I have stepped into the murky waters of Ebay

Cuppa-Tea

And made my first bid ever... on the Allison by Artply. I have enough money from my coin jar to pay for it if it doesn't go too high... we'll see! This is a new venture for me... I've never done this before! I'm not thrilled about it being such an old kit, but it's just the right size for what I want - cute and not too complicated.

Of course you can always put in your highest limit bit and then just hold your breath. That's what I always do. If I keep looking at where the bidding is, I get all caught up in the excitement and tend to go over what I'd normally pay. On those occasions, when I lose the auction, I feel lucky!

look around in those murkey waters and you will see me.

I just won a whitney which is tha same as the allison.

I think I want to paperclay mine.

actually I cant swim those waters for anything till after Christmas.

I actually finished miss Pixie's Christmas shopping on e-bay a few days ago which is why Im grounded now

Love those little tykes toys!

nutti :giggle:

What I have learned in the past few years: there are 2 ways to win on Ebay. But it Now, and sniping. Seriously, if the buy it now price is reasonable, go for it. If it's an auction, bidding before the last minute is a waste of time, unless you can't be there, then just proxy bid whatever you're willing to spend.

I put my highest bid in and then i turn off the computer and walk away...

I dont want to get swept up in the auction ending excitement and spend more then i intended.

Good Luck!!

I put my highest bid in and then i turn off the computer and walk away...

That's what I did. If it get it for my offer, then I get it. But I do keep sneaking back to check! There are several up for auction right now, but what I'm afraid of is that all those people who lose other auctions will come over and pounce on this one. But it's not something I can't live without.

What I have learned in the past few years: there are 2 ways to win on Ebay. But it Now, and sniping. Seriously, if the buy it now price is reasonable, go for it. If it's an auction, bidding before the last minute is a waste of time, unless you can't be there, then just proxy bid whatever you're willing to spend.

What is sniping? I would prefer to "buy it now" but there isn't that option.

Snipping is waiting till the last seconds and putting your bid in then. Honestly I try to snipe nicely. I wait until the last few minutes and put my bid in then. I try to give the other person a chance to raise if they really want it. That is if I end up being the high bidder of course. If not I let it go. There have been many times I have bid on something early and had a person bid 25 times in .50 increments just to win.

Aha. I am a sniper. Usually I put in my top bid and go away, but if it is something I really want, then look out. I had someone send me a really nasty letter because I had taken 3 things from them. They were new. I said be a big dog on the porch or a puppy and go lay down. That's how the game is played. I used to go to tool auctions all the time. Men would get so mad when I'd outbid them. My father would laugh.

Aha. I am a sniper. Usually I put in my top bid and go away, but if it is something I really want, then look out. I had someone send me a really nasty letter because I had taken 3 things from them. They were new. I said be a big dog on the porch or a puppy and go lay down. That's how the game is played. I used to go to tool auctions all the time. Men would get so mad when I'd outbid them. My father would laugh.

As I said you have to outbid them. A lot of people don't know about proxy bidding, but I found out about that something like 2 minutes after I got an account. If people can't read the tips on bidding, too bad for em. Snipers only win if they outbid.

Now Spamheads who use DOS software are summink else!

As I said you have to outbid them. A lot of people don't know about proxy bidding, but I found out about that something like 2 minutes after I got an account. If people can't read the tips on bidding, too bad for em. Snipers only win if they outbid.

Now Spamheads who use DOS software are summink else!

In you very best Ricky Ricardo English, splain Spamheads and DOS software please.

I do something that sometimes actually works.

I will bid my highest bid like $27.73. It makes the others wonder, how far did she go? It works sometimes if you dont use even bidding.

I wish I was ashamed to admit this.....

but I am a sniper....Im sorry for only haveing to admit it.

I love getting in on stuff at the last minute and yes I have paid more for stuff because of last second bidding war but its an auction afterall and its part of the fun...sometimes

I also loose out because I will forget Im watching an auction and I will get up and leave computer and when I come back Ive missed it. the latest I missed was a Willowcrest not to far from me that I could go pick up and have to pay no shipping ;) :welcome:

and it went fairly cheep. sucks for me. but this happens in the game of e-bay

I hope you win your auction!

nutti :jumping:

I wanted to collect some old magazines from the 20's and 30's a while back, so I bid on some on EBAY. I got annoyed when this guy slipped just under the wire a few times to nab some from me. I eventually nabbed one from him.

tsk, I felt so childish, but I counted out my average magazine costs with shipping and I was still happy with my deals.

I remember when I put the pumpkin house up and someone decided to put on a similar one( but not as nice, of course)with a similar sounding description...but very cheap, cheap cheap.

By the way, I'm thinking of putting Miss Nutkin's Nuthouse up, not quite sure yet, though. Don't know if I feel like going through the aggravation right now.

In you very best Ricky Ricardo English, splain Spamheads and DOS software please.

Spamhead's just a less crude way of calling someone a jerk, like otherexpressions that end in head, as in .....head (insert whatever at the front). DOS is software that blocks other people, denial of service.

Well, I'm currently the high bidder, but the auction doesn't end until late tonight, so anything can happen. I am kind of regretting bidding, actually, b/c I remember how HORRIBLE my last old kit was to work with, so I kind of hope I lose!

I was debating and debating yesterday over whether to up my bid to try to win.... As I said I hate working on old kits because the wood can be so bad.... but I decided after spending several hours poring over catalogs that there just isn't anything available new that is as cute as the Alison. So, I upped my bid 20 mins before the auction ended... and waited, and then logged on again with 3 minutes to go. I was refreshing my screen every 30 seconds watching the time count down hoping no one would outbid me... AND I WON!!!!

I'm so excited!!!! It really bites, though, having to pay $17.50 for the shipping... but I got the house for only $28 so I think that was a really good deal. She's going to ship it today priority and I should have it early next week. :unsure:

What's so cute is that DS really wanted that one... not a different one. He has excellent taste for a four year old!

What's so cute is that DS really wanted that one... not a different one. He has excellent taste for a four year old!

Wow, he'd be right at home in Lake Woebegone ... :unsure: ... definitely a child above average!