victorian decorating

grazhina

As some of you may know, I've done a lot of research into old houses, how people lived in them and how they decorated them.

I decided publish some of my notes to a website, so if anyone wants to check up on some decorating tips, they can go read my notes, then go look at some pictures in my albums.

So far I've only published for 1850-70. My notes were originally just for me, and they're sort of rough. The 1850-70 ones I had tidied up a bit.

If you save the link, you can check back and see whenever I add more data. I'll be doing that whenever the mood strikes me. This weekend it's supposed to be pretty cold here in Maine. Lately the temperature in my studio has been hanging around 28 degrees Fahrenheit. It takes forever to warm it up to a bearable temerature, so in an effort to save on the electric bill, I'll be staying downstairs in my warm oil heated house. If the guys aren't hogging the computer, maybe I'll do a little more note polishing over the weekend.

VICTORIAN DECORATING

I love your information, Excellent work. I've saved your link. I also am interested in how people lived and decorated in the early 1800's as I also live in a house that is 200 years old in Maine. I'll be checking back to your information often. Thanx for doing all this footwork for us.

Yuck! the cold weather sounds just awful!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for sharing your blog! I read over part of it and it is VERY informative and has awesome information!

I enjoyed looking at your dollhouses again! I forgot what beautiful work you do!

Thanks for those pictures. I now have an idea what the age of the house we rent is. The laundry/craft room was at one time the kitchen and still has all the counters and cabnets that look very simular to the picture you have of the 1935 kitchen with the cabnets covering the entire wall.

Melissa

Grazhina,

Thanks for sharing your wealth of research & information! It's great & I I will definitely be refering back to it! A source for inspiration that I've used for how people lived in the Late Victorian & Edwardian eras is through antique magazines, such as the old "The Modern Priscilla," "The Ladies Home Journal," & "The Ladies World." They are also excellent resources and can often be found fairly cheap ($5 - $10).

Thanks again!

Rae

Grazhina, I almost got sort of lost within your information and have bookmarked your site so that I can come back to it soon, it made me have alittle "chat" with my Chantilly once again and she is definitley looking forward getting soem attention once again :ohyeah:

Thank you for sharing!

Hugs

I'm happy I was able to fill a definite need.

The old insomnia demon visited me last night, so I kept typing away. Today I'm sick and tired, really. Achey and sore throat and had a desire to drink ice cold Cokes. I've spent my afternoon making soups for DH, who also claims to be feeling unwell, and typing up some hand scrawled notes I took last summer that I had completely forgotten about.

I've got more info than you can shake a stick at and I bet you will all become authorities on the Victorian age and amaze all your friends and relatives.