Anyone else building out there?

Dasprite222

Hi, all! I was wondering if anyone else is like me and just enjoys building and painting the exterior of these houses, as opposed fussing with the interior decorating? With the virus giving me hobby time back, I’ve built four 1:12 scale houses, plus two sets of the 1:48 villages to make a Christmas town. However, the only interior work I’ve completed is felt on the floor once as a carpet, some lighting, and assembling the furniture kits (stopping short at putting material on the sofa & chairs, of course).

So, am I the only woman in the world uncomfortable with interior decorating, or is there a support group? :-)

• Like 2

Hi Diana,

You are not alone. I really prefer the building stage......Once I get to the interior,  my drive usually fizzles out. I am better at doing the interiors of small projects like room boxes.

There is nothing wrong with having a preference IMO! I bought a huge dollhouse that was already built. It is pretty much a blank slate. I am trying to treat each room as if it was a room box in hopes I may complete each room. That way the totality of the project isn't overwhelming or get boring.

What houses have you built? We love to see pictures.

• Like 1

For several projects I worked with a partner. I was happier doing construction and she was happier decorating. We made a good  team. :) 

When I'm working on my own, I enjoy both activities equally.

Edited by KathieB
  • Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Daina.  I have a Tennyson I got in an auction that is unfinished inside; fortunately for me it was built with hot glue, so when I get ready to work on it I will take it all apart and rebuild it with carpenter's wood glue, decorating as I go.  If you enjoy building, build away; if you lived near me we could get together and I could decorate as you build.

I’m kind of in the middle.  I enjoy the building aspect but I also enjoy making furniture.  I struggle with the decorating, some people are just perfect with getting just the right details in place.  I compensate my lack of decorating skills by trying to make my furniture make a statement and keep things minimal.   

• Like 1

Well, you don’t need to look any further for a support group. :) 

I like all aspects of miniatures, but wasn’t that way initially. Do what inspires you and keeps you building. You will find kindred spirits here.

There are a lot of people out there that think like you do - they are called model railroaders. When the pandemic becomes a memory, take a trip and see what they do. The biggest (they say) model railroad layout in the world is a place called Entertrainment about 20 miles north of Cincinnati and you will be bowled over by the number of buildings and the quality of workmanship - or just visit the Cincinnati Union Station which houses a number of museums and check out their modeling of downtown.

But all around the country (even the club I am in) have members who mainly model the outside of buildings from scratch or just kit-bash - taking a commercial plastic model of some building and making it into something (sometimes totally) different than what the manufacturer intended.

Edited by Husband of Adobe Dollhouse
added a bit
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Dasprite222  OMG!! I do the same, except, I add electric in mine, too!  I don't bother fussing with furniture and accessories.  I move onto the next house when all rooms have been painted and wallpapered.  I am, however, working on a Worthington, I'm seriously thinking of keeping for myself.  For this, I'll consider decorating with furniture

• 2 years later...
On 2/27/2021 at 6:24 PM, Husband of Adobe Dollhouse said:

There are a lot of people out there that think like you do - they are called model railroaders. When the pandemic becomes a memory, take a trip and see what they do. The biggest (they say) model railroad layout in the world is a place called Entertrainment about 20 miles north of Cincinnati and you will be bowled over by the number of buildings and the quality of workmanship - or just visit the Cincinnati Union Station which houses a number of museums and check out their modeling of downtown.

Actually, that's part of the reason I bought these! When my brother I and were kids, my father bought a dollhouse kit to build with me and a train set and some model planes to build with my brother. I always loved the styrofoam mountain and tunnel setup his train was laid out on, so when I got my own place, I bought a few cheap Christmas trains set to run with the Greenleaf models I started building back during COVID. I took a trundle bed frame and put it on pallets with casters, painted it all black, then put our Yankee Candle houses in with my 1 inch scale Greenleaf ones for an amazing Halloween table. 

Unfortunately, when I built a dividing wall in the garage to make a workshop, I forgot to check the door size, so that one is now my workshop table! LOL I've started a new one Christmas one using a white junior loft bed and the 1/4 inch Greenleaf village homes inside a little screened in gazebo, but the weather and my patience isn't as mild as it was 5 years! 

I'm on a Chromebook laptop; at the top of the page the Greenleaf logo is in the upper left corner and below it is a strip of buttons; the Gallery button is the third one from the left.

If you are on a phone click the 3 lines top right and a menu will slide out. Gallery is the 4th option down. BTW picresize.com is a good source for shrinking photos. 

I got a platform bed frame to put my Pepperwood Farm on. I had tried dropping it's custom made table top inside the rails of a regular bed frame but the table skirt was a smidge too wide to drop down. Of course. We shall see how the platform works. I'm moving my collection to a former garage converted to a great room.