how to lay carpet

mom26

I use plain old Elmer's white glue, after I carefully cut the material to fit the floor I spread the glue in a thin layer over the floor. I butt the material against the far wall & gently press it down along the wall & into the corners, then from the far end to near, working from the middle outward to the sides, being careful not to stretch the carpet material out of shape. don't use heavy pressure or weight it, it's amazing (& upsetting) to see how little glue it takes to bleed through even thick fabric!

I have ruined so many carpets by using glue. Sometimes, I thought I did not add too much and then I go back and check the darn thing and the glue stain is there :blink: That's why I started using the double sided tape. Plus....I LOVE to change things so it works best for me. :)

The doublesided tape sounds wonderful, especially if, unlike me, you can get it to stick to the desired item instead of your body parts.

:) Ohhhh Holly!!!!! Well I am also one of those who seem to get the glue all over.... So I will take this tip and use it next time when putting in a carpet.

My grandmother swore by the effictivness of using doublesided tape in wet and dry so to speak...

Hugs

I have always used double sided tape. If the fabirs you are using tends to fray or unravle, you can use a small amount of Fray-Check and any clear drying white glue at the edge.

Last time I installed carpet, I bought some wonderful room sized sheets of double sided tape. Instead of a roll it was a sheet of doublesided tape about 8" x 10" (more or less). So easy! unfortunately that shop has closed and now I have no idea where to buy it.

Jeri

I used tacky glue on mine the other day. Knowing it will probably have to be there forever. LOL

It didn't bleed through. The carpet had a glossy paper back to it. I don't know it that helped. I smoothed it down with a credit card it had few wrinkles but they all left as it dried. I think it looks wonderful. I hope still looks wonderful in 10 years considering the fact that I glued it down. LOL I am hoping to post some pictures sometime this week.

I haven't tried gluing a carpet down yet, but I would use Fabric glue. It doesn't bleed through cloth, because it's designed for fabric. :D

I used some fabric glue on a doll's dress not long ago. It bled through and left a stain. Best to check it on a scrap before applying to the carpet.

I'm surprised that fabric glue bled and stained! :D I've never had that problem - I've been using it on all sorts of things for years - children's theatre school costumes, mini rugs, cushions, doll dresses - I even "mended" the torn binding of an old book with it! I guess I was just lucky that it didn't spoil anything. I think I shall always test it out first in future. :lol:

thanks again for the idea of the double sided tape i have yet to try it, guess I'm nervous and yet to find the time crazy last few weeks going to try tomorrow, i know this is off topic but still too do with floors, can I make my own wooden floor and any ideas how and what size wood?

Corinna...I am in the process of making a wood floor as I write this. My friend sent me some wood strips that are 3/4" wide. I stained them, then cut diff. lengths...glued to a piece of matboard (which fits my floor) with liquid nails. Now I have some wax paper and heavy weights on it until tomorrow. I will do a coat of varnish of some sort. Will take pics when all done!!

Popsicle sticks can be cut, sanded and stained to make floorboards, or you can use "skinny sticks" - available at Michaels, and probably other places, too. The skinny sticks are a slightly better quality wood, and don't seem to warp as much. A costlier alternative is wood veneer. I made a really nice planked floor with oak veneer strips. (Sold in dollhouse stores.) I made a template of the floor with scrapbooking cardstock. I dry-brushed a little brown on the card (which was orange) in case the colour should show through little chinks in the "floorboards". I cut different lengths of veneer, and glued them on the card so the cut ends didn't line up. This gave the look of a "random planked" floor. I only glued one third of the floor at a time, weighted the floorboards with old heavy books, and let the glue dry overnight. When the whole floor was finished, I glued the template into the room, and again used the books to help it dry flat. When it was dry, I put two coats of a matte finish varnish on the floor. I read a few books before attempting this, and they really helped me understand more about floors in general. Although real floorboards would run from front to back, the books I had read recommended laying the floorboards from left to right, which "opens up" the room, and makes it look larger. (Think of the fashion tip - vertical stripes make you look thinner, horizontal stripes widen you.)

BTW, the books that were actually touching the floor as it dried were from a library book sale, and had those plastic dust-jackets on. I didn't have to use anything to prevent any glue seepage from gluing the books to the floor. I used regular white Tacky glue.

I made my wooden floor in my dance studio by staining and glueing in skinny sticks I got from Walmart. I was very pleased with how they turned out. Their a little smaller in width than popsicle sticks and they have square ends.

As for carpetting, I use a very thin layer of tacky glue that I spread on the floor, and I let it get tacky too b4 I lay the carpetting down.

For wood floors I use the skinny sticks they sell at A.C. Moore. I only use theirs because they are cheaper in price than Walmarts. $1.99 for a package of 500.

wow thanks everyone here has great ideas and cheap too just what i need with 5 boys i need cost efficient. Thank to you all I'm going to go out tonight and get the skinny sticks thanks again for all the ideas. I was nervous about asking thinking i might sound stupid. Hopefully I can soon figure out how to put pictures on the sight of my house, I just realized how dark it looks and don't know how to light up outside.