My Lily has begun to bloom...

moonberry

The creator mentions getting one of the bins at dollshouse emporium and that she (he) couldn't remember where the other one came from.

(Mentioned on this page http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/spring-fling-exterior )

Green Wheelie Bin: http://www.dollshouse.com/dhe/product-details.aspx?code=6190&ref=search

• Like 1

Be sure to check Brae's blog. She usually credits other artists or the suppliers for accessories that she doesn't make herself. Her work is in her gallery here, but there are always extra little tidbits on her blog, and she is wonderful about explaining her process during a build. There is a tutorial for the fish tank here

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/saltwater-aquarium-in-1-12-scale

:D

• Like 1

My furniture arrived this afternoon!

The sectional sofa set is different from the picture (original order's picture was black & white stripes), and the one I received was black & beige stripes - actually PERFECT, so I'm happy with this error. The beach colours just work better for me than the white stripes would have done.

The cream kitchen set split nicely into the two rooms, as I had imagined they would.

And the bedroom set gave me enough little cabinets to move around the other living spaces too.

post-28022-0-32957200-1382637185_thumb.j

Now that I have my furniture, I can plan my paint colours and flooring for each room :ohyeah:

I'm thinking of plain cream roman blinds on all the windows, with glossy paint for the ceilings (to reflect "ocean light"). I may also paint the stairs with fake carpeting (nautical stripes maybe). None of the stairs are very visible after the build, so I don't have to fuss over them too much.

I also found a cheap baby furry waistcoat (driftwood colour) that I'm going to cut up to make a nice thick blanket for the bed.

And then this little girl found me in the toy section:

post-28022-0-27150500-1382639629_thumb.j

Meet Cookie, the sea lion. She's super friendly and I'm sure she'll fetch the ball no matter if it lands on the beach or in the water heeheehee.

The other things are: brass inlaid wooden chest from the souq,

* little brass working compass keychain. I have another one of a brass diver's helmet, but cannot find it at the moment, I'm still looking for a little wooden ship's wheel!

* plastic fish that came with Cookie. I'm going to mount it on a wooden plaque for the wall,

* two blue ceramic bowls that I found in cheap bags of incense cones (I actually went back and bought the brown and red ones too),

* plate of cooked crab (magnet) and

* blue glazed pottery vase from a little stand selling Indian collectibles (there are 6 all together).

Oh, and the brass earring hanging in the doorway was a lucky find - the shop lost the other one, so I got it for a dollar! it is sliced so you can see right through it (didn't show up nicely in the picture), but it would make a gorgeous light fitting for the living room. As I'm not electrifying my house, I get to be more "out of the box" creative with things!!

I am super excited about everything!

I contacted the supplier of the sectional living room set - they told me that the manufacturer had changed the fabric without notifying them, so they will update their web picture of it. I really liked the black and white striped one too! Maybe I'll try to copy the design and make my own chairs - it looks basic enough.

And goodness knows I have tons of off-cuts from quilting and batting to use up!!!

I also contacted Hobby Builders Supply about the dry rot on sheet 7 of my Lily. They offered to ship a replacement sheet within 2 days - awesome customer service! However, a single sheet is going to break into splinters the way the courier companies handle things.

So I asked them to hold on until end November. Then I'm ordering my Brimbles Mercantile and they can cut/fit the Lily's sheet into THAT box and send the whole lot over - AFTER checking the Brimbles for dry rot too, of course!

And then I will own my top 3 favourite dollhouses - WHOOP WHOOP :bouncesmile:

I also have my beady eye on the Harborside Mansion and the Queen Anne by Real Good Toys..... but they are much thicker wood and too heavy to ship...... FOR NOW!!!!!!! mwuahahahahahaha...........

• Like 1

I've never had a whole sheet fall apart like that but window frames sometimes come all apart and it's very upsetting. There are a lot of good ideas mentioned above so hope you can get the pieces you need making patterns and using foam core or something like it. Sheet balsa wood might work too and it can be stained. It's easy to cut with an Exacto knife and glues easily with white glue. I don't know if the 1/8th inch balsa is available where you are.

Yes, I was lucky enough to find some basswood - a piece 36 x 8 inches cost a whopping $31.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dubai doesn't have any natural woods and crafting/DIY is a very expensive and minority hobby unfortunately.

That's why I'm glad that Hobby Builders is going to send me a replacement sheet, whew!

I'll save my large piece for an emergency repair or to make some nice furniture.