Greenleaf's Seventh Annual Spring Fling Contest

Thanks! I'm excited, but slightly stressed about time on it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, which is time consuming to begin with, but then when everything is sooooo small....ha well. I'll make it happen. As long as my 9 month old keeps a decent sleep schedule! HA!

Thanks! I'm excited, but slightly stressed about time on it. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, which is time consuming to begin with, but then when everything is sooooo small....ha well. I'll make it happen. As long as my 9 month old keeps a decent sleep schedule! HA!

To quote our dear Tracy (minis on the edge) always remember that "inch by inch, it's a cinch, but by the yard, it gets hard" (not an exact quote - I'm sure I'll be corrected).

Anyhow, point is, that just take it in small bits, a little at a time and you'll make it. Look at what you have accomplished instead of fretting over what you "still have to go".

Make a plan of your most important items (can't live without), then a list of the next important and so one until you get to the list of things that would be nice but you could do without. Spending even 15 minutes each day will add up quickly. As to the perfectionists part, take photos now and then and see what actually shows up as important. It gives you a log of your building progress too but also helps to weed out the non-important things to obsess over.

Good luck - we love lots of pictures but only give us sneak peeks for now. Can't wait to see your theme in November when the work is complete.

• Like 2

Thanks, that's a really good point. I'm actually hoping to get a solid work time everynight now. My husband just started a new work shift, and he's gone most of the evening now, so after I put my daughter to bed, off to mini making I go!

Two things, Nicole: first, go over to the Newcomers' Forum and introduce yourself; second, you're a perfectionist? Get over it! Seriously, as mini of our members can tell you first hand, seeking perfection is a losing battle and you'll wind up doing nothing and feeling miserable about it. Give yourself permission to mess up and make mistakes, mistakes can be fixed or covered over. Instead I suggest trying for realism, even if it's a fantasy-themed build you're making. And LISTEN to the kit, it will tell you what it wants and how to achieve it.

• Like 2

Welcome, Nicole! You've just gotten some very sage advice... from Selkie and Holly. 1) introduce yourself; 2) join any forums that interest you (there are loads), and 3) forget the word perfectionist (well, we all are -- anyone dealing with so many tiny details would have to be, to begin with, BUT as Holly said, Get over it! You'd be surprised how many good things come from messing up and starting over -- or, at least, rethinking what you planned to do, and maybe seeing it all from a whole different angle!

Oh, and 4) you probably are thinking that this Holly lady is nuts. The kit is gonna talk to me??? Well, just you wait and see. We all thought that -- at the beginning -- until it started talking. So just listen and go with the flow. Don't try to force it to go your way -- you won't win!!! Holly probably knows more about mini-ing than all of us put together, so you can bet your mini on whatever she tells you! (I can see the blush from here!)

Last of all, you can't possibly be much farther than I from finished. Had some health issues earlier and only started my SF about 3 weeks ago, and I absolutely expect to finish in time! Just keep repeating "two and a half more months!" No problem. You'll have some fun reading through these posts and looking at our "sneak peeks" where everything is in code -- just because whatever each of us is making has to be a deep dark secret, only to be unveiled after our contest photos are sent in!'

Questions, problems, need to vent? We're here for ya'!

Most definitely off topic, but has anyone gone to one of these NAME meetings? There's an Alabama Fun Day event in Huntsville on 9/14/13. I just got an e-mail about this. The project is making a "Book Nook" bookend (or 2). Question: is it worth the trip/cost or, most important, a couple of days away from Spring Flinging? I just joined NAME at a Tom Bishop show in Atlanta last March (couldn't resist the show as it tied in with my driving down to south Florida for a week), so I haven't gone to any of these workshops. Sounds interesting, but I sure don't want to wind up thinking that I'd have been better off staying home and Flinging!!!

Thanks for the instant advice! I created a new member forum for myself! And the perfection stuff makes sense!

Also, I totally get the "speaking" to me. I'm an artist. Literally, I went to college for it. I can't tell you how many times my Professors would say, "just let it speak to you, what color does that apple really want to be.."

I assure, my kit has made itself known loud and clear.

:)

An artist,I love that!!Then you can teach us old dogs a thing or two! :) Of course,there are lots of wonderful dollhouse artisans here you will enjoy meeting,(not necessarily myself included,but I'm trying!) It is always so good to see younger people getting into this beloved hobby! This is a great time for you to indulge,too. With your husband's work schedule and your little girl still so young,you can get in alot of time for YOU,which every new wife and mommy must take care to get!! Enjoy!

Nicole, I'm also sure your art profs also taught you to worry less with perfection than technique. In minis it's mostly smoke and mirrors with a bit of table trash thrown in.

• Like 2

Finally some movement! This SF thread has been awfully quiet :hmm: I was hoping someone was making better progress than me, so Go Blondie! :cheer:

The weekend is looking promising. While my SF has been giving me the silent treatment, it noticed I was turning my attention back to the White Rose and started rumbling. :)

Experiments in paperclay today. OMG this stuff is sticky...trying to get a drier workable consistency...hmm...need drawing skills for doing stone...had to start over...trying bricks :)

Kellyannmo and the rest of you make it look so easy! :hmm:

I'm still working away bit by bit. I finished a non-mini project I had on the go today and now that it won't be on my mind, I can go full force until the end of October. :whistle: By the way...I dropped a few hints in today's blog post.

April, I think I got the hints, but will have to wait and see. BTW, your BH is gorgeous! :)

Well, we are back from our little "before school starts" jaunt and I'm finally on the last load of laundry !!

We had a wonderful time and they were able to do lots of new-to-them activities.
Twinkle just headed out to the workshop but I have some business work to do before I can get out there to work on mine.

I do have the advantage of being able to work on it after the kiddos begin school which she does not.

What with homework and extracurricular activities, it's tough to fit in much of the big construction things.

We told her she needed to have all that done before school starts and only have the fussy decorating things left for afterwards.

I do need to dash out for a bit to help her with her cutting on the big saw.

We have a safety rule of not using it without supervision and a second person in attendance.

Silly old overprotective gram that I am, you know.

We have a safety rule of not using it without supervision and a second person in attendance.

Silly old overprotective gram that I am, you know.

You're one smart cookie, Gram. :thumb:

Your safety rule sure makes complete sense to me!

You're one smart cookie, Gram. :thumb:

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Around here, I get the "roll eyes" look and the accompanying cluck or whatever that noise is, ma-a-a-a-any times a day. Teens know everything, don't forget ... sigh ....

• Like 2