New and interested in doing some free projects for u guys

AprilRain

Hi!

I'm sorry if this post was supposed to be on the trading board, I just assumed that if it's free then it's not considered trading :)

Anyway, I'm new to this community and recently I started developing a hobby of creating 1:12 scale miniatures from polymer clay, wood, paper etc.

I enjoy making these minis, however, I do not have a dollhouse, nor do I have space in my house for a dollhouse. I also don't really enjoy collecting miniatures, just making them. It also gets pretty boring for me to make miniatures without a purpose or a cause, because once I finish making them they just stay in my drawer. I believe they deserve a worthy (doll) home and someone who would enjoy them :)

Therefore, and also since I'm still experimenting with this new hobby, I thought I'd offer to make some custom items for you guys here, 100% free. The only thing I'd ask is for you to help me out with the shipping costs, that's all, and I can deliever several items in one package.

So let me know your thoughts on this. And if you're in for it, please post a description or a picture of what you'd like to have in your dollhouse and I'll see if I can make it for you. I can try to make food items or any other item that can be made from clay, as well as wooden furniture, cutting boards, wooden trays and stuff like chocolate boxes and take-out boxes from paper (I sometimes make my own printies). Just please bear in mind that this is just a hobby and I work full time in an office so it might take me some time to get things done.

I've attached pictures of some items I recently made. Some of them are not yet finished (I had planned to make a drawer at some point lol).

post-43652-0-81808100-1382597547_thumb.j

post-43652-0-43684200-1382597595_thumb.j

post-43652-0-60519700-1382597631_thumb.j

• Like 1

Hey Shiri,

I started like you, where I only created miniatures...then I bought a couple of houses..then the minis came out of the drawer ;)

A wonderful offer! I would also like to give you a couple of Ideas. Swapping with someone might be a nice option for you, a lot of us have done this and still do it from time to time. That way, you are making wonderful loving minis.... and getting a gift as well!

Also consider shadowboxes or bookshelf boxes etc. I find myself more interested in creating small scenes that will fit on the wall like art or a bookshelf sized roombox. You can always combine your swaps in there also ;)

...for instance I went on a cake and cookie making spree..we all do, and turned it into my daughters bakery box for her birthday!

Its just foamboard, so cheap and lightweight!

DSCN5157+%25282%2529.jpg

Good luck with the mini's, look forward to seeing more from you;)

• Like 1

Hey Jane, thanks for the ideas!

The small boxes scenes sounds really nice, never thought of that. Although my boyfriend already thinks our joint home is way too girly... but he'll deal with it :)

Your bakery box is lovely! Nicely done!

I may start building a box like that soon, it'll be a nice project, but right now I only have room for maybe one box in my tiny place, so my offer still stands for the time being, for whoever interested :).

• Like 1

Hi Shiri! I imagine shipping costs from another country would be really high,huh? I hope you decide to build yourself a dollhouse or some roomboxes to display your mini art...If you haven't already,take a look around the Greenleaf store or ebay at dollhouse kits-I bet you'll find one you can fit in your home. Good luck! ^_^ Kat

AprilRain - your food looks really nice! My suggestion is to open an Etsy store where you can keep making lots of stuff and have them readily available for sale. I understand your love of making things even if you don't have a use for them yourself.

JaneS - Love the bakery box!

• Like 1

Shiri that is such a wonderful and generous offer, and since everyone's time is so valuable, it is not an offer most people would extend beyond their family members and closests of friends. I therefore admire your love for your hobby and willingness to share it with others.

I wish I had a trait to offer in return, but for the most part, I am the opposite of you - I like collecting and rearranging miniatures, but I don't like making them. So if you should ever find yourself with a lot of miniature items on your hands, I can give you some ideas of the projects you can turn them into.

I am currently into purchasing food items for my dollhouse occupants and recently ordered a ham from Dollhouse Collectibles. They have a nice selection, and the ham I ordered was garnished with cherries, which I thought was something nice and different. Unfortunately, the ham wasn't shipped with my order, and since they are behind in orders, I am not sure if/when I will receive this. If I don't receive it in two weeks, I may ask you if you would like to attempt this.

In the meantime, I like everyone's ideas, and I urge you to just make whatever inspires you and save your creations. Soon enough you may have a nice little store like Jane's or you can find your nitch in the market.

Thanks so much for joining us on this site and for wanting to expand your talents.

• Like 1

Wow Maureen thanks so much for the kind words! :)

Right now I'm not into selling my stuff, but I will save some of my creations for a possible future store. Anyway for the time being it will make me happy to create some items and send them to you nice people. There's enough clay in the world for both a store and this forum. And I'm developing my method of sculpting as I go.

I have lately made this little pack of pastrami attached to this message. Let me know if you want it (and some additional items to be sent together to make the postage worth its cost).

post-43652-0-60437000-1382643571_thumb.j

Shiri,

I can see members are afraid to say, 'pick me, pick me'. How sweet of you to offer. I put my thinking cap on trying to come up with something fun I would like and I think I thought of something I would LOVE. Maybe others here would also. Christmas foods. Baked items like gingerbread men would be fun. Also, since your space is limited and you enjoy polymer, may I suggest 1/4 and 1/2 scale? I love the smaller sizes. You could spend years filling a smaller scale piece.

Another idea... Donate your items to a mini club doing a fundraiser. You could use your talent and kind heart to help with a worthy cause.

Welcome to the forum, Shiri. I look forward to more pictures :)

Have fun,

Morgan

• Like 1

Shiri, making things for 1:24 scale and smaller would also broaden your horizens. I wound up making most of the furniture I didn't have kits for because the ready-made "1:24" furniture I had was really 1:32 and looked ridiculous next to the actual 1:24 items. And I bet you'd have room for one of the GL 1:24 laser-cut houses.

Hi Shiri! I imagine shipping costs from another country would be really high,huh? I hope you decide to build yourself a dollhouse or some roomboxes to display your mini art...If you haven't already,take a look around the Greenleaf store or ebay at dollhouse kits-I bet you'll find one you can fit in your home. Good luck! ^_^ Kat

It's postage FROM the US to overseas that's ridiculously high. I had to stop swapping with my overseas buddies for that reason, after we retired.

Well I don't think my fingers can handle anything smaller than 1:12 scale, it's gets frustrating as it is to make those small details :)

But thanks for the suggestion!

As for buckeyepie and Stacey, I promised you piccies, so here's what I made so far for you two. Still planning on making many more items for you, you just gotta be patient :D

post-43652-0-26428000-1383331422_thumb.j