Jumped in with both feet

Adallae

I've been drooling over the Duracraft Linfield on ebay for awhile, but I've never had the cash available when one came up for bidding. Then I found one today - Buy it Now, $29! I emailed the seller asking if everthing was there, but after sitting waiting for a response, I kept thinking, someone's going to swoop in on this if I don't go for it.

So I did! :)

It's from a consignment store in the south, and I checked out their website before buying. The kit was listed in the store, and their store policy is that no toys will be accepted with missing pieces, so I'm hoping it's mostly all there. Shipping was about $13 USPS, which is comparable to what I've seen on other Linfields to my zip code. At the very least, I've got a partial kit, and with some creativity I could have an original design! :p

Cross your fingers for me! I'll update you when it arrives!

Wow, for the price, I don't think you could go wrong! You may have to manufacture some parts, but a bit of kit-bashing is half the fun anyway, or so I've learned! I've spent that much money on something that wasn't nearly as much fun.... :p

Here's a really nice one I found online:

Linfield

I calculated the shipping cost on USPS from the sellers zip code to mine, and it's right on target. I'm hoping it shows up before I have to leave for California on Saturday!

That's a great price. I got mine a few years ago at Big Lots for $35. When dollhouseproperties.com was up they were charging over $600 for the kit. I don't know where they get their pricing from. Nobody is going to pay that for a Linfield kit not put together.

Mine remains in the box. It just hasn't said what it wants done with it. Right now I'm working on another Dura-craft house, but someday I want to get to it. I'd like to research more real-life examples of this house type before I dive in. I think this one might be one of my babies...those special kits you'd never sell or get rid of.

Blondie,

Congrats on your bargain! You will love it!

Jokelly,

I have a question for you. I see you are working on Duracraft houses. Can you tell me where to get some shingles for Duracraft. I am finishing a Columbian and have run out of shingles. I also have a Linfield we rescued from a yard sale that needs repair. I don't know where to look. They are cedar looking in different shades of color. Can you help?

Nancy

If I were you and I only had a little bit of the Columbian left to shingle, Nancy, I'd take them from the Linfield kit if you have them. Other than that I'd say look at the cedar shingles from miniatures.com

With shingling, I rob from Peter to Paul. I use shingles from one house to do another. Dura-craft gave you much more shingles than you need for a house usually. From my Lafayette, I shingled it and most of a Buttercup. Then I took the shingles from my Duracraft Newport Cape and finished the Buttercup and used them to shingle my Sugarpum after I messed up the shingles give with the kit. For the Newport Cape I ordered the cheapest shingles I could find and spray painted them with a textured black spray to duplicate asphalt (cheaper than buying the mini asphalt shingles). I haven't touched my Linfield shingles and I have some left over from the unused Newport.

I know others don't care for Dura-craft as much, but I really miss them being out of business. I had no problem getting free replacements for things when they were in business.

Congratulations!! Even if all the parts aren't there, you should be able to make do. Duracraft tends to give extra trim and such. I haven't had as many left over shingles as Jokelly, but I always have left over trim with the Duracrafts I have done and am doing. Good luck with it and remember to post pictures. It looks like a beautiful house.

I think that you made the right choice. It is not a lot of money even if it doesn't work out. I am addicted to e-bay and sometimes I win and sometimes I lose; however, since I win more then not, I think that it is worthwhile taking the risk sometimes.

Katharina

I hope all the pieces are there.

I had one with a video on how to build it too. Never did find the darn tape after it was built (Maybe I threw it away )

I had a video with the San Franciscan I built, and it vanished ASA I finished the build! Maybe they had self-destruct mechanisms built into them...

Here's a really nice one I found online:

Linfield

I calculated the shipping cost on USPS from the sellers zip code to mine, and it's right on target. I'm hoping it shows up before I have to leave for California on Saturday!

that is a beautiful house! ive never seen that kit before, i dont know most of the kits dura craft made infact. lol I def. like this one :p

That's a great price. I got mine a few years ago at Big Lots for $35.

BIG LOTS SELLS KITS??? omg i have a store near my house!! oo im gonna have to go take a peak!

I hope all the pieces are there.

I had a video with the San Franciscan I built, and it vanished ASA I finished the build! Maybe they had self-destruct mechanisms built into them...

:) Holly you always make me giggle :(

BIG LOTS SELLS KITS??? omg i have a store near my house!! oo im gonna have to go take a peak!

Not anymore they don't. The last time I found a kit at Big Lots was about 4 years ago. They used to sell Dura-craft kits sometimes when you could catch them. The most I've ever found was two or three at a time, and I gobbled both of them up. I got a few there for good prices.

The thing I regret is about 8 years ago when I first started into dollhouses, Dollar Tree had Dura-craft furniture kits for $1/kit. I got 3 sets, but now I wish I could go back and clean the place out. They had whole racks of them. Now I could kick myself for not buying more. They've never had Dura-craft stuff since that time.

Thanks JoKelly,

For the info, I was wondering if and where I could find some cedar shingles to buy. I didn't waste any building, and ran out before doing the center of the back roof.

The Columbian I bought on clearence for $17 and it has been resting in our attic for 16 years. I put it to work for a quick build as a Christmas house. It came out of the box warped and fought me every step of the way. I built a frame around the inside perimiter of the foundation under the floor. (It can't be seen.) Same under the second floor. (It looks like moulding around the ceiling.) It now stands straight and tall, as square as it should be. I don't know who is more proud, the house or me!

The Linfield was rescued from a yard sale for $20. It was already built, but not really a very good job. The porches fell off and came apart along with some of the inside pieces. Some shingles are broken, but they seem to be firmly attached. It has other problems, but well worth the price. This one, also, will be proud.

I must say, I'm also building a Greenleaf Fairfield and it has been very well behaved.

Thanks again.

Nancy

I heard from the seller today, and it looks like the kit is complete! It was brought to her shop by a single mom who purchased it for her daughter. She works three jobs to keep up, never got around to putting it together, and her daughter lost interest. The seller says it was a great favor to the mother to have this sold, and she kicked in a little extra for shipping herself! I'm so thrilled to know that the money went to someone who could really use it - what a great Christmas story! This finally kicked me into the holiday spirit!

:lol: