Need color advice on trim!

rbytsdy

Hi folks, I am working on the Laurel exterior. I painted the exterior window trim in "Pomegranate Tea" (Valspar interior eggshell; a mistint that I picked up for cheap that I really like), and I wanted to incorporate brown since the intended girls' mother likes browns, so I did the main trim and shutters in raw umber. I thought that I needed something to temper all the brownish colors, so I added accents in Mint Julep Green because I really like that old vintage jadeite color. The main exterior color is powder beige which is really a cream.

It all sounds great on paper (almost like some sort of gelatin dessert :p ) but now that I have an ensemble to look at, I just don't know. I don't usually go beyond one color on the trim, so not very good at this multi-color thing! Something just seems "off" or "harsh" here, or almost "Halloween" which is definitely not a look that I want for this house. Thoughts?

post-928-0-78299500-1397859251_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

To what I'm seeing in the photo (which may or may not be accurate), I would wonder if what is bothering you is the high contrast between the window frame color as it sits next to the shutter color. There is a wide variance of brightness between the two which might be what you are feeling as "harsh". It's really hard to say from the photo because monitors don't always show the true colors to the viewer. Maybe the compromise is to either tone down the window frame or bring up the contrast level on the shutter so they aren't quite as far apart.

If Brae is strange, then so am I, because I also love the colors as is. To me the main color looks like a soft pink more than baige, and this blends in nicely with the green and brown tones, which have a neutralizing effect. The window frame is brighter, but it highlights the window nicely. Because the inside window panes match the main color of the house and not the window border, it does not look harsh or Halloweenish to me at all.

I vote to leave it as is, but you are the one who has to be happy with it.

I love the colors as-is, with one exception (since you asked and only since you asked—honestly, flowers/plants may smooth it all out and I may eat these next words, but...) —what I notice is that the flowerbox is too *light* to fit nicely in the grouping of colors around the window. It's deep colors left, deep top, deep right, FLOATING bottom.

Now as everyone else has said, our monitors may not be seeing your photo properly. I think all the colors play nicely together. I love the jadeite inside the shutters, for instance. The particular placement/ use of the jadeite color on the flowerbox is what's troubling my eye, not the color itself.

My solution would be to bring your Pomegranate Tea mistint down to the flowerbox: Use it on the carved center motif and the raised edges that I see on the box. You won't be darkening the box so much that it's depressing, but you'll be bringing the deep color around the window and grounding it.

One thing they taught me back in school when I got my degree in interior design is to beware of really light colors on the floor as rooms look funny when the bottoms are floating up, without a great deal of corrective efforts... I think that the flowerbox is having that same effect, at least on my eye.

My 2 cents...

• Like 2

Thanks, Kelly; I spent alot of thought about the color arrangement and had even considered doing the entire flowerbox in the pomegranate tea, but your observation makes sense. I spent all my time in school on equations of electrodynamics and quantum theory :p and I find myself severely lacking in fundamentals of artistic design! (I even send my contest photos to my dad for review and critique as he has an artist's eye...)

• Like 1

Yes, I think this is better, and flowers will give it a good balance also. It is hard to tell but I did put a wash of some old antique gold on the window frame; think I'll put an additional wash on it.

post-928-0-17930300-1397926429_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help, folks!

• Like 4

I thought your color choices were very pretty,too,but agreed with you that something just wasn't right. Kelly had a great idea and I love what you did with it,rbytsdy-it's perfect!

I love it! I love multi colors and bringing out all of the beauty of Victorian color schemes but your the one that really has to love it. Tweak it a little until your satisfied because I've found out the hard way that if I don't like it, it never feels "right" and it will bother me to no end.