Confession Time

NannaMc

Hello Everyone,

I received a Garfield kit at Christmas from my children. I have always been fascinated by anything miniature, so it was an ideal gift. I do furniture refinishing, helped with the restoration of our house, can sew almost anything that I care to do, but my dollhouse is still sitting in its' box. I have been reading the forums of everyone, looking at galleries and admiring, but I really don't know where to start. Everyone seems so helpful, I decided I would confess my fears, and perhaps someone will be kind enough to tell me what is right. Do you have to varnish, woodfill before you sand, etc, etc? I have enjoyed just sitting in and listening, but that isn't going to get my house started. Has anyone changed the stairway in the Garfield? I would like to.

Thank you for any advice.

Shirley

Welcome to the Neighborhood!! I am so happy you decided to join us and share your building process with us all. We have several people building (Or have built) the Garfield. There are stairs you can upgrade to. Try Miniatures.com this is the link to there stairs:

http://www.miniatures.com/hbs/global/Index....asp&C=2394

Hope this helps and I can't wait to see pictures!

When you click the link, there is one kit and the next page on that site has more staircases (Some preassembled :flowers: ) ;)

Welcome Shirley!!!

I am very slowly working on a Garfield also. Actually my 14 year old daughter and I are. Her Granny and Papaw got it for her for Christmas in 2005, That shows you how slowly we are going. :flowers:

I probably can't give you too much advice since I am new to this also. I kept the same staircase but am not very pleased on how it turned out.

I have been painting, staining and wallpapering as I go along. There are some very tight spots that would be extremely hard to get to after it is put together.

This makes it a bit harder cause you have so much thinking ahead but I think it will be worth in the end.

Good luck with your build and enjoy the process!!! ;) :):)

I think you just have to open the box and plunge in! :flowers: If you go here: http://community.webshots.com/user/uppitycats

and to my gallery on this Greenleaf site (there's a link to get to my gallery on the left, below my name) you'll see my accounting of my Garfield...and some nearly-finished pictures.

A first step...steps, really...is to cut out all the parts. I started by lining up several bags (I used plastic, but any sort will do) and just took each sheet, one by one. Labeled the bag, punched out (or cut out) each piece, labelled it with a soft lead pencil, and put it in the bag. That in itself took quite awhile, and while doing that I was able to kind of get a sense of what the piece looked like and where it might go.

Then yes, I did sand each piece, all the edges for sure, and the surfaces if they seemed at all rough. And sanded again as I got to that piece and knew where it would go, and how to get it there.

While the instructions suggest you shellac each piece, I didn't do that. After I had everything bagged, I went back to "Step One", sorted out those pieces, and laid them out on my work table in the order in which they appeared in the schematic, and started in. I did prime those pieces that I knew I would be painting later, and varnished those I knew I would be staining later...and left some of the rest until I was SURE I knew how I would treat them (and goofed in a couple of places, but it was my first time, so I didn't fuss too much about it.) Some folks don't bother to even do that until they've got it together, but as someone already noted, there are some rooms in the Garfield, particularly behind the staircase, that are nearly impossible to reach, once the house is constructed, so you have to plan ahead for those areas -- paint or wallpaper, or otherwise decorate, BEFORE you glue them all together.

Filling in with putty or wood fill or spackle comes later -- after you've fitted parts together, and found a few gaps here and there, or seams that aren't as tight as you might like.

I didn't change the staircase. In fact, I liked my staircases so well I eliminated a wall and build a bannister to show them off. I have to add some bannister yet to mine, but you'll see where a wall is "missing" between the "master bedroom" and the area around the staircase on the second floor.

But there are upgrades to the staircase you can buy (or build your own), upgraded windows (which are on my wish list!). Some Housework doors will work for both interior and exterior doors, but plan ahead if you're going to use these, as you'll need to do some adjusting of size, and it's MUCH easier to do when the walls are flat, than when they're already in place (which I found out the hard way!)

But you're a long way from that...the foundation is tricky, and will take you awhile, so go at it! And have fun! I think once you get started, you'll find yourself immersed in this craft.

I agree don't follow the directions to the letter. I put the windows on in the order they suggested and now am faced with excess glue that I need to get off..another story...not that bad...but keep them clean as long as possible.

Understand the directions and dryfit stuff, but you can hold off on glueing in some cases.

Paula

Hi ;)

The Garfield was my first build also and I must say it is very intimidating when you first open the box. I got mine for Christmas last year (2005) and didn't even open the box until April. But once I started I just could stop. This hobby is very addicting.

As was previously stated you don't have to follow the instructions to a "T". When I first started I inserted all the windows which I eventually removed because I decided to get the upgraded kit. Which ever you decide I would not put the windows in until most of the house is built and wallpapered and/or painted. Just makes it easier to work with. Also YES decorate (paint or wallpaper) the kitchen by the side door and the foyer if you are using the kit stairs. Once they are in you can't get to that part of the room very easily.

If you are going to upgrade your stairs I guess you need to decide that very early on because the stairs need to go in pretty early in the construction. I also eliminated the wall in the second story bedroom so that you could see into the hall there and the stairs. I just think it really opens up the second floor.

If you want to see pictures of my build you can go here.

Garfield

Good luck and have fun. Don't forget you can ask any questions as you go along because the people here are awesome and very knowledgeable. They really helped me :flowers:

Hi and :flowers: !

Each of us starts a house and builds a house differently. So the important thing is to figure out what will work for you. I usually start by building the shell and then stop to do the priming, staining, electrical tape, painting, wallpapering. But I have also tried priming first. The important thing to remember is only prime what you know will be painted or papered. You cannot stain if it is primed.

The important things to remember is to have fun, it is your house so you can do whatever you want, and take your time. Enjoy it!!

;)

Carrie

Just take out those pieces, pop them loose and get started! That is the most difficult step - getting started!!!

Being your first house I would honestly suggest priming everything FIRST. The attic in the Garfield appears it would be very hard to paint once built so at a minimum put a flat coat of white paint on all of your walls )that way if push comes to shove you can leave the attic walls white if you can't get to it to decorate - at least it won't be bare wood). Just remember to paint BOTh sides to prevent warping. Paint one side, flip it over and paint the other.

If you are not going to buy flooring go ahead and sand, stain and varnish the floors now as well. You can use this as your flooring and later if you'd like to add carpet or plank flooring you can. A nicely finished floor would take one coat of stain, let completely dry, sand, then a coat of varnish. Allow to dry, sand and one last coat of varnish. ULTRA shiny floors this way! But you will have to paint the underside of the floor as well to prevent warping and to be your ceiling. I suggest painting it in flat white paint.

I would concentrate on getting the shell together before even fooling iwth the tiny little trim/door/stair pieces and such. It will get you going and more motivated to tackle that big part first.

You could even go ahead and paint the outside of your walls the final coat and color to make it a bit easier, but I just find priming each side with flat paint is best.

Once you have primed start assembling. Diecut pieces are not always a perfect fit...if you have minor gaps when putting it together it is fine. When you are all done just buy 1/4" balsa wood trim or laser cut wood trims and you can trim all of that out for a nice finished appearance when done. Diecuts take a lot of trimwork to look complete with nice clean lines and no gaps.

Once your shell is done, then you can take your trim and other small pieces one sheet at a time. Pop them out, lightly sand the edges and prime them. I always put two coats on these - one coat of flat prime, and one coat of gloss in the color i want them to be when done. That is it. Once you glue them on they are done. Much more tedious and difficult to paint trim once glued on.

I will be honest with you it is the sanding and painting of each of those small pieces of trim and such that is the hardest job - in my opinion! Once that is done the rest is a cakewalk. Shingling also takes a lot of time but is not difficult, especially if you pencil in straight lines before you start.

Tips: Do NOT use a hot glue gun to assemble. The kit may already tell you this, or may not...not sure. Use a good wood carpenters glue. Make sure you wipe off glue that globs on the wallls and floors while wet with a damp cloth to prevent it from drying that way. YOu will probably need duct tape (stronger hold than masking IMO) to clamp each wall/floor, etc together while the glue dries. Hot glue may hold and set faster but is NOT a good glue for bldg these houses. Using a good wood glue may take longer and be a pain with taping and clamping but WELL WORTH it.

Other supplies that will be handy - x-acto knife, coping saw (for cutting balsa wood into trim pieces when all done), and sponge brushes that you can throw away after each use....this wood is very splintery. I bought sponge brushes and tossed them in the trash after each coat. Just a shortcut to avoid having to wash brushes too many times and the sponge brushes seem to put paint on the smoothest on the diecut 1/8inch plywood.

GOOD LUCK! HAVE FUN!

Edited by MiniDoxLuvr

welcome welcome! we are all very happy to have you here! I built the garifeld and its a wonderful house. dont worry about the fear, once you get started its hard not to stop!!! ive worked at least 10 hours straight on a house before.. its very addiciting!

I don't see an edit option on my previous post but one correction - Alleene's Tacky Glue is the best glue. It has been awhile since my last greenleaf house construction and I forgot that for this tacky glue is better as it holds itself a bit better than regular wood glue which is rather runny.

Sorry about that!

Thank You, thank you, I should have posted to this wonderful community right after I got my house. You are a wonderful group to take time from your dollhouse building to post. I feel a great deal better this morning about building. I too get very involved in what I am working on, and as I am a night owl, can get carried away. Good thing I am retired, and not expected to get up early in the morning. I will start taking the pieces out and go from there. I really appreciate the encouragement, as I had just panicked. Husband was wondering what was going on as I am not usually intimated by anything that has to be made. Oh, well!, first time for everything. I have checked out the galleries on most of the Garfields and wondered how I could even come close to what you are all accomplishing. Ready to jump in and become addicted.

Thank you everyone,

Shirley :flowers:

Don't hesitate to come back with even small questions! The Garfield was my first build, and first time I had done anything like this..and the folks here were very generous with their time, and never made me feel like I'd asked something "dumb". We all like to see pics of your progress, too..so maybe you can start a gallery, soon? :flowers:

Don't hesitate to come back with even small questions!

A couple of months ago I asked everyone who built a Garfield to post close ups of some particular pictures because I was having a hard time trying to figure out what a certain room was spposed to look like. Everyone jumped at it and I had all sorts of pictures to help me out. Thanks again all!!

Hi and welcome Shirley to this "extended family" as I think of it. I see you allready got alot of great answers regarding the house and I thikn your decision regarding the jump in and becoem addicted is a very wise one LOL!

Ready to jump in and become addicted.

Thank you everyone,

Shirley :flowers:

Just go for it, and sit down and "listen" to what the house itself tells you as well, sometimes you will almost hear it tell you how it wants to be "dressed", ie colours and trims and what kind of room this could be etc etc and that is just soooooo much fun.

And please share pics as you go along!!! :) ;)

Mini-hugs

Hello and welcome! I think everyone's pretty much covered any advice I could give you, but I definitely want to stress writing the part letter or number, and the part name on each part as you punch it out! I would be so lost if I weren't labeling them as I went!!!

Welcome to the forum - you can expose your fears here, because they will be soon washed away. Everyone is very keen to help out, and offer loads of advice - as you've seen! The Greenleaf community is a wonderful environment, full of very special, very generous members. ;)

Hello and welcome! I think everyone's pretty much covered any advice I could give you, but I definitely want to stress writing the part letter or number, and the part name on each part as you punch it out! I would be so lost if I weren't labeling them as I went!!!

I agree totally with this advise. I write the part name and sheet no. on masking tape and put it on the piece, that way it doesn't get sanded off. The first time I wrote in pencil on the piece but found that I sanded the writing off, the masking tape can be stuck back on after sanding.

Also, keep baggies handy to put small pieces in so they don't get lost.

Hi and welcome. :D Your going to love the garfield :yikes: . Just take your time and read the instructions over and over and if you have questions just ask we'll try to help and remember there are no such things as stupid questions. :lol:

;) and :lol: , Shirley. I can only add that as you explore the site look out for the posts that have suggestions for tools or techniques. I post "how I do that" descriptions in my building blogs, so you'll see how I scribe "floorboards" directly into the plywood and how I hinge doors & how Peggi made a pin-pivot for her Coventry Cottage working door; even though they aren't specific to the Garfield there are a lot of informative posts scattered about :wave::)