Why is no one every in live chat

Dan

If you want to chat, check the box at the bottom of the forum to see who's online and PM them to see if anyone has a few minutes to join you. Do give them time to notic they have a PM and then to get in, if they're able to join you. Some of us are on dialup and it takes quite a while for the chatroom to load for us. I also check the bottom of the screen when I come online to see if anyone's already in chat.

Yeah I went there for the first time the other day, and I was the only one there, too. Of course, it was 1:00 in the morning, so I thought that might have something to do with the fact that no one else was there :wave:

Thanks for the tips Holly. You are useful once again!!

Thanks for the tips Holly. You are useful once again!
Ed_Cal used to PM us when he wanted to chat. I open another window for the chatroom (rightclick on "the Greenleaf miniature community") and read the forum until the "doorbell" rings that someone else has entered the chatroom. After reading Dan's post I went in while I was reading posts and someone else joined me and we had a very nice chat. I don't usually have a lot of time to just sit and chat, and by 0100 I'm rarely around!lol But it's a great way to "meet" other members in more detail.

I don't "do" chat. With a dialup phone, it takes too long to load, and by the time my comment gets posted, the rest of the folks in chat are on 3 other topics.. :wave:

I've never tried it here, but on other forums, it seems to work best if someone posts something like: "I'll be in chat at 2 p.m. central time; anyone want to join me?" and then folks plan for it.

The few times I have been in there hasn't been anyone in there. One time I stayed in and someone came in, but I had another screen up and almost missed her completely since it doesn't let you know when someone is talking to you with a sound or flash.

I often sign into the chat room when I come here. I open a separate window for it. I find that the time when most people appear is midnight eastern time. Remember that all it takes is one to start and others will follow usually. I have talked to several people who don't want to be the first to sign in to live chat and wait for someone else to go there first. So if you can, maybe do like was said earlier and post that you will be there at a particular time.

I didnt know there was a Chat room.
At the top of the page under the GL logo there's a toolbar with "live Chat the third button from the left. If I have a block of time I'm going to be on without fear of DH wanting to use the 'puter, I check to see who all is online here & rightclick "The Greenleaf Miniature Community" and open the forum in a new window and use it to go to the chatroom. Then I can read the forum and if someone else enters the chatroom I hear the doorbell to let me know. You can also PM the folks online to invite them to come chat with you.

I don't "do" chat. With a dialup phone, it takes too long to load, and by the time my comment gets posted, the rest of the folks in chat are on 3 other topics.. :whistle:

I've never tried it here, but on other forums, it seems to work best if someone posts something like: "I'll be in chat at 2 p.m. central time; anyone want to join me?" and then folks plan for it.

That is odd uppitycats, because I have dialup and chatrooms are about the ONLY thing that are as fast as everyone else's. It takes longer for dial up connections to OPEN the chatroom, but once in there your responses should show up as fast as anyone else's. If you have found that your responses show up slow, that is usually an indicator that the chatroom itself is on a slow server, not your own connection. Once you are connected your responses and the rate in which you get them from others should be about the same for all regardless of connection.

That is odd uppitycats, because I have dialup and chatrooms are about the ONLY thing that are as fast as everyone else's. It takes longer for dial up connections to OPEN the chatroom, but once in there your responses should show up as fast as anyone else's. If you have found that your responses show up slow, that is usually an indicator that the chatroom itself is on a slow server, not your own connection. Once you are connected your responses and the rate in which you get them from others should be about the same for all regardless of connection.

Oh really? I'll have to try it sometime, here. I know that in a couple of other forums where I hang out, it seems to take FOREVER. And then there are the young people that have this "special alphabet" they use, lots of shorthand, that I don't understand, either. Guess I'm just an old fogey! :whistle:

Ha ha uppitycats. YES many people use a lot of abbreviations in chatrooms! I doubt you'd have that big of an issue here tho. You are right it is usally the younger ones...I have been in many chats and pretty used to the lingo but it can get confusing especially if the convo is moving fast.

maybe we can post a chat language key on here somewhere HEEHEE

The main ones are simply LOL, ROFLMBO, BRB, and AFK (laughing out loud, rolling on the floor laughing my butt off, be right back and away from keyboard, but you probably knew those!)

since it doesn't let you know when someone is talking to you with a sound or flash.

if you click on the options at the top of the page you can turn these features on.

I have mine set for a doorbell when someone enters and a beep when someone writes a msg.

and than of course do check the sound to make sure it is on :whistle:

nutti :yes:

• 5 weeks later...
I thought maybe Greenleaf employees would be there.
The chatroom is for us members, and other than Dean & Dragonfly I haven't seen any other GL employees who are also members. I have mentioned before that if you want to into the chatroom and no one is there, look toward the bottom of the forum front page to see who is online at the time and PM them to see who has time to join the chat with you. I'm on dialup so it takes the chatroom forever to load, so I don't go in very often.

We too are on dial-up and our server Blackfoot.net doesn't like chat rooms and when you get in, it shuts you down! I hate it, but they just don't like chat rooms. I'm really thrilled that it allows me to at least belong to lists......

Wolfie

• 1 month later...
:wave: My thoughts exactly there is never anyone there when I go into live chat. Remember my name and I will try to remember yours maybe we will meet up soon. I mostly go on line in the early to morning to the early noon like 10am to 1pm. We have to share the computer with 6 people here in my house hold lol.gggrinch6; cher

A couple of us are online in the morning between 7am-11am intermittently. I usually will put a shout out in Chit Chat to let others know I opened up a chatroom. If you dont see us there, just stay and wait, we will see you and pop on in.

I am not online in the evening but from what I have heard there is a party going on usually! LOL

Right now I am at work. Hoping the time goes fast so I can get out of here at 1. Then I will be home and in chat :wave:

and yes we do have quite a party going on at nite. And I am usually on about 6:30 am central time for a little bit

Bec

Well I have never got it fixed so I can chat at home...

parachat says it my firewall and I have added ports and turned it off and still nothing..

I can chat in other parachat rooms I tried it to see, for some reason it is this chat room..

any computer guru's out there??