirs, and then you can pick & choose. I buy premixed wallpaper paste in the tub at the hardware store and apply it with a 1" paintbrush and smooth it with my fingers and a damp rag. I also have a small wooden brayer (made for applying wallpaper border strips) to get the bubbles out.

My very first building team house was the Arthur, and for whatever reason one of the plastic window inserts was missing, so I found a piece of flat acetate from some packaging and I drew around the window opening onto a piece of paper, drew a simple "cartoon" of the design I wanted in the window and taped the acetate over the drawing. I use acrylic paint straiht from the tube to paint my various minis and I used the black without diluting it at all to make my leadlines. I used extender to thin the colors to the consistency of watercolors without losing color vibrance to fill the spaces. You can see the results in havanaholly's last Arthur blog entry.

A lot of folks start out building the Pierce, Garfield or Beacon Hill (I began with an all-wood San Fanciscan by Dura-Craft). Enjoy, have fun and ask questions. My primary suggestion is that any technique you want to try, experiment first on scraps.

Hi Molly,

first of all welcome here.

Secondly I strongly recommend walpapering before putting your Pierce together, I myself did it the other way round and it was very difficult then.

Hello and a belated :shaun: to the forum Deb! I know you will have a lot of fun building the Pierce and that you will get a lot of help from the ones who has allready built it!

Mini-hugs