Staining Shingles help!

Micki

Hi All,

I am about to start shingling the roof of my house and was wondering if anyone knows of a quick way to stain the shingles. Obviously they should be stained before gluing them to the roof, but I was hoping there was a better way than staining each and every shingle and figuring out where to lay them all to dry! Suggestions anyone? Thanks and have a good one!

I have stained the shingles after I have glued them onto the house. But I am guessing you just have to sit and dig in to it. Just lay out newspaper and stain stain stain away each and every shingle and lay flat on newspaper to dry.

You could pour the shingles and stain into a zipper plastic bag and shake. Then spread them out to dry. Another method is to get to aluminum roasting pans. Poke holes in one. Put the holey one inside the intact one with the shingles and stain. When done lift the pan out so the stain drains thru the holes to the other pan. Then lay the shingles out to dry. I haven't used either method, but they have been discussed before. I put mine on, then paint. HTH

Thanks for the great suggestions...more and more I am thinking I just might put them on first and then stain...thanks again!

It really goes rather quickly that way. Just be careful not to load the brush with too much stain so as not to drip on the walls below. A foam brush works well. And also be careful not to get glue on the surface of the shingles. The glue won't take the stain, and you'll end up with light spots.

I try to keep the Greenleaf shingles together on their sheets. I lay a sheet of shingles on a sheet of waxed paper, dp a piece of old teeshirt rag into the stain and rub it over the shingles and set them aside on the waxed paper sheet on a section of newspaper to dry. I just continue to stack the sheets until I'm done and they dry just fine, the waxed paper keeps them from sticking to each other & applying with a rag keeps them from getting sopping wet.

A word of advice--if you stain before applying do not put on newspapers to dry. They will stick to the paper and you will have a very hard time peeling the paper off. I learned this the hard way One of my big oops moments.Next time I will use wax paper. :thumb:

Do you remember those stain pens for when you scratched your furniture?

I went into Michaels the other day and they had stain sticks - they are wider than the pens about an inch and comes in 3 different colors and dries really fast. I know it was a little costly but for me it was really easy and I didn't even have to wear gloves.

I know cost wise you would get more out of a bottle or can but it was one of those things I had to try and it was really handy for a person who was working in a living room with 3 dogs running around. :thumb:

I tried the two aluminum pans idea and had a ball. First thing I learned is don't use the stain with the poly in it, cause it doesn't drip as well; 2nd don't overload the dipping pan with shingles. :drool::drool: Other than that it worked well and wax paper will keep them from sticking to each other.

If you do glue them on before staining--be extra careful cause stain doesn't work well with glue. I ended up painting my shingles on the Lily because of the horrible way they turned out because I wasn't careful with the glue. Color variations was very very bad.

The safest-sounding one, chemically, that I use is to fill a jar with isopropyl alcohol and add India ink a few drops at a time; it needn't be too dark, as you can keep brushing it on to get the silvery effect on wood. The other method aslo uses a glass (non-reactive jar with a screw-on lid, you fill it halfway with white vinegar and drop a fine steel wool pad (I use 0000 pads to polish furniture & floors) in and cover the jar & let it sit until the pad has mostly dissolved into rust. Those are the two "bug juice" recipes I remember off the top of my head.

Hi there!

First I glue them into place and then with a very big brush a put the paint on in dots and when still wet I go over it with a slightly different color and then with a smaller brush and some water try to make it look like and old and wearry kind of roof.

Hope you still know wich way to use and choose, good luck and happy staining!

greetings, wilma

The more I read about all the different methods people employ to make and decorate their houses, the more excited I am about this passionate love affair (okay, hobby)! ;) It just goes to show that there is no right or wrong way, it's whatever works for you. (And even if it doesn't work, mistakes just get the creative juices bubbling to find a new remedy!)

The more I read about all the different methods people employ to make and decorate their houses, the more excited I am about this passionate love affair (okay, hobby)! :D It just goes to show that there is no right or wrong way, it's whatever works for you. (And even if it doesn't work, mistakes just get the creative juices bubbling to find a new remedy!)

Well true this passion errr, hobby is definitley about trying new things out and while doing so learning what one likes best for this particular house/cottage/mansion or whatever. And trying someone else's ways gives such a boost to venture into something a bit unknown to start with and then develope one's own way of doing it.

Please share pics of your love, oops, house when you have worked on the shingling ;)

Hugs

What is "bug juice" and its purpose?

I'm not sure why it's called "bug juice"; either because it looks sort of like old insecticide? The purpose is to "age" wood to the silvery patina that old wood weathers to.

I'm not sure why it's called "bug juice"; either because it looks sort of like old insecticide? The purpose is to "age" wood to the silvery patina that old wood weathers to.

Thanks, just knew you could tell me. <writing info down for future reference> You don't know how much I appreciate the information I gather every time I visit this site.

Thanks, just knew you could tell me. <writing info down for future reference> You don't know how much I appreciate the information I gather every time I visit this site.

Oh yes I do LOL as I feel about the same I think! I think this bugjuice deal sounds awesome so I will need to try it on some of the buildings I have around that needs that finishing touch.

Hugs