Loving this hobby

cwoods

Hello, my name is Cindi. I am an elementary special ed. teacher from Indiana. I live here with my husband, my son, 2 cats and my little crazy dog. I don't get as much time as I would like to work on my house due to the fact that I just started back to get my Master's degree. Hopefully over Christmas break I can devote some more time to this wonderful and addictive hobby. :D

I got a Beacon Hill kit when I was about 15 from my grandmother as a birthday present. She had also got a Pierce (I think) for my sister. My dad was to put them together for us. He was able to get my sister's done during a period he was off work for an injury. He then went back to work and never really got to my house. As time went by (and my true teenage years set in) I eventually pushed it aside in my mind and focused on being a teen, then college, then career and family. :lol:

A few years ago, my parents moved to a new house and the kit was re-discovered but I still didn't have the motivation to work on it. Last Christmas, my husband offered to put it together for me. He worked very diligently for about 2 weeks and got the house together (I think that he really enjoyed it). Since then I have worked on it here and there but have been rather overwhelmed with it's size and what exactly to do with it. My sister introduced me to this site (among many other mini wonders) and I have spent many hours looking through, getting tips, and checking out people's web sites. I am amazed at the craftmanship that all of you possess. Your houses are beautiful. :lol: (for sharing your knowledge)

I recently got an Orchid at half price and have been working on putting it together myself. I have put the Beacon Hill aside for awhile. I am hoping that working with the Orchid and getting it finished will help me to not be so overwhelmed by my beautiful Victorian. I plan on making my Orchid a stone cottage (using tips I found here) with maybe some magical fairies or elves. I am making quick(er) progress so far and I am quite excited. :lol:

Hello Cindi,

Welcome to the forum. If you have questions, just ask and these wonderful people here will have answers. Remember, there are no dumb questions here. We all learn from someone else's experience. I know I have.

Cindi, we're so glad you're here!

there are no dumb questions
Gayle has just quoted my mantra.

I have worked on it here and there but have been rather overwhelmed with it's size and what exactly to do with it

My first kit was Dura-Craft's San Franciscan and that puppy took me three and a half YEARS to build! (I was also attending nursing school full time & working, because the program I was in "encouraged" us to get hospital jobs ASA we began our two-semester med-sug classes) I built it for DGD, who has since "outgrown" it & only God knows what has become of it...

After you finish your Orchid I think you'll find the BH less intimidating. I'm finishing the curtains and them my wooden Orchid kit will be finished except for the little people who want to live in it.

You are most certainly welcome & encouraged to post pictures of both your Orchid & your Beacon Hill, and do check out all the members' pictures, There are many BHs in the Gallery albums and there are two building blogs for the Orchid so far and maybe another coming for the white plastic version many people won during Hallowe'en.

Welcome to the Forums Cindi! We are very happy to have you here! thank you for sharing your mini history I always love reading those :) The beacon hill is a beauitful house, its on my list of "want to build" someday. But its size can be overwhelming. my first house was the garfield and about half way through it i got very overwhelmed and started building my conventry cottage instead for awhile. After i felt "refreshed" and alot more confident i was up and ready to go again on my garfield. Please share pics with us if you have time.

-Jenny

Hi Cindi, Welcome to the forum! I'm one of those that did the Beacon Hill as my first house. I was totally overwhelmed by its size but never regretted it being my first. I do know now that I would have done things alot differently had I known this forum existed back then. Good luck with yours and the Orchid. Please show pictures when you can.

Wendy

Cindi -

Hello and welcome. There's a lot of collective experience and wisdom on this site (and a lot of friends and fun). I'm so glad you've found us - it's certainly the best miniature site on the web.

I have a Beacon Hill that my dad built for me in 1994. It's been an ongoing project for me since that time as I re-decorate and re-arrange.

Last summer several of us did blogs on our Orchid building experiences. You'll find stories and photos in the Blogs.

Teresa (Minimadwoman) has an incredible Beacon Hill. I'm sure she'll post a link to her site for you to view. Be prepared for some beautiful eye-candy.

-Susann