Check out this kit on ebay

CJEP

It really is not that bad a price. It is not the 1/8 ply that other kits are. It is thicker, usually cabnet grade, ply that get nailed and glued together. My Country Victorian is similar to the main house and the CV retails at HBS for almost $500 by itself. Plus you are getting a whole nother structure and yard and basement.

Houses like these are very nice and very easy to build. (Not to take away from slot and tab kits.) They are harder to bash and require powertools to do any bashing.

I would choose a Greenleaf or Dura-craft kit over this one any day and if Sid Cooke can ask for this price for his work then Tracy (minis on the edge) should ask double for hers with all the work and originality she puts into those houses.

This looks like a dolls house emporium house and I am not fond of those. They look too much like a box than a house and too perfect for a house like there is no character.

I love the conservatory on this one though. Very gothic looking but I think it doesn't suit the house, the house would have been better off with a more modern style conservatory.

Wowsers! That's gorgeous! Would I pay that much for a kit? Not in this life!!!! But Sid Cooke houses are wonderfully detailed and are heirloom quality so that's why they're so expensive. Oh, to win the lottery!

I've seen those kits advertised lately. Cream of the crop, top of the line, I'm assuming. Would sure like to see one in real life to see what all the excitement is about! me, I'm happy with my Pierce, waiting patiently for me to start working on her.

I agree with Anya, I would not swap a greenleaf house for a house like this, although sid cooke is the cream over here, a lot of my friends have front opening houses, whether cheaper or expensive, they are all the same and leave me cold, they have no character, even this sid cooke house, when you open it up they are just boxes.

now my youngest won a Sid Cooke shop kit this year, I can see why people go for them, the wood is perfect and ready cut, they go together like a dream, no sanding to do, nothing 'cept put it together, its really easy. I think thats what grabs people over here the easyness of it, they want a house quick, think it took me 1/2 hr to put togehter the shop.

since then I've done nothing with it, its stll bare wood, and as the little'un wants a pet shop in it a few dogs knocking about, but its not speaking to me about what it wants.

now with the girl's Orchid and Laurel, they won't stop yakking. So I not know what it is with us brits (well some of us) wish more us us liked Greenleaf

Yes, that's a good price for that kit with all the additions. We do pay quite a lot for our kits over here. My Dolls House Emporium Grosvenor Hall cost me £400 (about $780) & that was a special trade price!

I see what you mean by the UK houses being boxy. Oddly enough this had never occured to me in a conscious way - I suppose because they're what I'm used to seeing - but I'd already decided to alter the inside of my GH to make it less 'boxy', so I guess it had struck me on a subconscios level.

From an opposite point of view, I love the look of the Garfield, but it seems strange to me, that some parts of the inside can hardly be seen!

I love variety, it makes life more interesting.

Jackie

some parts of the inside can hardly be seen!

They can be partly seen from the windows and accessed from the open areas; I think it adds to the illusion of "real" we try to achieve with these little jewels of houses.