Mini Shops in Venice, Italy and Paris, France?

moonberry

I am super excited!

I've always wanted to see Venice and Paris. So, for my 40th birthday in August, we are going to Venice for 8 days and Paris for 3 days.

I have a LOT to plan, we are taking the girls to Disneyland Paris for one day. One day for sightseeing and then one day for shopping.

Venice is more flexible, we're not rushing and have enough time there to explore.

But just in case I miss something wonderful in my Google searches, do you know of any 1:12 scale shops in those cities that are worth visiting?

I know a lot of the European shops are very expensive, but I've never been in a miniatures shop, so it would be a worthwhile experience - and if I see something affordable, yay for me!

I found an artisan making miniature Venetian buildings in resin, not sure of the exact scale, but I'm thinking it is more 1:24 scale. Here's his website (it isn't very detailed): www.morogiovanni.com.

• Like 1

There is Lea Frisoni's shop Dentelles et ribambelles. She doesn't have a lot to buy but does have some of her hand-made items for sale and has some of her dollhouses on display. It is located at 6 Rue des 3 Frères, Paris. I think we used the Abesses metro station to get there. Worth climbing the Sacre Couer hill for the view whilst you're there.

Then there are two in the Passage Jouffroy, Pain d'Epice and La Boite a Joujoux. Pain d'epice has some very cute hand-made kits to buy (shops mostly) plus a range of other fairly standard minis. La Boite a Joujoux has a good range of unfinished half scale furniture and a small range of other minis, plus a heap of other collectibles, including Tintin stuff. They did have an interesting range of ceramic mini floor tiles made in France I think. Also, the Passage Jouffroy is lovely.

All these shops have websites if you google them.

I believe there is another one, but not really sure. Also, we saw those mini ceramic buildings in many shops in France, I think including the ones in Passage Jouffroy. They are small, probably smaller than 144th scale from recollection.

Also, you absolutely cannot miss the Paris Opera House (Opera Garnier), especially if you are not going to Versailles. It is simply mind-bogglingly amazing.

• Like 1

There is Lea Frisoni's shop Dentelles et ribambelles. She doesn't have a lot to buy but does have some of her hand-made items for sale and has some of her dollhouses on display. It is located at 6 Rue des 3 Frères, Paris. I think we used the Abesses metro station to get there. Worth climbing the Sacre Couer hill for the view whilst you're there.

Then there are two in the Passage Jouffroy, Pain d'Epice and La Boite a Joujoux. Pain d'epice has some very cute hand-made kits to buy (shops mostly) plus a range of other fairly standard minis. La Boite a Joujoux has a good range of unfinished half scale furniture and a small range of other minis, plus a heap of other collectibles, including Tintin stuff. They did have an interesting range of ceramic mini floor tiles made in France I think. Also, the Passage Jouffroy is lovely.

All these shops have websites if you google them.

I believe there is another one, but not really sure. Also, we saw those mini ceramic buildings in many shops in France, I think including the ones in Passage Jouffroy. They are small, probably smaller than 144th scale from recollection.

Also, you absolutely cannot miss the Paris Opera House (Opera Garnier), especially if you are not going to Versailles. It is simply mind-bogglingly amazing.

Lene,

I haven't been to Paris since I was in high school... and minis was not in my realm of interests at that time (shocking I know... LOL) ... so I can't help you there....

Venice.... ahhhh Venice... my most favorite place in the whole world. I've been there several times, the last just this past October. While I did not see any actual "mini" shops on the island (not that we hit up every inch of the island... so there may be some) ... and there may be some on the mainland??? ... there is; however, lots and lots of glass, some it perfect for minis. I got my mouse Mr. Wigglesworth in Murano, and I also picked up several tiny animals, hand blown mini vases... Venetian glass beads that will work for ... something... ha ha.. I added them to my stash.

Not really mini related... I highly suggest a day trip out to Murano and Burano... it's a short boat ride to these islands, and there are several others in the lagoon... but these are my favorite. Venice can get a bit congested and overwhelming with tourists during the day... especially around San Marco Plaza... so venturing off to the other islands is a nice reprieve. Also... make sure to check out San Marco in the evening... there are dueling bands all around the plaza and it is magical.... (also overridden with peddlers though too... so keep an eye out).....

Enjoy your trip... it sounds wonderful.

Hugs,

Kelly

• Like 1

A customer of mine from Italy once said he knows of no dollhouse shops anywhere in Italy. I did come across a website for a shop in Milan once. I remember she also mentioned that the hobby of dollhouse miniatures is unknown in Italy. A customer from France once complained that they don't have many miniatures in France either. I spoke on the phone once with a customer from some country in central America. She just sighed and said "we have NOTHING miniature anywhere." :weep:

• Like 1

Wow Shannon - thank you for the info! I shall Google them and see how I can fit them in with our two excursion days.

Venice.... ahhhh Venice... my most favorite place in the whole world. I've been there several times, the last just this past October. While I did not see any actual "mini" shops on the island (not that we hit up every inch of the island... so there may be some) ... and there may be some on the mainland??? ... there is; however, lots and lots of glass, some it perfect for minis. I got my mouse Mr. Wigglesworth in Murano, and I also picked up several tiny animals, hand blown mini vases... Venetian glass beads that will work for ... something... ha ha.. I added them to my stash.

Thanks Kelly, Burano and Murano are definitely on the cards, even if only to take tons and tons of photos.

I just LOVE Venetian glass and will be aiming to buy as many miniature-scaled pieces as I can afford.

They are bound to be lighter than the normal scale vases, so my husband should be thankful heeheehee!

There is actually this store in Italy. I recieved a shipment from them today as a matter of fact!

http://www.piccoletentazioni.it/ptshop/index_l2.php

Thank you for this link - there are some beautiful pieces! Sadly, it is not in Venice itself. But I live in hope of walking down a winding alley and coming upon a miniatures shop!!!

I'll bet you'll find some wonderful possibilities in the glass shops in Venice. I remember being so overwhelmed with the beauty in those shops. I'll bet there will be something just right for minis.

• 3 weeks later...