First Piece of Mini Furniture

Blondie

Guest Happy Heart

I was thinking about my first piece of mini furniture the other day and thought I'd share.

I bought this bed in 2006 at Tom Thumb in Evanston, IL. It still doesn't have a home. :lol:

What was your very first piece of furniture?

It is a wonderful little bed. I had one like that and sold it. Now, I wish I'd kept it but at the time, need outweighed want.

• Like 2

I just went back to check my blog, because I don't recall what I bought first. I'm not including my childhood dollhouse, but only the builds since I started this hobby as an adult in 2009. I got a box of old furnishings from a friend who helped me cut some new walls with his power tools since I didn't know how (look how far I've come!).

But, my first pieces I bought are the Miele mini appliances for the Newport. :D They make sound and light up.

gallery_4679_3429_2611.jpg

• Like 7

Very Cute Bed! Adorable!

I think the first piece(s) of furniture I bought were bought before I began building dollhouses and fell into this obsession. It was a brass table and chair set with a wine carafe and cups that matched. They are put away right now, but don't think they'd fit into any of the dollhouses I have to build. I think they are too big. I will get them out someday and try them.

• Like 1

My first furniture we purchased when Hobby Lobby had 50% off on dollhouse items, we bought a kit to learn with , the Princess Ann and 4 rooms of furniture sets! And then miniatures took over my life, sounds like something someone would say in a group of people trying to recover from some addiction LOL

• Like 4

Also not counting the tissues, magazine cut outs, and boxes, etc. from childhood furniture forays - my first real purchase was approx. 1980 and it was a sewing machine. Apropos since I'm a seamstress in my other life. Shortly thereafter it was followed by a brass nursery crib and brass bed. The beds came with flowered bedding. I still have them somewhere packed away.

• Like 1

Aside from the metal dollhouse and plastic furniture I had for Christmas 1956, I bought a pewter tea set at the Field Museum that is a replica of one in Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle displayed there. I think It was 1963 or so.

• Like 1

There were the sets of 1:12 furniture we picked up in SF's Chinatown for the scratch-built dollhouse DH & I made our eldest granddaughter; really horrid upholstered LR set and in a mini shop that we couldn't find last time we were there we found an icebox & stove. Once I started building kits I started making most of the furniture.

• Like 1

I can't remember if I posted this pic before. The table was given to me a long time ago by my grandmother. Ive always displayed it on a shelf. My sister gave me the matching fireplace this past November. I never knew it existed. I just looked them both up and Ruby Lane has them priced at $550 for the table and $595 for the fireplace, but mine is nicer. They we made by Erhard and Sohne. It never occurred to me that they had real value. Very pleased.

• Like 4

My first piece was the House of Miniatures Chest on Chest kit. It was the first kit that you got when you signed up for the monthly kit subscription. Each month they sent you a new kit (and a bill). It was also the first furniture kit that I ever made. I've still got it, but plan to sell it with a lot of one inch scale pieces I no longer want. :D

• Like 2

I vividly remember my first piece, and I still have it in the dining room of my Country House. It is a tea wagon that I bought in the hobby shop where I bought the Model Homes Country House kit my father put together for me. It is a standard piece that can be purchased in most online stores with a large miniature inventory.

At the time, miniature shows in shopping malls were popular, and that day there happened to be one in the mall where the hobby store was located. After I bought the tea wagon, I saw the same piece at the mall minature show, only the vendor was selling it cheaper. My family thought I should have bought the cheaper one and returned the original, but I refused because it was my very first purchase, and therefore special. I bought several other pieces at that miniature show, but I only specifically remember the tea wagon.

By the way Blondie, Brae, and Sable, those are all very lovely first pieces. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

• Like 2

Deborah,The House of Miniatures Club chest on chest was my first furniture kit,too-back in the early 80s. By the time I joined the club (For a dollar!),I had already picked up my first store bought pieces in the local truckstop's gift shop,of all places! They were a grandfather clock and a rocking chair;nice looking,inexpensive pieces. In a brief,foolish moment of "I'm too old for this!" a couple of years later I gave the chair and clock to some younger relatives. :( But I still have and treasure the chest on chest,which has an honored spot on a whatnot shelf in my living room.

• Like 2

It was a dura-craft living room set, fully assembled and 'upholstered'. I bought the whole thing from a lady at a dollhouse show. She did a beautiful job (at least according to my memory). She only wanted $20 for the full set! Best use of babysititng money I ever spent. I think I was about 14 years old.

The first piece I bought as an adult was the Chrysnbon China cabinet from HBS and my account order history says that was August of 2007 :D

• Like 3

My very first dollhouse kit was the Canterbury, which has furniture pieces in the kit to put together. Technically those were my "first" . The only pieces of that I was pleased with was the bed, hutch and bookcase, I don't know which was actually built first. Since my favorite room is always the kitchen, my first piece of bought , put together furniture was a stove.

• Like 2