What I am working on

Minis On The Edge

Might try the stucco powder so thanks for the heads up, Tracy, it sounds easy enough. One question -- did you use regular latex paint to tint it?

I used acrylic craft paint think I got a picture of it together with the stucco in my albums. Mine lightened up by two shades :lol: . Susanne, which Craft paint did you use? I used Delta Ceramcoat. :lol:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the Orchid, I used Folk Art berry wine acrylic paint. I was surprised that by adding the stucco mix that it didn't lighten (at least not noticeably). I don't think I quite used a 50-50 paint-stucco mix. I didn't measure. I wanted it thick enough to be able to achieve a pattern effect.

I used the same colour-mix to finish the outside of the roombox that I made for my brother's Christmas gift. I'm not particularly economical, but I wanted to use up the left-over paint so that I didn't have to store it. After I painted on the stucco mix, I just used the paint to trim the top and sides of the structure. The colour is either the exact shade, or awfully close to it. I couldn't see any difference. If my eyes are getting bad (and they could be), my brother is 2 1/2 years older than me, so he shouldn't notice the difference either. :lol:

But I would do as Tracey suggested and mix in a darker shade than you might want the final colour to show as. I'd also do a test on something first. When I did my test, I let it dry overnight to see what the actual colour was after the paint-stucco dried.

-Susanne

post-924-1166324568.jpg

I am working on the Dura Craft 505 Farmhouse for a customer (got the walls up, ready for the roof to go on), finishing the exterior of a Pierce and installing chandelier adaptors in the Pierce, for Sheila...I just finished a Newberg for a customer (turned out real cute!)...just sold the Linfield I completed a couple of months ago. And, of course, I have my big wooden dollhouse that I haven't worked on for awhile. I have the white orchid and my own Pierce in boxes, waiting for me to get done with the Farmhouse and Sheila's Pierce...hopefully the first of the year.

The Magnolia certainly says beach house to me!

customer wanted the house to look the way it did on the box and I still got it wrong. I guess I am a rebel at heart!

There comes a time when the house tells you what IT wants, never mind what the person it's going to may think she wants; she'll like it as well or better in the end.

Ohhh Peggi, I LOVE the Farmhouse 505 !! I can't wait to see what yours look like (Hint, Hint :lol: )

Holly, I sure hope he does like it. I worry about what the person will think when they have it in there hand until I hear from them for sure :lol:

It's wonderful to read about everyones projects that they have going on!

Here is the link with the pictures of the Magnolia I just finished:

2952815380037881673UUvBvh_th.jpg

It was a fast a fun build. My customer wanted the house to look the way it did on the box and I still got it wrong. :lol: I guess I am a rebel at heart!

:lol:

Wow Tracy, it turned out beautifully! Another awesome job!!!!!

Well you're definitely not kidding US!lol Yeah, I'd say Bruce has your number. You can still pet the pretty paper the box is wrapped in, y'know. Who knows, unless Bruce reinforces it with steel strapping, the paper could even rip just a teeny bit and the box might mysteriously come open along one end and...

<sighing> He hid it. I think he knows knows how those "the box just opened by itself!" accidents happen. Of course, I found it and sneak in to pet the box while he's at work. I *have* to bond with it! We're having whispered conversations about what it wants to be and when it wants to be built. The answers are "victorian" and "immediately, if not sooner".

Well, if you say so. But for sure, Deb is a special case!
That's a nice way of putting it! :lol:

I used acrylic craft paint think I got a picture of it together with the stucco in my albums. Mine lightened up by two shades

I love the Greenleaf stucco too. When I use it with craft paints, it does lighten up a little, but when I mix it with regular latex house paint, it doesn't lighten at all. When I used it for venitian plaster, I used white latex tinted with craft paint and didn't notice it lightning much there either. I wonder if there's something about the latex paint that keeps the color from being diluted when it's mixed.

Deb

Deb, That could be it because the bottle says to mix it with "Latex" paint :lol: (I told y'all I don't follow the instructions :lol: )

Susanne, I LOVE your orchid!! I just looked at it again and you did such a wonderful job on it. That wine color is really nice too! I gotta buy that color. It is so beautiful & rich!

Deb, That could be it because the bottle says to mix it with "Latex" paint :lol: (I told y'all I don't follow the instructions :lol: )

It does???? <cackle, snort> Apparently, I didn't read them either. Isn't it great how we have this forum to get together and discuss these things so we can determine what's already on the label without having to read it? heheheheheehee <gasp, choke> hehehehehehe I like this way better, it's a lot more fun! <wiping a tear> heheheheheheheheheee

Deb

Teresa, I found this website with some nice tidbits about the movie that may help you in regards to small details about the movie I can't find any outside shots of the house from the movie The Ghost and Mrs. Muir I had some booked marked on my older computer

Thanks Tracy! I have the old black and white movie too, which I'll have to sit down and watch to get ideas from. I think in the TV show the house was white with black shutters? Guess I'll have to get my research hat on!! :lol:

I think it was a white house with black shutters too (But it was kinda hard to know for sure since pale yellows & greens look black & white in a B & W movie :lol: I never saw it in color so I guess that would help me !! :D

I love the story line in that movie so much and can't wait to see your house become a reality!!

:lol:

wow, that house is AB FAB, i can imagine having iced tea or mint juleps on the porch, rocking.

it's splendid!

hope that there'll be loads of photos and a good long interview in the 'zine, too, so you get to share your gifts with the readers.

thank you for the tour!

well, i'm working on some self discipline, here. am bidding on a kit. only one. it's hard not to lose sight of pesky obligations like that heating bill, but one does what one must. and i go and talk to the houses and re-arrange their scanty furnishings, and make bold promises.

one "starter" wiring kit for one house, and some wallpaper for two houses (hice?) are en route. can't wait! and i am planning to get a Large wiring kit for the Pierce when the holiday, travel, paychecks and property taxes (sigh) sort themselves out.

JOB is a 4-letter word but it pays for cat food money and dollhouse efforts. oh, and food, too.

Tracy, your Magnolia is gorgeous!

And Suzanne, your Orchid is wonderful.

I am still waiting for the HH to tell me what it wants to be! Collecting pictures of stair treatments and trying to fit them into the plan... I only kept one staircase on all my 4 houses - the Glencroft.